Darrell Banks Is Here! (well, not really)

2»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I picked up a "Darrell Banks Is Here!" for 30 us on ebay in nice shape about 6 months ago. Great album.

Here's my favorite DB track:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=29LWFLY4YVULF1I9CQKP2TLI4F

Peace

h

that is dope! Thanks! Is that track on the album in question?

Hey,

Naw, its on a 45". Its also on a great comp called Darrell Banks "The Lost Soul". Really, that whole lp is banging to me. Very worthwhile. Saw James Carr mentioned before. Gotta give him his props, too.

Here's a James Carr track that's Bassie approved:

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1QV4IHJK4IOU92W6QNF2NOVT3X

Peace

h

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

That said, both of his albums were consistently good. DARRELL BANKS IS HERE! is from '67 and is reminiscent of several of the Detroit soul singers of the time (Steve Mancha, pre-Motown Edwin Starr, etc.). His 1969 Volt album (I forget the title) is produced by Don Davis (I THINK, and kinda sounds like Johnnie Taylor's stuff from the same era, only not as bluesy. Both recommended, and both reissued on CD if you want it bad enuff.

Disn't Stax or Volt issue a split LP between Banks and Mancha??

jj barnes / mancha = "raer stamps"

Ahahhh! That bastard Barnes stealing Darrell's thunder again!

Actually, i would tip Mancha above the 2 others - he changed his name from Clyde Wilson to that of the Don Quixote hero( though I don't think he ever did "the impossible dream" - that would be really 'meta' tho)

He was an invaluable writer & producer on alot of great tracks in addition to being a fantastically soulful singer. The Don Davis produced Groove City 45 "Hate Yourself in the Morning" is wonderful & not all that expensive - because it's merely a heartbreaking slowie instead of a pounding 'stomper'...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

That said, both of his albums were consistently good. DARRELL BANKS IS HERE! is from '67 and is reminiscent of several of the Detroit soul singers of the time (Steve Mancha, pre-Motown Edwin Starr, etc.). His 1969 Volt album (I forget the title) is produced by Don Davis (I THINK, and kinda sounds like Johnnie Taylor's stuff from the same era, only not as bluesy. Both recommended, and both reissued on CD if you want it bad enuff.

Disn't Stax or Volt issue a split LP between Banks and Mancha??

jj barnes / mancha = "raer stamps"

Ahahhh! That bastard Barnes stealing Darrell's thunder again!

not quite, there's a CD on stax called THE SOUL OF DETROIT that pairs darrell's volt LP with the barnes/mancha RARE STAMPS, so that's a good one-stop shop for non-motown detroit soul

• I love Darrell Banks...personally I think his music is appropriately funky for the type of songs he does.
    So far every single on Ric Tic and Atco I've heard by him have been awesome.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    His 1969 Volt album (I forget the title)

"Here To Stay". UNFUKWITTABLE. I probably overpaid for my personal copy of this, but it was worth every overpaid cent.

• 'Our Love (Is In The Pocket)' on Revilot is how you say, unfuckwithable...

Amen!
    I have the Canuck vinyl pressing.
    It has a pink coloured label.
    I like it a lot.

Why don't more arrangers use vibes like the way Motown and Motown-a-like soul records did? I miss that sound. Ultra-goodness.