Weekend Finds...

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just one this weekend - I wasn't supposed to get anything, but this one was a bit of a white whale for me, ie wanted a clean OG for over 15 years, and it popped up in an unexpected spot:

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Came up pretty well today for a quick half hour dig, found a holy grail of mine- local private folk lp called Jackdaw. Last copy I found I sold for $350, might have to keep it this time around.

Also from the same store-

Papaya s/t- another local private joint
    Jandek- one foot in the north, minty in shrink
    Linda Cohen- leda (feat. membors of The Mandrake Memorial) nice stuff
    Big Sur Choir-peaceable (anybody no this one?)
    Karen Beth- the joys of life
    Karen Beth- new moon rising
    wow, nice finds dude! got another copy of that Papaya, i see?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Thats's the rock-thing she did with Les Baxter. Love that one. I was just listening to "Legend Of The Jivaro" recently. I really like Yma Sumac. Crazy voice.

I've been really stressed-out lately; moving all my stuff to a new apartment and getting the old one in a suitable shape for subletting. Haven't had the time or the energy to think of anything else for the past 1-2 weeks. I had no idea what the hell was going on in the outside world. I didn't even know about the whole New Orleans situation until friday!!! My thoughts go out to everyone overseas and especially the people living in the critical region. Missed out on the heatrock auctions. Good initiative. Sounds like it raked in a good amount of dough for the cause. Big ups to SS for that.

Anyway, back on topic. Got a little bit of flea market action saturday and went to the record fair sunday:

Unfortunately, all my equipment is still packed up, so I can't hear the rackords

• Papaya s/t- another local private joint

Is that the one on Wolf?

yeah

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My pics ain't showing, cuz the server is down, damnit.

• Some from the last few weeks. Slowly sorting through em all...

nice! did you get that Compass Rises from Lambert? i was tryin to get at that

• nice! did you get that Compass Rises from Lambert? i was tryin to get at that

Naw it came in a package from my friend dave (he doesn't post on the board). He sends me insane shit from time to time and I try to do the same back. Pretty cool LP, the best tracks are slow 4/4 rhodes-drenched affairs. Kind of "funky" but that's not the point... pretty creative stuff from douds who weren't trying to be ornette ayler coltrane.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts/fleas/secret spot:

the music inc (on strata east) and beach boys are doubles (i think pet sounds i have like 5 copies of)

--the Sounds of Love A to Zzzz record is a weird as hades moog/synth record with all sorts of sensuous noises of a woman moaning and panting playing throughout! "SINthysizer" -- As seen on David Letterman's weird records. Found in a box labeled "Free" at a nearby firehall bakesale!

book i found on sculptor harry bertoia. he also put out some records on his sound sculptures---it sounds like white noise, but is kind of cool.

----Story Time---

Ok, I found this at a auction in a box lot of 78s. I wanted it because I never had seen the kind of records (they are smaller than 78s -- one sided and about the size of a 7" record)I paid only 2 bucks!!!!

These just so happen to be Berliner's Records. Don't know what they are?? Neither did I when I first picked them up. They are some of the first/earliest recordings ever made on disc. They are the first 'platter' type of records. Berliner is responsible for making recorded music as the way we know it. Berliner invented the gramophone and apparently by 1900 sold his company to what became RCA Victor. His dog-- and the use of "his master's voice" was his trademark that became known as the RCA logo. These recordings do not have any of those logos on them--
    they look like someone scribbled on the center of the record-- there was no label, per se-- but it is pretty remarkable.
    they are recordings from 1893-1897.
    They also go for mega cash -- anywhere from 60 bucks each to almost 600 each on ebay. I found 10 of them!!!

Oh -- and--- I didn't take a photo of it because my digital cam is out of batteries--
    but...
    I also found a weird 78 rpm recording-- larger than the typical 78 (so i got some odd sizes). it's not an acetate or a home recording. it was professionally done, but there is only a white label on it. recording sounds like it was from the 1950s.
    the recording is of none other than LENNY BRUCE!!!!
    He is telling a story that isn't really all that funny, but it is dirty and raunchy and he uses "shit", "bitch", "cunt", "fuck", "whores","goddamn" and "nigger" (not used in a real derogatory manner--only used in discussing what a whore said to another one who discussed 'uncle tom's cabin'). --all of which were pretty taboo words.
    I am trying to find out how i can get in contact with his daughter, who apparently has a ton of his recordings, and has had some of the unreleased ones released.
    this has been a pretty major week for me.
    it has also been a hectic week--with student teaching, trying to remain as reasonably calm and focused in the midst of the n.o. disaster. so...yeah.

• yo dak,

whats that "time is running out" record??? looks dope & slightly familiar.
    whats the joint 2 rows above it??? wow.

let me yodel at that boston is def!!!

for me this weekend:
    rhythm and rhyme

reverie- watch the skies and the one before it...local fusion group with some nice summery moments

pucho- heat! (im still trying to figure out which one has the crazy crashing break twice in the same song)

mckendree spring- going to the country

soulsearchers- salt of the earth (not pretty but plays well)

kanye west- late registration (yes i bought it cause he was dope on that telethon. but the shit is real nice on the first few listens. first song is hot)

james black unreleased stuff on tuffcity (fuck tuff city, but this shit is really really hot, and i got it used , so no proceeds to aron fuks)

and some weird "Lets vote" record w/Erik Nuri as the musician. havent cracked the seal yet. anyone know it? from boston 81/82 ballot box records

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    A few things today-

O'Donel Levy- windows- on groove mercant
    Gabor Szabo- dreams- on skye
    Arnie Lawrence & the children of all ages- inside an hour glass- on embryo
    Michael Hurley- long journey - on rounder
    The Guild-musik- local private folk
    Dave Fritz- 12 string guitar music- private folk lp

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Some recent finds and soulstrut-related trades that i am very happy with (Thanks J**l)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Last week an old time customer was talking bout quadrophonic records so I brought up the black jazz label. He said he would bring what he had to the shop since he hasn't listened to them in years. I got to work this morning and a few titles I still needed from the catalog were here.

Finally have the Roland Haynes- 2nd wave. Facemelter cover indeed.haha
    Also Henry Franklin- the skipper at home and Doug Carn- revelation. And a Cleveland Eaton- plenty good eaton dupe for the hommie.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    A mix of $1-2 finds:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    kanye west- late registration (yes i bought it cause he was dope on that telethon. but the shit is real nice on the first few listens. first song is hot)

it kind of falls apart after golddigger for me - and that's like song #3 or #4

• 3 finds:

Junie - Bread Alone (Columbia)
    Godmoma - Here (Elektra)
    Chicago Gangsters - Life Is Not Easy Without You (Heat)

SG

• tony williams lifetime-ego
    J.B.'s-Doing it to Death (double)
    grant greem-green street
    oliver sain-blue max
    sharkmouth ep
    and this wierd midi drum machine

yo im tryin to holler at your double of Doin it to Death holmes