RIP TOOTS

edited September 2020 in Music Talk
RIP Toots Hibbert

FUCK!!! This hurts!!! I really don't get upset at old musicians dying but legit emotional here. I play his music every evening when I bathe my baby, it's his bedtime music. Fuck, I just wanted him to live forever. He toured like hundreds of dates a year for like 60 years. He invented the word "REGGAE" ffs. I believe in JA for some years Toots and the Maytals were bigger than Bob.

the only guy I've ever seen who rivals James Brown live

full show

great album

whatever y'all know the deal he doesn't miss
RAJDuderonomyElectrodeDORbillbradleyketan

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

DOR

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I just heard. I saw him at the Santa Monica Pier a few years ago where he did a show with Marcia Griffiths. Very energetic. "54-46", "Night And Day" and "Funky Kingston" are my favorites of his. "Country Roads" is one of those covers that is far better than the original. KPFK's "Reggae Central" did a tribute to him this afternoon (https://www.kpfk.org/on-air/reggae-central/). 
    DOR

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    One of my all time fav bands. And now my daughters. RIP.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @bwilliamp on

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:21pm PDT
    DuderonomybillbradleyYemskyklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

• Maybe the first time youtube recommendations weren't absolute doggshit, threw this up for me and I've been enjoying it. SB does some scratching and such but it's pretty tasteful. Personally I even like tasteless scratching anyway

DORdj_cityboy

• oh schnap! I have the entire "Reggae Greats" collection, except for the TOOTS album, ugh....i held it in my hands once and didnt have the $25 in my pocket and the dude wouldnt take $20 (all i had) so i had to walk away from it and here i am without any TOOTS in my collection, Paul (SB) is making up for that now though, thanks for the mix linkage yo!

RIP Toots!

• dj_cityboy [...] the [...] "Reggae Greats" collection, except for the TOOTS album, ugh....i held it in my hands once and didnt have the $25 in my pocket and the dude wouldnt take $20 (all i had) so i had to walk away from it 
    [...]

I had no idea those compilations go for that amount. They were 4.99 for ages, I remember. 

But I can relate to passing on Toots records as the big hits were all included in so many staple Reggae compilations anyway that I rather spent my teenage money on the latest dancehall...

• Yemsky said:
    dj_cityboy [...] the [...] "Reggae Greats" collection, except for the TOOTS album, ugh....i held it in my hands once and didnt have the $25 in my pocket and the dude wouldnt take $20 (all i had) so i had to walk away from it 
    [...]

I had no idea those compilations go for that amount. They were 4.99 for ages, I remember. 

But I can relate to passing on Toots records as the big hits were all included in so many staple Reggae compilations anyway that I rather spent my teenage money on the latest dancehall...

^^ yeah they go for a good amount here on the East Coast of Canada, but that depends on where you find them...i bought about 15 of those albums from a Radio Station (Q104) that was selling off their records, i paid $1 for all of the ones i got that day, i bought 2 more "Reggae Greats" albums from a record fair last year and they were about $15 each. Taz Records (one of the the local record joints) had the Toots copy for $20, they usually dont mess with prices "whats listed is whats listed" basically, but i even tried to get $5 off just on the strength of "them seeing me there frequently" but dude didnt budge...