MANU DIBANGO RIP

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
This Covid-19 death hit a little close to home today. Can we please give this man a proper tribute with any songs or memories about Emmanuel N'Djoké "Manu" Dibango

- Spidey

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    You’ve seen this reported as Covid-19 related?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Virus also got Aurlus Mabele (Congolese King of Soukous Music).

RIP

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This is how I was introduced to Manu Dibango on the dancefloor.

- spidey

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Yeah this is sad.  One of my mates claims he invented disco but i I haven’t thought about that very carefully.  Still, he was a giant.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    ketan said:
    Yeah this is sad.  One of my mates claims he invented disco but i I haven’t thought about that very carefully.  Still, he was a giant.

Earl Young IMO. Invented Disco.

DOR said:
    ketan said:

Earl Young IMO. Invented Disco.

Popcorn was at least the first big EDM song. 

- spidey

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    There's also the rare "Countdown At Kusini" soundtrack. The film was also titled as "Cool Red" and has not been released on any format since, as far as I know. 

He also did the music for "Ceddo", which was a couple of years after. Full movie on YouTube: 

ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^^ i've got some of his records, and soul makossa was one of my first "finds" when i was a teenaguh, but i haven't gone down a manu dibango youtube hole - thanks, i'm sure there's lots of great stuff there.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    ketan said:
    ^^ i've got some of his records, and soul makossa was one of my first "finds" when i was a teenaguh, but i haven't gone down a manu dibango youtube hole - thanks, i'm sure there's lots of great stuff there.

the album he recorded with Sly & Robbie is my jam, even the mandatory version of Soul Makossa is good:

SPlDEY