Lost John Coltrane Quartet Album

Looks to be some recordings 2 years prior to A Love Supreme. Without a doubt I will cop.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/arts/music/john-coltrane-lost-album-both-directions-at-once.html

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Definitely on my list.

GJ 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Me too.

I saw the Coltrane exhibit at the Grammy Museum in LA recently and there were some nice gems, including an isolation room blasting a live performance of My Favorite Things (can't remember if I poasted about this here before).

Some pics I took...

His initial (only?) Prestige contract

KILLER line-up.  "Coltrane Jam Session"

45s  I covet

Program from his service

SoundOutLoudJimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Looks like a killer lineup, can't wait to hear the whole thing.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Did anyone else here pick it up?

I got the double LP/"Deluxe" vinyl, and it is masterful.

GJ
    Jimster

• Sorry I    missed this. I got the same & agree. I think the first LP I felt was particularly powerful, the thing that struck me was the breadth of composition and improvisations. I love hearing the more straight bebop numbers where you can hear the exploration in their solos, like they were searching to move beyond their current form. The best example of this is probably on the second LP Impressions, of which there are like four versions. But after four renditions it gets tedious for most, including myself. Overall I think this release is a treasure and can stand on its own as an important waypoint in the Coltrane evolution, not some throw-away tapes released as a cash grab.
    Jimster

I think they did a great job on the sound, I dunno how much this is down to it being recorded super-well in the studio or the magic of 21st-centuy gizmotrons sprinkling magic stardust on it for the discerning purchaser, but I was expecting bootleg-style meandering of volume etc.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    It's an easy album to step into and listen to again and again.  And yeah, I agree, it *sounds* really good.

And the fucker makes it sound easy, always.

• Agree to all of the above. Especially the way the album opens up with a quick chirp from the control room and as they start playing its like you have stepped into the room with them.