direct-to-disc 2018

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
edited June 2018 in Strut Central
this kid makes me feel old and lazy:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44196835

Are there many studios around still that direct cut vinyl? I've was never sure what the advantage/disadvantage was in terms of the quality of the recording  ??

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    Paging Thes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    ketan said:
     I've was never sure what the advantage/disadvantage was in terms of the quality of the recording  ??

I am guessing one advantage is : No-one can steal or butcher your Master tape because it doesn't exist.  Plus you don't get tape hiss.
    The disadvantage is that if you f*ck up performing the song, re-takes are very expensive.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    didn't they use to have direct-to-disc booths BITD? Like you could go and record your country song and have the record ready in a few minutes, and sometimes there were canned accompaniments that you could use in case it was just you trying to get your singing career to take off

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Pretty sure direct to disk isn't live recorded.
    I think it means that they skip the laquer or the stamper or something.
    I think there is a post on here that explains it, I think it turned out to sound worse than a good traditional pressing.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

I thought there was something along these lines that people used for music, but I maybe not.

I think the direct to disk thing is just a budget alternative to doing the full process for when you don't want to press a large quantity of records. I can't imagine people expect the quality to be the same as a traditional pressing.