The 21st Century's Greatest Films

2»

Comments

• ketan said:

Punch Drunk Love
    Totally.

and Blue/Warmest colour is just not that good.

• Anyone else think that American Sniper should be in the list?
    I would only watch that crap again if someone was holding me at gunpoint.

• Like, if there was a sniper aiming at a kid who would pull the trigger if you didn't watch American Sniper again, would you watch it?

As with any greatest films list, this selection is fucked up to the core. Obviously there are exceptions in the list that I agree with, but movies are too personal for this kind of thing. God, Mulholland Drive sucks so bad, to me. The only purpose in lists like this is for people in the future to look back at them and laugh at what idiots we were for venerating these and not (whatever's gonna stand the test of time, which is unpredictable). 

Well I guess the other purpose is to generate discussion and disagreement, which it's successfully doing...

I'd pull like 2 from every 10 on that list and add another 80 that didn't make it on mine.
    para11ax

• Like, if there was a sniper aiming at a kid who would pull the trigger if you didn't watch American Sniper again, would you watch it?

The sniper being said American and the child being an Iraqi hellbent on destroying democracy?
    I see what you did there.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    para11ax said:
    ppadilha said:
    Okem said:

I would've like to have seen a few more documentaries make this list

No Grizzly Man or other Herzog docs? Leviathan or Sweetgrass could be on there too, as well as SOME KIND OF MONSTER
    Leviathan is #47 on that list
    yeah, that's the Russian film of the same name. I was referring to the documentary by Lucien Castaing-Taylor about a fishing boat in New England:

This was on the tv last night. It was pretty intense, the sound track was very oppressive. Ad breaks kinda spoilt it though. Quite a surreal experience over all, like a bad trip Post Tenebras Lux.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I'm not trying to harp on the list here... more in the spirit of 'great movies of the 21st century', we watched Phoenix the other night.  Soo interesting... won't spoil it.

I've never seen anything by Christian Petzold before and apparently this is the 6th movie he's done with Nina Hoss (who's crazy good in this).  Anyone recommend any of the other things they've worked on?