questions

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
what are your current rr questions?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

who is "lover's choice" on this?  joy n pain is my shit.

https://www.discogs.com/Roc-C-Ox-Shit/release/583834

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Does anyone remember a record with a red label that was a boot of Notorious BIG- Hypnotized on one side and the other side has a mix with a bunch of cuts that have been sampled? I know I have it somewhere but I can't find it. That and PBW I Will Always Love HER  were my gateway records into digging a lot more.

Also I know that Ne-Yo Champagne Life 12" is hard to find. Does anyone know if it was ever on one of those DJ boot type records like "Top Secret", Wicked, or Strictly for the Whomevers? Or has anyone seen it on vinyl in any other form? It seems like a lot of those DJ edit type records went away around the time that song came out...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Are people really paying these prices for used books? A fantasic read, but come on...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0956189601/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I would say no, they're not. That is high end art book pricing.

jjfad027 said:
    Does anyone remember a record with a red label that was a boot of Notorious BIG- Hypnotized on one side and the other side has a mix with a bunch of cuts that have been sampled?
    I had a similar record, but no Hypnotized. White label bootleggy record of original sample sources from Biggie songs, 1st and 2nd album...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Here's that Lover's Choice track: 

I'd love to know who this is, and what else they've done.  
    Pickles

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Will CDs ever make a comeback?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Who really WAS the Japanee Manzel?
    We never found out.

RAJ said:

Will CDs ever make a comeback?

I think so. Laptops already don't have CD ports in them. When they become a super outmoded technology, GANGBUSTERS. All you have to do is wait 20 years on your CD raers.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    When did classical music get so terribly out of fashion? I'm about to list an huge amount of classical vinyl on discogs. It's depressing to say the least.. Most records listed have never been sold or go for pennies, if they sell at all. A good selling record in this genre is one, that has been sold once or twice in the last few years. It's definetly a buyer's market. But I'm not sure if there is a market at all. You almost have to pay money that people take it off your hands. But that shit must have been popular back in the day, otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge amount releases and records around. When exactly did it lose it's popularity?

Go to China, Korea or Taiwan, they love classical.
    My argument would be there's too much of the same songs. How many versions of Brahms or Dvorak's work does someone need?
    Unless you have Janos Starker or Heifetz, yes, they're not worth dough. Certain artists/groups/performances are big bucks though, it just sounds like you have none of them unfortunately. Classical dominates the upper ends of the popsike/cfrenzy range if you have the right things (4-5k records routinely).

The_Non said:
    Go to China, Korea or Taiwan, they love classical.
    My argument would be there's too much of the same songs. How many versions of Brahms or Dvorak's work does someone need?
    Unless you have Janos Starker or Heifetz, yes, they're not worth dough. Certain artists/groups/performances are big bucks though, it just sounds like you have none of them unfortunately. Classical dominates the upper ends of the popsike/cfrenzy range if you have the right things (4-5k records routinely).
    You're spot on with the notion of the abundance of the same songs. I haven't seen it this way.

There must be some big bucks items in this lot. It is statistically impropable that there isn't. I still have to find them, which is quite exhausting if you are no classical buff.
    This one seems to be worth quite a bit. I found it today. But I've checked out maybe 5% of the collection.

Since you're in Europe (correct?) there has to be some worthwhile European pressings of stuff in there, particularly box sets on smaller European labels. 

The_Non said:
    Since you're in Europe (correct?) there has to be some worthwhile European pressings of stuff in there, particularly box sets on smaller European labels. 
    Yes, I'm from Germany. Quite possibly there is. Which small labels should I look for? Any help is really appreciated.
    I just found this one:
    http://www.popsike.com/Bruch-Violin-Concerto-SCHNEIDERHAN-DGG-LPM-18036-TULIP-Alle-Rechte-Blue-Spine-NM/291008877154.html

but it's in less than stellar condition... Maybe vg+ at best. I guess it's worth next to nothing in this condition, right?

Nothing? No. Tricky? Yes. Classical buyers like their records very very clean. Playgrade beginning to end on a high quality tt and see what happens with the raer. If you hear any noise, try to sell it person to person at a show or something. If it plays perfect, say what you heard on a listing and hope for the best. Small labels was a misnomer, I should've said just stuff off the beaten path. Deutsche Grammaphon has a lotta good releases on it for instance.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I remember when various NYC Tower & HMV Records used to have extensive Classical sections. 
    Dudes who worked those sections were on some extra nerd "WTF are you doing up in this space" type dudes......harder than the Jazz section cats.

Good Times.

batmon said:
    Dudes who worked those sections were on some extra nerd "WTF are you doing up in this space" type dudes......harder than the Jazz section cats.
    Sam's in Hamilton had a major section IIRC.  Dude were old and grumpy, but I get it in retrospect.

Regardless of what you think of KRS himself, what do you think about what he said back in 2001 in 2016?  

http://www.avclub.com/article/krs-one-13710

O: How do you think the Internet and Napster will affect the way people use and listen to music?

KRS: Let me say, first and foremost, that you're talking to a biased person in that sense, because I'm all for Napster. I think that Napster is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Napster, to me, is liberation and freedom for artists. Yes, it directly goes against copyright laws. It is copyright infringement and it does, I think, dip into the sales of record companies. I think, in that sense, that it's a destructive force for corporate America. But, then again, that's what I stand for. Not to totally destroy corporate America, since I'm a product of it, but I think Napster puts capitalism in check, and that, to me, is a great service. If we're going to operate in a capitalist system, then let's uphold Napster, because that's the balance, where people can go and download albums or singles or whatever. To me, that's great. I think music should be free. I think all communication should be free. I think people should respect artists, and there should be a certain respect for artists who give their music away for free. If your music winds up on Napster and you approve of it, then the person downloading your music should at least go to your concert, should at least purchase your songs. Like, if they want a CD or cassette or the mastered copy of your album, they should go out and buy it, but you should not have to buy a song. You buy records, which present songs. But you shouldn't have to buy songs. Songs are things that you get around a campfire and listen to and enjoy. So, again, I think Napster is a step forward. I think it will affect music in this country, or the world, really, and force record companies to concentrate on their packaging more.

I bolded some of the things I thought were profound.  I'm not sure how Napster and the rest off the free music system have changed the world tbh. ??