jaco doc

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
anyone seen this yet?  looks rad.

what are your fav jaco joints?

Jimster

Comments

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Watched this a couple of days ago.... highly recommended. I didn't know a huge amount about Jaco previously. It's really well put together with lots of great footage.

The competitive relationship that Joe Zawinul and Jaco had was really interesting. Jaco's biographer basically blames Zawinul for triggering Jaco's final downward spiral.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    Is this the film Trujillo did?  Enjoyed it.  A lot of folls cheesed off that some interviews didn't make the cut but some great unseen footage.  Wayne Cochran ish looked bonkers.  Also real Jaco-headz say he was better before Weather Report.  I guess he had that 5-gigs-a-day stamina and no ego issues then.

Truly sad ending to his story, I only got into him when I read about his passing in my brother's guitar mag.  I took up the bass shortly after. 

Also can be found on t3h torrentz. 

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I am a big Jaco fan and thought it was well done albeit shallow.
    Props to Robert Trujiillo for giving back with some of that Metallica fortune.
    Overall it left me really sad  and asking why are all superheroes always fatally flawed?
    Too bad Zawinul was such a jealous prick and that murderous bastard that killed Jaco got out of jail in 4 months for "good behavior"
    I like the first weather report record a lot but Jaco is not on that one.
    The other one's are ok but not my cup of tea and obviously get lamer as the catalog "progresses"
    Also you can blame a lot of the rise of "smooth jazz" on Zawinul [and creed taylor]
    The best stuff Jaco did was outside of WR.
    As i've stated elsewhere his work on Metheny's debut bright size life is stellar as are his solo lp's.

kala said:
    I am a big Jaco fan and thought it was well done albeit shallow.
    Props to Robert Trujiillo for giving back with some of that Metallica fortune.
    Overall it left me really sad  and asking why are all superheroes always fatally flawed?
    Too bad Zawinul was such a jealous prick and that murderous bastard that killed Jaco got out of jail in 4 months for "good behavior"
    I like the first weather report record a lot but Jaco is not on that one.
    The other one's are ok but not my cup of tea and obviously get lamer as the catalog "progresses"
    Also you can blame a lot of the rise of "smooth jazz" on Zawinul [and creed taylor]
    The best stuff Jaco did was outside of WR.
    As i've stated elsewhere his work on Metheny's debut bright size life is stellar as are his solo lp's.
    I was surprised they never named Luc Havan (for it was he who beat Jaco into the coma in which he died) or really elaborated on the circumstances.  I guess it's not going to bring Jaco back - maybe they didn't want to give this scumbag any attention at all, but it galls me.  Trujillo also bought Jaco's bass which resurfaced years after being stolen when Jaco was sleeping rough.  He looks after it for Jaco's family.  I think Jaco's son Felix is playing this at the start of the movie.

As far as Zawinul, I never really got into his music.  I only really dug the WR stuff which Jaco wrote/co-wrote, or where Acuna and Badrena smashed it.  To a similar degree, Shorter.  I was expecting when he joined Miles I would dig it more but it's not got the energy of the "Four and More" stuff and meanders too much for me. 
    I am not a fan of Metheny's playing either so BSL doesn't have the impact it has for you.

I'd go for Jaco's eponymous debut, his "Word of Mouth" set and Joni's "Shadows and Light" / "Hejira" sets for maximum Jaco enjoyment.

kala

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'm trying to remember the podcast. But someone did one with Trujiillo and Flea a bit ago on this doc and it was pretty interesting.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'm trying to remember the podcast. But someone did one with Trujiillo and Flea a bit ago on this doc and it was pretty interesting.
    It was Marc Maron last fall, it's available on youtube.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This just hit Netflix and they did an AMAZING JOB!

First off... I was NEVER a Jaco fan.  I've always found his bass tone irritating and the way he played was too nasal and noodly.

This doc made me a fan and come to grips that he really is the most innovative and influential bass player of our time.

His decline was sad.  His death was even sadder considering the controversy of whether or not the bouncer (Luc Havan) who was trained in martial arts really just hit him once.  If you look online the the damage was quite extensive and dude walked away with a slap on the wrist.

The hard core fans will never be happy.

Havan is still beating folls, he was done recently for battery.

http://www.jailbase.com/en/arrested/fl-pbso/2014-03-28/luc-havan-201403280455595

"NO MORE MR.-NICE-GUY!"