SCANNING COVERS?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
whats the best way to scan covers. i have a scanner but it's pain in the ass to scan full covers. you have to scan 2 to three times to get it and paste it up. any scanners that you guys know about that can scan an entire 12x12 cover? or should i just head to kinko's and have them do it.carloswwww.thecraftbeats.com

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    whats the best way to scan covers. i have a scanner but it's pain in the ass to scan full covers. you have to scan 2 to three times to get it and paste it up. any scanners that you guys know about that can scan an entire 12x12 cover? or should i just head to kinko's and have them do it.

carlos

wwww.thecraftbeats.com

Just get a digital camera, take some shots with natural sunlight, and practice.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    whats the best way to scan covers. i have a scanner but it's pain in the ass to scan full covers. you have to scan 2 to three times to get it and paste it up. any scanners that you guys know about that can scan an entire 12x12 cover? or should i just head to kinko's and have them do it.

carlos

wwww.thecraftbeats.com

When I was working for a used record store a few years ago, I was given the task of finding a cheap, large scanner for our eBay sales. 99 percent of oversized scanners are in the 4-figure range, but I found one company, Mustek, that makes a scanner that is just about large enough for full LP covers (you lose a 1/2" on the scan), and is under $200. We bought it back in 1999 and they still use it today, it works great. You can check it out HERE

Hope this helps.

• darendaren 28 Posts
    If you have access to a college with computer facilities, those usually have nice, large scanners.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

carlos

wwww.thecraftbeats.com

Just get a digital camera, take some shots with natural sunlight, and practice.

The oversized scanners jump considerably in price, a digital camera is an inexpensive alternative.
    My suggestion is to setup a well lighted area (you may need to bounce or fill more light on the lp), turn your flash off (important) and keep your camera steady on a tripod or hard surface. Get as close as you can, zoom out and use the best resolution settings. Experiment and you will get a decent result. It may not be 'museum quality' but you can get the results you are looking for.

• if you can live with scanning a couple times, photostitch is a sweet piece of software for merging/pasting them without any work, slower than a camera or big ass scanner, but good results w/out investing in a new piece of hardware

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thanks to all i will look at all of the items to see what works best.

thanks,

carlos

www.thecraftbeats.com