Less Talked-about 90s releases

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
Randomly came across Frankie Cutlass "Politics and Bullshit".  Dope beats.  Nice cameos.  What are some of your favorite lesser-known, perhaps less-appreciated favorites from the 90s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXqeI5MWcI
cai

Comments

• leofromvermontleofromvermont Steve Halpern's glovebox 30 Posts
    I never hear anyone mention the poor righteous teachers and I love all four albums. 

Both Nine lives and cloud 9 by Nine. 

Mannish - audio sedative

deezlee

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Listened to this in the 90s...  Reggae with some rock and hip hop tendencies.

British version of Digable Planets

Moody, trippy suicide music.

I could list tons more.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    most people stay not knowing about the Scientifik album, in spite of the Traffic reish a while back

caiJunior

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ninja-Cuts-Funkjazztical-Tricknology/release/193575

I still love this comp of blazing towntempo. There is no other record that shaped my taste in music like this one. In 1995 when this was released I was 14 years old and listend to the tape recording of it constantly on repeat for several month. It was a door opener to everything I listen today. It is almost uncanny how relevant and contemporary the music on it still sounds today. I still can't wrap my head around it how those producers could achive such a high level of quality in production with the limited means they had availablel 20 years ago.

Jimster

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    if PRT counts, i gotta add that wise intelligence's solo more recent stuff is dope.  i got a cdr from him at a show.  i think the songs are on the timothy taylor album but maybe earlier versions.

da king and i

anyone in the bay remember "donut productions?"
    got a tape off a dude on the street.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

Galliano Feat. Omar - Golden Flower.

Palm Skin Productions - Like Brothers

Duderonomykicks79

Outside - "Minty"

I thought it was about the one LEIGH BOWERY (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Bowery) but I sat down with Matt Cooper over a kebab one time and he telt I it was about HIS FUCKING CAT.

Thanks to the ones DUDER/SKEL for the vinyl version.  Well worth the price of my liver.

Duderonomy

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ha, I'd totally forgotten about the existence of Galliano....

And plus 1 for the old Ninja Tune comps. I don't know if I could listen to them now but they were massively important to me at the time.

On a similar tip, when they weren't signalling the death of "Trip hop", Mo Way put out some interesting stuff like this Carl Craig 12" (always used to play +5)

And I always thought this compilation was slept on. It even had a Saafir track on it

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Tags-Of-The-Times-Version-20/release/5129454

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

I'll add on these two:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

innersource

the beat junkies remix is incredible - and it's not up on youtube.  if i come across it, i'll real headz it with the quickness.

cai

i was only into a few of the tommy boy 'black label' things, but this was nice

okay, i think a lot of late 90s hip hop was overlooked.  a lot of people soured when Puffy hit the streets.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ketan said:
    okay, i think a lot of late 90s hip hop was overlooked.  a lot of people soured when Puffy hit the streets.

Ill have to disagree.

Even w/ Puffy slicking up the game there were plenty bad backpack  and mediocre experimental shit overflooding an industry that was being dissected, cloned, and over-analyzed by "fans". Especially in the late 90's. 

batmon said:
    ketan said:

Ill have to disagree.

Even w/ Puffy slicking up the game there were plenty bad backpack  and mediocre experimental shit overflooding an industry that was being dissected, cloned, and over-analyzed by "fans". Especially in the late 90's. 
    Yeah, okay, the people who didn't sour really dug in and helped support that other lane. I think I just lived in a place where it was more the former than the latter.

I was pretty into Nobukazu Takemura earlier in the decade, but missed this at the end:

Heard it this year and love it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Homework were a pop\R&B group from Boston founded by Maurice Starr (who also founded New Kids on the Block and New Edition).

Homework opened up for New Kids on the Block and Perfect Gentlemen along with sharing the stage with other artists such as Expose, Technotronic, Gang Starr Posse, Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, The Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff, C&C Music Factory, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Dino, Cathy Dennis, the Osmond Boys, Brenda K. Starr, the Good Girls and the Cover Girls.

After Maurice Starr left Sony\Epic Records, the group went through record label and management changes which only left Melvin, Raphael, and Evan as the remaining members.

Despite attempts to boost their image and find new members, it eventually failed and by 1992, Homework was no more.

• Found this record recently and it still holds up:

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

I really like the second Funkdoobiest record, though I should say it's more for the crusty SP1200+S950 beats than the raps.

Duderonomy

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    cai said:

I really like the second Funkdoobiest record, though I should say it's more for the crusty SP1200+S950 beats than the raps.

Yet, I dig Son Doobie's flows too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak