h8ful 8

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
saw it in 70mm last night.  it's a pulp epic and i really liked it.  my wife, who is squeamish at blood, even enjoyed it. 

the score (by morricone) is sooo good - worth the price of admission alone.  

aside: i missed django (kids-r), but loved the one before it (basterds).  how does django rate in the pantheon?

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Def watch Django. FWIW, I thought it was just slightly better than Basterds.

Best to worst:

Pulp Fiction 
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill 2
    Django
    Inglorious Basterds
    Kill Bill 1
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof (terrible movie!)

I haven't seen H8 but def plan to.

• DP ain't terrible imo

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Kill Bills are one movie, no?

I rate Jackie Brown!  

Hard to rank his flicks, but i agree that DP is at the bottom.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Yeah, 70mm was great. Loved the overture at the beginning, the intermission, the filming in Ultra Panavision (Wish more films shot like this, but C'est la vie), the Morricone score was so good! The only thing I wished was this was at a better theater (Saw it at the varsity in Toronto). Somewhere like the Lightbox would have been a better experience IMO.

Hard to rate Tarantino films for me. I enjoy all of them for different reasons, except for Death Proof (Not a fan). One thing about Jackie Brown... When it first came out I wasn't that big on it. But over the past 10 years I've watched it 3-4 times and I've come to really appreciate it.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    The storyboard artist is a nice guy who lives near me. He says it's pretty good. I'll check it out soon.

• Man! I'm surprised by all the Death Proof hatt in this thraed!! Granted, as a stand-alone movie there is a lot that's missing, but you have to view it in the context of being a portion of "Grindhouse". Beyond that, the performances are top notch, the story is stripped down and to the point, and the main chase scene is top notch cinema!!!

Really looking forward to seeing Hateful 8. The man hasn't made a stinker yet.

b/w

Where's that big "surprise" the police force was supposed to throw?

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    ketan said:
    Kill Bills are one movie, no?

I rate Jackie Brown!  

Hard to rank his flicks, but i agree that DP is at the bottom.

I treat Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 as two separate movies, even though the original intent was for it to be one. They really feel like two different movies to me. 

Not to be contrarian with the dudes that like (love?) Death Proof, but I found the bar scenes too long, very forced, and just painful to watch.  

The chase scene was really, really good in Death Proof (one of the best I've seen).  But the ending of the movie was lame. That's my $0.02

I used to be a huge Tarantino fanboy, but these days I am far more eager to catch Coen Brothers films. 

Anyway, Happy New Year, Soulstrutteurs!

I'm off to get a liver workout. See you batches next year.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Going off the leaked DVD screener I saw, I have to say it's another disappointing Tarantino flick. At least an hour too long, and just as it finally kicked up a gear (approaching the two-hour mark!), he chose to cut to another flashback sequence, and all that dramatic tension dissipated. It's OK, but much as I've been pro-Tarantino in the past on here, the material just isn't substantial enough to sustain the movie's Epic Western pretensions. It takes a very long time to resolve itself in a very routine, "so what?" kind of way. For me, Jackie Brown remains his masterpiece. It can't be a coincidence that it's still his one and only adaptation.

The casting is as strong as ever, Kurt Russell and Walton Goggins in particular, and some of Robert Richardson's exteriors are breathtaking. Another +1 for the Morricone score too, which utilises several unused cues from his score for John Carpenter's The Thing, including during one scene that reminded me very much of...The Thing. That can't have been unintentional.

There are a couple of 70mm showings in Berlin at the end of the month, and I'm going to see if I can get tickets to one of them. Despite my misgivings, I'd still like to see if the 70mm format makes a difference to how it comes across a second time.

DocMcCoy said:
    At least an hour too long, and just as it finally kicked up a gear (approaching the two-hour mark!), he chose to cut to another flashback sequence, and all that dramatic tension dissipated.

IIRC, 2nd gear occurs just before the intermission, and then you come back and get the flashback.  So it didn't affect the flow at the screening.  But I could see how it might if it was a straight shot.

Did the screener have the Overture at the start?  If not, then you gotta go to the 70mm screening just to hear Morricone's work there.

ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    At least an hour too long, and just as it finally kicked up a gear (approaching the two-hour mark!), he chose to cut to another flashback sequence, and all that dramatic tension dissipated.

IIRC, 2nd gear occurs just before the intermission, and then you come back and get the flashback.  So it didn't affect the flow at the screening.  But I could see how it might if it was a straight shot.

Did the screener have the Overture at the start?  If not, then you gotta go to the 70mm screening just to hear Morricone's work there.

No, it didn't. I'm curious as to how much of the 20 minutes of additional footage is exteriors, though. When I watched it I kept thinking, "why'd he shoot it in 70mm when at least 75% of the action takes place on an enclosed set?"

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    No mention yet of "Dusk Til Dawn", which started out darkly good but ended up as tongue-in-cheek vampire shtick.  It's like a cut-and-shut of two completely different scripts.  Dregful.

But I will stand by his best work, which for me is "Pulp" and "Jackie Brown".  

Will cop the Hattful Acht, deffo.

Jimster said:
    No mention yet of "Dusk Til Dawn", which started out darkly good but ended up as tongue-in-cheek vampire shtick.  It's like a cut-and-shut of two completely different scripts.  Dregful.

But I will stand by his best work, which for me is "Pulp" and "Jackie Brown".  

Will cop the Hattful Acht, deffo.

I loved From Dusk Till Dawn precisely because it took that hard-left into exploito-vampire bloodbath territory without warning. Also, it's only a Tarantino film in the sense that True Romance or Natural Born Killers is - visually, it's very much a Robert Rodriguez movie.

I should emphasise that I don't think The Hateful Eight is a bad film. On paper, though, it ought to be amazing, but it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

IIRC, 2nd gear occurs just before the intermission, and then you come back and get the flashback.

Yeah, when it went to intermission everyone in the theater was so tense. It really worked in that sense. It was great hearing everyone talking about the first half... Something I kinda miss about a film having an intermission. Just getting a moment to process what you just saw and what you think of the film so far and what might come down the line.

I would really suggest if anyone can see the 70mm to give it a go. It's one of those flicks that should be seen in a theater.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Yeah I too saw the screener copy several weeks ago so I'm not exactly sure if that is the final edited copy in theaters? 

1) Those expecting Tarrantino action style like Kill Bill,Django,Pulp Fiction,Inglorious are going to be very disappointed. This movie is more slow paced with tons of dialog interrupted by just short bursts of violent action. More of a watered down Reservoir Dogs Western style.

2)Acting was great, SLJ was of course the star, Russell was really good too. 

3)Score-Morricone   nuff said....

4)Cinematography-great old school Panavision!

Based on the workprint/screener copy I watched  7/10   It was a bit long and tedious at times, but not half as overrated, long and boring as The Revenant!

• Anyone else thinks Res Dogs is numero uno?
    Prob not "his best", but my fave anyway.
    It's really the only QT movie where viewers aren't laughing at the violence.

BallzDeep said:
    Anyone else thinks Res Dogs is numero uno?

Yes, that and Jackie Brown are my two favs.

I might just round out my top three with Basterds.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Best to worst:

Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill 
    Pulp Fiction 
    Django Unchained
    Inglorious Bastards
    Jackie Brown

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Tarrantino was obviously heavily influenced by the whole Spaghetti Western genre ie: Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci etc. but he also has said many times in interviews that one of his fave late 60s flicks as a kid was Clint Eastwood & Richard Burton's alpine war thriller "Where Eagles Dare" which was shot in beautiful Panavision too by Brian Hutton. Love that movie!

batmon said:
    Best to worst:

Reservoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown

Why no lovv for JB?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's been so many QT lists in the wake of this new one and the big shocker to me is how consistently people rate KB2 higher than KB1. To me, the scenes between Uma and David Carradine in Mexico - and all the stuff with her daughter - was the corniest part of any one of his movies. The way he ended that movie, and then followed it up with Death Proof really made me think he fell off entirely, before redeeming himself with Basterds and now seems like he's just treading water with these relatively mixed overlong rewriting-of-history tales, where the content on rare moments of brilliance rises above the craft. His first three films are his best, the order doesn't matter much, and then?

• white_tea said:
    There's been so many QT lists in the wake of this new one and the big shocker to me is how consistently people rate KB2 higher than KB1. To me, the scenes between Uma and David Carradine in Mexico - and all the stuff with her daughter - was the corniest part of any one of his movies. The way he ended that movie, and then followed it up with Death Proof really made me think he fell off entirely, before redeeming himself with Basterds and now seems like he's just treading water with these relatively mixed overlong rewriting-of-history tales, where the content on rare moments of brilliance rises above the craft. His first three films are his best, the order doesn't matter much, and then?

I actually thought the ending to KB2 worked, but that's me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think I'm at the point where I may not actually bother watching it. I got mildly excited when I first heard about the concept but then when I found out it was 3 hours long and, from the trailers at least. seems to once again consist of lots of close ups of Samuel L Jackson spouting standard QT dialogue I lost all interest. 

Reservoir Dogs is still great, Pulp Fiction is absolutely brimming full of energy and enjoyment if you can separate the film from the imitators that followed.

After that, I enjoyed Jackie Brown but felt like it was trying a bit hard to be a grown up movie. Kill Bill 1 was a lot of fun at the time. Everything else ranges from bad or misjudged to absolutely appalling.

Senior said:
    I think I'm at the point where I may not actually bother watching it. I got mildly excited when I first heard about the concept but then when I found out it was 3 hours long and, from the trailers at least. seems to once again consist of lots of close ups of Samuel L Jackson spouting standard QT dialogue I lost all interest. 

Reservoir Dogs is still great, Pulp Fiction is absolutely brimming full of energy and enjoyment if you can separate the film from the imitators that followed.

After that, I enjoyed Jackie Brown but felt like it was trying a bit hard to be a grown up movie. Kill Bill 1 was a lot of fun at the time. Everything else ranges from bad or misjudged to absolutely appalling.

I think his scenes are great but it's the overall storyline that connects them that ruins a lot of his work for me.  See Dusk Til Dawn.  Although, there are always things to take away from these, because the cast, script and direction is always solid.

When he gets it right, the films are great.

Jimster said:
    Senior said:

I think his scenes are great but it's the overall storyline that connects them that ruins a lot of his work for me.  See Dusk Til Dawn.  Although, there are always things to take away from these, because the cast, script and direction is always solid.

When he gets it right, the films are great.

True. I think in part the problem lies with me as I am no longer able to separate the man from his films. Quite often I'll be watching something he wrote and start to hear the characters speaking in his nasal tone, a self satisfied smirk across his face. It may also be me whose tastes have changed but parts of Basterds and Django left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I've also found everything from Kill Bill 2 onwards to have suffered from really uneven pacing, they really drag on in places and feel unstructured and at times very sloppy (the whole last part of Kill Bill 2 springs to mind). Maybe this is an intentional harking to the b-movie style but I'm not a fan of big budget pastiches anyway - if you want to make a grindhouse movie then do it, don't make an expensive rehash; after all, most grindhouse films are actually pretty appalling when viewed at any normal critical angle.
    Basically, I think he would really benefit from having either stronger editors, producers or co-writers to help structure his "visions"  - something that has benefited a lot of talented film-makers.

On the plus side, yep, his casts are always exceptional though and props to him for bringing Russell back from the wilderness.

Senior said:

I've also found everything from Kill Bill 2 onwards to have suffered from really uneven pacing, they really drag on in places and feel unstructured and at times very sloppy (the whole last part of Kill Bill 2 springs to mind). Maybe this is an intentional harking to the b-movie style but I'm not a fan of big budget pastiches anyway - if you want to make a grindhouse movie then do it, don't make an expensive rehash; after all, most grindhouse films are actually pretty appalling when viewed at any normal critical angle.

I get what you're saying and agree with most of this, but I don't see what he does as "expensive rehash". I think he's good at making singular movies, and sometimes they're just not my bag.

ketan said:
    Senior said:

I get what you're saying and agree with most of this, but I don't see what he does as "expensive rehash". I think he's good at making singular movies, and sometimes they're just not my bag.
    Yeah, fair enough, expensive rehash is more a dig at the Grindhouse stuff in particular. I guess to me, Kill Bill 1 onwards, his films get caught in a mess of pastiche, tribute and parody that constantly pulls me out of actually buying into or caring about the characters on screen.