Latest mass shooting in America

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
At the time of writing the most recent one is in San Bernadino, and it appears the fuckwits attacked... a care centre.
Just last week some pro-life fuckwit chose to make his point by being pro-death.

Every country has fuckwits, but America seems to have more than it's fair share and the situation is made worse because in most other countries the fuckwits are prevented from walking into a shop, buying a gun, and then inflicting their fuckwittery on others with fatal results.

Who the fuck were these fuckwits? What possible motivation could they have for attacking a care home?

Oh... wait, wait I know.
Yeah, I'm one step ahead of the gun lobby. 
They're going to say it's a false flag attack organised by Obama in his continuing mission to destroy 'murcan freedom. Ok.

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Makes you wonder what the overall death toll has to be before the average American citizen, starts thinking about wether gun rights come at too high a cost.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'm betting one of them worked at the facility.

You gotta be a real low life to attack a facility for people with developmental disabilities.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Crazy. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, this shit happens in the US with alarming regularity. 

Curious to hear what unfolds and what the motive was (if there was one).

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Sad and RIP.  Hoping things get better for you all down there.

Cue Grumpy Obama.  Is anyone else interesting in addressing it down there?  I get the general importance of wedge issues and all, but it's becoming increasingly weird to me when a president can't move the ball on an issue, even if they really want to.  Can't he form some sort of bipartisan committee to craft a serious policy intervention to try out?

Even from a cynical perspective, wouldn't strong action on a Blue issue rally the base for the coming election?

(Is he in the NRAs pocket at all? I seriously don't know.)  

What say the Americans of SS?

• ketan said:
    Sad and RIP.  Hoping things get better for you all down there.

Cue Grumpy Obama.  Is anyone else interesting in addressing it down there?  I get the general importance of wedge issues and all, but it's becoming increasingly weird to me when a president can't move the ball on an issue, even if they really want to.  Can't he form some sort of bipartisan committee to craft a serious policy intervention to try out?

Even from a cynical perspective, wouldn't strong action on a Blue issue rally the base for the coming election?

(Is he in the NRAs pocket at all? I seriously don't know.)  

What say the Americans of SS?

Bipartisan committee?

You're not from the US, are you?

The Death Party controls both legislative houses and has no more interest in gun legislation than I have in Beach Boys reissues.

We could have 10 of these incidents a day and Republicans would just clamp their lips tighter on the NRA's balloon knot.

The Death Party controls both legislative houses and has no more interest in gun legislation than I have in Beach Boys reissues.

Come on, you saying you're not buying a deluxe remaster of Surf's Up with Disney Girls outtakes on it?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I work in Glendale and I still was getting an earful of chopper blades and sirens
    for two hours. Added to an already shitty, busy day. 

Guns: They exist, they're there (and
    there and there and there...) and I don't foresee any practical method of getting rid of them completely. Sad but true. And even then, the public has to contend with what's not available legally. I have no use for politics, though. Hope that those directly affected get beyond this eventually.

Sure there are probably no practical method of getting rid of them all completely.
    But there are ways of reducing the overall numbers of fire arms.
    Outlawing fully automatic and semi auto weapons here in Australia and then offering an amnesty and compensation for owners to hand in said weapons worked pretty well here.  

• ketan said:

Come on, you saying you're not buying a deluxe remaster of Surf's Up with Disney Girls outtakes on it?

If it's made of gold and costs a dollar I'll consider it.

• Electrode said:
    I work in Glendale and I still was getting an earful of chopper blades and sirens
    for two hours. Added to an already shitty, busy day. 

Guns: They exist, they're there (and
    there and there and there...) and I don't foresee any practical method of getting rid of them completely. Sad but true. And even then, the public has to contend with what's not available legally. I have no use for politics, though. Hope that those directly affected get beyond this eventually.
    kicks79 said:
    Sure there are probably no practical method of getting rid of them all completely.
    But there are ways of reducing the overall numbers of fire arms.
    Outlawing fully automatic and semi auto weapons here in Australia and then offering an amnesty and compensation for owners to hand in said weapons worked pretty well here.  

Of course it did.

Nothing can be done that would work immediately, which is what confounds the magical thinkers in this country who think Jeezass wants them for a sunbeam.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Bulletproof vests for Christmas this year.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Bulletproof vests for Christmas this year.
    or this:

• 355 mass shootings in 336 days (so far)

• ^^^ wow problem solved

The people who got murdered here were public health professionals, so this is (tragically) apt.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/12/02/3727406/doctors-gun-violence-research/

Physicians Demand End To 20-Year-Old Ban On Gun Violence Research

BY ALEX ZIELINSKI DEC 2, 2015 3:55PM

*snippet*

That’s why members of Congress joined physicians from across the country Wednesday morning to demand an end to the Dickey Amendment, a 20-year-old law banning any scientific research on gun violence.

“Gun violence is among the most difficult public health challenges we face as a country, but because of the deeply misguided ban on research, we know very little about it,” said Rep. David Price, vice chair to the House of Representatives’ Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. “Regardless of where we stand in the debate over gun violence, we should all be able to agree that this debate should be informed by objective data and robust scientific research.”

This ban, supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA), has effectively silenced researchers at both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) for conducting any comprehensive studies on what causes violence — and what can be done to prevent it — since 1996. As expected, it’s left public health experts and policymakers with little to lean on as they attempt to craft new legislation to help quell the fatal trend.

/*snippet*

• love to see americans take the defeatist "guns are a part of our life now, and i guess there's nothing we can do about it huh?" stance when mass shootings occur in their hometown, but will flick the killswitch on any violent event that takes place outside of their borders.

shame on you.

LaserWolfkicks79DOR

para11ax said:
    I am sayin'

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Get your guns now because Obama is going to take them away.

Trump 2016.
    kicks79

RAJ said:

Bush 2016
    My man just put a 18:1 wager on this at the bookies.  He's a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but he recognizes that and figures he'll make a G on it in case his paranoia pans out.
    Duderonomy

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    At the time of writing the most recent one is in San Bernadino, and it appears the fuckwits attacked... a care centre.
    Just last week some pro-life fuckwit chose to make his point by being pro-death.

Every country has fuckwits, but America seems to have more than it's fair share and the situation is made worse because in most other countries the fuckwits are prevented from walking into a shop, buying a gun, and then inflicting their fuckwittery on others with fatal results.

Who the fuck were these fuckwits? What possible motivation could they have for attacking a care home?

Oh... wait, wait I know.
    Yeah, I'm one step ahead of the gun lobby. 
    They're going to say it's a false flag attack organised by Obama in his continuing mission to destroy 'murcan freedom. Ok.

Actually the two worst mass shootings in the last 5 years have occurred in Europe. Apparently everyone has forgotten about the 77 people killed in Norway in 2011! Then of course the latest Paris massacre.
    I think it's very ignorant to say the US is just the "hotbed" of mass shootings without taking some important things into consideration. #1) There's roughly 318 million people in the US. I believe Germany has the largest population in Europe at 80.6 million and they've had the most in Europe since 2000. China would be second on the list, and there reporting of these type of incidents to the mass media is dubious at best. 

Taking away guns is not going to stop these shootings, because criminals and terrorists are going to get them anyway one way or the other. The fact is if some brave people had not fought back with "guns" then some of the mass shootings at schools etc here would have had even more innocent people killed. 
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people. 

[img]http://i.imgur.com/IG1Nwh5.png?1[/img]

Guns don't kill people blah blah blah ....
    Whats your point here. Yeah lots of people died, but more did in Europe so its okay ?
    You seriously think arming everyone makes people safer ? 
    How about that two year old that blew her mums head off in the supermarket ?
    Or that 11 year old girl at the firing range who accidentally shot her instructor and killed him. 
    Where they safer ?
    finelikewineson of bon vivant

• CrabbyCrabby Kanata 23 Posts
    djtopcat said:

Taking away guns is not going to stop these shootings, because criminals and terrorists are going to get them anyway one way or the other. The fact is if some brave people had not fought back with "guns" then some of the mass shootings at schools etc here would have had even more innocent people killed. 
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
     ....said the NRA every time this happens.

the idea that mass shootings are just fact of life is insane.  the concept that we should do nothing because certain people are determined and evil is perverse.
    kicks79

355 mass shootings this year alone.
    Yup Norway is totally worse with their one event four years ago.

http://https//www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/
    Jimster

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Tell that to the children who accidentally kill their siblings (or others, or themselves) every year in the US. And be sure to let their parents know, too.

kicks79

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    More guns make us safer. No.
    If only a good guy had a gun. No.
    Chad Littlefield and Chris Kyle were armed and trained to use their guns when they were killed.
    Colorado has one of the highest rates of gun ownership. Has not helped.
    In Oregon you are allowed to carry your weapon on college campuses and shopping malls. Hasn't stopped anyone.

And on and on.
    If owning guns made us safer, then we would be safer already.
    We are not.

kicks79

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    RAJ said:

Trump 2016.
    That's the thing; pushing gun legislation has just pushed gun sales higher and higher. It's a gun manufacturer's dream scenario in which the rhetoric of both sides is fueling sales. Well-meaning people on the left look increasingly powerless to do anything about it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Fuck. What a tragic situation.
    Rip it up and start again.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

The irony that I find in all the mass shootings discussions is the single-minded association of religious extremism with the Muslim faith.  Historically, nearly all societies in the world have at some point used religion as justification for performing heinous acts of violence.  Whether you talk about the colonization of Africa, Christian crusades, the Thirty Years War in England, the Almoravid crusades, the Panthay Rebellion, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,. Ku Klux Klan killings during Jim Crow, etc., they all used religion (to some extent, at least) as a justification.  So, the key theme as I see it is the need to address the psyche behind the use of religion to justify violent, extremist behavior.  Some of the remedy, of course, should involve enforcing stricter gun control to keep guns away those who pose dangers to the common good.  By and large, I think the major reduction in social discourse between people as a function of greater Internet usage could be a distal source of the issue.  It seems to be more difficult to empathize with others when there is a general reduction in social interaction and camaraderie between people.  The implication appears to be a lower sense of humanity that the anonymity of the Internet not only allows but perpetuates.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf