Radiooooo – Best musical website in a long while

Such a nice project. I have lost so much time playing around with this. Some great contributers on there (e.g.Victor Kiswell). Hope this keeps growing.

http://radiooooo.com/

Meital_Harel

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Can you give us the elevator pitch on what this is?  It's not readily apparent from the front page, and I'm a busy dude today!

• Looks interesting, though Im still not quite sure what it is even after playing with it for a few minutes.
    I clicked on 80's England and it played Soft Cell / Seedy Films which is a great track, I clicked on  70's England and it played Dire Straits, not so great.
    Meital_Harel

• Had a play around and its basicly a music streaming service where you choose Country/Decade and a random tune plays, its very slick and a bit of fun.

Noemi Ferst = hot stuff.

ketan

And so can anyone join and just start uploading songs of a particular place/time?

Is it concerned about copyright or is caution thrown into the wind?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Yes, anyone can join and start uploading (just signed up and gave it a first try). Seems like the submissions are checked by radioooos team first, which is a good thing IMO.

I clicked on 80's England and it played Soft Cell / Seedy Films which is a great track, I clicked on  70's England and it played Dire Straits, not so great.
    I didn't even try England or USA because asian, african and former USSR states seemed to be way more interesting. But wherever I clicked, it wasn't the dirt common, most obvious stuff coming up (although there's also Fleetwood Mac etc.) so I guess the team behind this website does an OK job.
    ketan said:
    Is it concerned about copyright or is caution thrown into the wind?
    I have no idea but am confident they've worked it out. At least there's a "Buy it - Button" that links all the available tracks to itunes.

• Was pretty cool to click on Zambia - 1970 and be treated to the Witch, Paul Ngozi, etc.

Nice, I took a closer look. Has potential, and I'm sure in the long run it'll be great.  I guess I worry about the Westernization of world music this way... if that makes sense.  Like, I clicked on China and the only song I could hear was some Chinese rhumba tune.  Witch and Paul Ngozi are cool and all, but I hope people get a more complete picture of what music is in those places in time.

Cool idea, though!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You can also click the Taxi button, then select destinations & time periods and it will just play through random tracks for you. Nice idea, but i find it hard to believe they've got clearance on all these tracks.. Here's a little interview with it's creaters https://amuse-i-d.vice.com/radiooooo-takes-you-on-a-musical-road-trip-around-the-world/ ;

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ketan said:
    ..I hope people get a more complete picture of what music is in those places in time.

Cool idea, though!
    I think your second thought is the level it's meant to taken at. It seems to have been created by a Parisian hipster dj couple who live and charmed life and want it to always have the cool soundtrack it deserves. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    First click on US was a Franki Vallie Song.

• Hi everyone! I'm currently working for www.radiooooo.com and I'm pleased that you started a topic about it. 

We are looking for music to fill in all countries/decades that are empty. 

@ketan 
     I completely understand your fear about the "western" vision of world music, it is why we are asking many diggers from all around the world to send us (or upload directly) songs they discover. 

• pinopino 18 Posts
    RAJ said:

noob alert but what is ehh with this? i mean if you meant "you're a song", which is great. or maybe you just meant a random frankie valli ehh, which i can understand

anyway ok website to spend some time with

• I can get behind this format of music discovery/listening choice about a million times more than any algorithm I've seen attempted. It's like it's designed for me personally, my (admittedly pretty shallow) interests in certain decades in certain countries' sounds, and the map format is perfect as well... I don't know how many people want to get hit with a random 40s song from the netherlands or something to make it a big big success, but it fits my way of checking out music on a whim perfectly. That said I wouldn't depend on it for England or USA (or whatever countries whose musical history you're pretty familiar with already).

Hopefully it's got legalities somewhat sorted as it expands.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    RAJ said:

For me in Canada.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    pino said:
    RAJ said:

noob alert but what is ehh with this? i mean if you meant "you're a song", which is great. or maybe you just meant a random frankie valli ehh, which i can understand

anyway ok website to spend some time with
    I thought radiooo was supposed to be interesting music you never heard before from all over the globe? No?

• pinopino 18 Posts
    Ok i misunderstood, explanation accepted. Now your problem seems to be that you just know too much more than our parisian hipster couple.

• I am continually surprised by the rate at which parisian hipsters with websites' tastes seem to coincide with my tastes. Paris DJs podcast, these fools, it feels like the beginning of a trend. But you can't trust them to not throw in something so cheesy as to remind you they're definitely not from the US. I don't remember what I got when I clicked the US Raj but it was better than Frankie Valli.

• disco_che said:
    Such a nice project. I have lost so much time playing around with this. Some great contributers on there (e.g.Victor Kiswell). Hope this keeps growing.

http://radiooooo.com/

Super cool!! Thanks for that!