MADRID

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
So...

I was just offered a job in Madrid. We're in the process of negotiating, seeing if it will work out careerwise.

I have never been to Madrid... Love Barcelona to DEF but never been to the home of El Prado.

So, Strut- what say you? Tell me all you know about Madrid. Neighborhoods, hot spots, fun, drawbacks, schools for the kiddos... I'm looking for any and all information.

Learn me some Espana- (Not Espanol- which I do speak, btw- not so much my wife, though).

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I only visited once for a few days and I stayed with a friend there. Don't remember specific neighborhoods or spots, but I had lots of great food for really cheap. The Prado and Reina Sofia are great (my friend has a PhD in art history, so she gave us a grand tour). The city is super nice and my impression overall is that madrileños are much more open compared to the catalans, so while Barcelona is a pretty place to visit I think Madrid would be better for actually living in. I cannot think of any drawbacks to being paid to go live there.

Just remember to pick Atletico over Real Madrid (unless you're a Yankees fan/are drawn the dark side of the force) and don't ever bring up Franco in conversation, that always makes for some awkward moments.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    my impression overall is that madrileños are much more open compared to the catalans, so while Barcelona is a pretty place to visit I think Madrid would be better for actually living in. I cannot think of any drawbacks to being paid to go live there.

Si. My friends who have lived in both cities echo this sentiment... and yet they settled in Barcelona. Maybe more work here? Not sure, but they said Madrid is a great place to live.