Steppers

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited June 2015 in Strut Central
Recommend me some good steppers tracks. Don't just put youtubes, tell stories and tell me why you like em bitches.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ronn Matlock - I can't forget about you, on the funky dirty side of the stepper spectrum

Nite Flyte - if you want it, the poppy fluffy stepper

Toulouse - what would my mama say
    Starpoint - you're my sunny day
    Both spaced out blissed up melodies, staples of my summer Sunday garden/wine interface bitd

Skool Boyz - this feeling must be real
    Purchased from a short-lived, long-loved backstreet shop called AfroAm run by the man Jass, Peckham Rye railway station, 50 bones got me this and an OG Ronald Mesquita which I later sold for 300.
    Happy times.

I stopped going to two-step events the night they played Piña Colada song and no-one laughed in derision.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    skel said:
    they played Piña Colada song and no-one laughed in derision.

^^ INTO YOGA.

• please to define the term "stepper"...like "the stepper" by soulful strings (a la dusty groove parlance) or is that too old fashioned? is this a modern thing?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    please to define the term "stepper"...like "the stepper" by soulful strings (a la dusty groove parlance) or is that too old fashioned? is this a modern thing?

Steppin' songs.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dustygroove.com = my "stepper" education

Yet even after all these years, the whole thing sounds amazing – one of those albums we'd never part with at all! Titles include the groovy "Slipped Away", the funky [strong]stepper[/strong] "Hungry For Your Love" – and loads of other great tunes that include "Love Fire", "Destiny", "She's A Lady", "I Don't Know", and "Give It Time".

titles include the wonderful jazz-tinged "Searching", a great midtempo [strong]stepper[/strong] that we really love; the funky break track "The Memory", a righteous number that feels like work from earlier records; the clubby classic "One Sweet Love to Remember";

Features the wonderful jazzy [strong]stepper[/strong] "It's A Pleasure", which has a compressed jazz funk groove, and bouncy vocals over the top. Other trakcs include "I Wanna Be By Your Side", "Happiness Flows", and "Everything You Do".

Titles include the classic mellow [strong]stepper[/strong] "Let Me Love You" – plus other great tracks "I Can't Help It", "Won't You Be Mine", "Whip It", "Goin Places", and "I'll Be Understanding". CD features bonus tracks – including "I Can't Help It (7" version)", "Let Me Love You (7" version)", and "Won't You Be Mine (7" version)".

Ah yes, Let Me Love You by Clausel.
    Slightly peppy to be talmbout 'mellow' but still.

Stepper best defined not by words but by listening.
    Four x four soul where one of the 4 beats had its cadence fucked up, in a good way, with some 'on the one' reggaefied lurch to the long end.
    Or some such.
    Rupert Holmes, batches.

All versions of Bourgie Bourgie and a lot of Chic is stepperful for me.

Oh yeah, Ronnie McNeir - Come Be With Me. It's a Renee & Angela tune IIRC, they had that vibe down pat but Ronnie has like a swing to his take. I was told that Ronnie tune was a big stepper tune before I knew what stepper tunes were. To me it was just modern, but not straying into synth boogie. I didn't make that distinction at the time.

It wasn't really a term I heard much up North but I've heard them and thing of that nature played in so-called "Stepper" sets. Like pr0n, hard to describe precisely but you know it when you see it. I always interpreted it as you danced to it with one basic move then another one thrown in, like a spin, around the change in the bar. Hence two steps. I mean, I'm always game for a spin/clap/pop combo, who here isn't?

I think the term is still applied to anything with a lurch or shuffled beat in around a bridge or change. There was a 2-step garage thing going on in Lun-Don Town IIRC but I never did go into that lane personally. I think it was just less hard, maybe they dropped one kick out of the 4 and threw in a cowbell.

J i m s t e r said:
    skel said:

^^ INTO YOGA.

^^^^
    WENT LOOKING FOR O'MALLEYS, ENDED UP IN A YATES' WINE LODGE

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's a Chicago thing, dammit.

skel said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    skel said:

^^ INTO YOGA.

^^^^
    WENT LOOKING FOR O'MALLEYS, ENDED UP IN A YATES' WINE LODGE

Why you gotta do me like that S*eve?