Classical Music Strut

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central
Hey guys I've been working on this page for a while
The Classicaliszt is finally ready for launch...an accesible blog about classical music using vinyl as a medium to bridge the gap between the connoiseurs and the younger generation.

Here are the articles so far http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/category/the-classicaliszt

You can follow us for pics articles and reviews and also our instagram http://instagram.com/theclassicaliszt for pictures of digs

if you guys are into classical vinyl i will post in this thread with my finds and other banter
hopefully likeminded peeps can lively the discussion or we can illuminate more
who here has a classical section and what do you like?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Cool.
    I never put any of my classical records on the turntable.
    I have a cd of Turandot with Pavarotti I listen to.
    I listen to Bernard Herman and other soundtracks that veer close.

Maybe you will inspire me to listen more.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    your erik satie article from a couple days ago was FIRE.

i love the new pivot towards an otherwise under-appreciated genre of vinyl appreesh.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

i love the new pivot towards an otherwise under-appreciated genre of vinyl appreesh.

satie article
    http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/erik-satie-genius-before-his-time

and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/classicaliszt

for real i had training in classical but i got into it to broaden my digging horizons
    when you get to a record store and everything is overpriced...classical is there
    you get to a garage sale too late..classical is there

always clean as fuck, cheap, and high quality
    its Worth to learn what you like and is very fun to collect

liner notes

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    pcmr said:
    vintageinfants said:

satie article
    http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/erik-satie-genius-before-his-time

and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/classicaliszt

for real i had training in classical but i got into it to broaden my digging horizons
    when you get to a record store and everything is overpriced...classical is there
    you get to a garage sale too late..classical is there

always clean as fuck, cheap, and high quality
    its Worth to learn what you like and is very fun to collect

liner notes

Hey Pcmr,

Yes, I too had a orchestra background from junior through high school. I played pretty much all percussion instruments (e.g., snare drum, bass drum, tympani, chimes, vibes, etc.). It definitely broadened my musical horizons and gave me an even deeper appreciation of composition and melody. I am a fan and I listen to works by composers such as Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Mozart.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Chopin changed my life and that isn't a joke. I heard a nocturne in the radio and then bought a "best of" cd. Next thing you know I became obsessed with classical music.

Then I discovered Rachmaninov second and third piano concerto and again I think it did something to me. It became the benchmark by which I judge music. The both of them are like the "fear of a black planet" of classical music, which is hard to explain except that to me they have the same effect.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ^^^ this was in the 90s when I was stationed in Korea.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    i grew up with classical (and jazz) music in the home and learning classical piano. and then played in my local youth orchestra until i was in my 20s. i played the... french horn (sigh). (i need to start playing classical music for my kids...)

i love beethoven and mozart's stuff (boring, i know) most of all because it's what i heard first in life. but my all-time fav piece is dvorak's new world symphony. he was czech but moved to the u.s. to soak in the late 1800s culture. he decided that modern national music of america needed to be evolved from traditional native american music (see esp the scherzo) and african american music (see esp the largo). every movement is awesome. worth seeing live or on a great loud system.

this is my parent's copy that i grew up with

alice coltrane once riffed on the largo. (so f*cking epic to me, sorry batmon.)

vintageinfants said:

i just looked at it and it's great! i play a satie comp regularly at my office to keep things in check (woo hah!). lots more to check out tho.

what i love about classical music is that artists come up with these really long and multidimensional pieces over careers that are often in the decades long. you don't see that in modern pop or even hip hop (and i mostly listen to the latter now). there's SO MANY SONGS that come out in hip hop by SO MANY RAPPERS each and every week. it was much harder to get published as a composer (then and now, i'm sure), so they were really expert musicians and writers, not just everyday people with some (greater or lesser) talent and a bandcamp. i don't know why i'm trying to compare classical to hiphop but the point is that classical music is always really special to me.

the newer stuff is also fantastic but i can't keep up. please share reccos.

disco classical is the absolute worst genre of music ever!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Johann Sebastian BACH in the motherfucking haus:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    It's good to see classical music being discussed by cool people and I really like the look of the site.
    Personally, I think you need to stress more the time period that each of the composers you're talking about come from. The broad stylistic flavours of each era (medieval, rennaisance, baroque, classical, romantic) are quite easy to recognise and once you've got a taste of new listeners can find more shit they like.
    I find no-one outside of academia knows anything at all about classical other than the few pieces they have enjoyed listening to, and everyone seems to have a completely diverse set of favourites, eg Debussy, this piece by Prokofiev, and Allegri's Miserere. If people were encouraged to learn just a little bit about the history of this music, or even just pay attention to the dates, they'd be able to find loads more music they would potentially love.
    Some romantic (1800's) era music is just to emotive to listen to without feeling drained. Some 20th century music is pretty demanding to follow as it's so spiky rhythmically and is harmonically dissonant. But the right piece at the right time can be very nourishing.
    Vinyl-wise over the last couple of years I've picked up a lot of Messaien solo piano pieces and chamber works by other early 20th-C composers like Durufle & Poulenc, nice artwork on the covers too. Chamber music and solo works are often nicer to listen to than full-orchestral works, which can just remind you of pompousity. Stuff with less vibrato is also more acceptable.
    Here's a nice mix by Lukid of piano music.
    http://blowinguptheworkshop.com/project/lukid

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Cool! Looking forward to checking out the site. Been listening strictly to classical (and opera - and Future's latest mixtapes) for past several months. I shop for vinyl as well as CD, and check out a lot of stuff from the library. Been listening to this one quite frequently after paying $1: http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Works-Solo-Piano-Franz/dp/B000009JA5/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1431973570&sr=1-1&keywords=badura-skoda+schubert+"works+for+solo+piano"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Also, yeah I am a total dilettante on classical, romantic, what have you. Have maybe 30 or so CDs and albums that I've really become familiar with enough to know what I like.

Came upon this a few weeks back, and the #swag of the conductor withstanding, this is pretty much my current music standard bearer, everything else being uncivilized in comparison:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Great feedback guys and yeah ketan (nice avatar btw) i will get into the eras and genres a bit more later on
    these posts were for a broader audience and i will fine tune my style and level of in-depth over the next weeks

i think we all start from basics of what we like..and grow our knowledge from there
    vinyl is the perfect format for that and with classical you can afford to take that risk
    looking forward to discussing the music and records side of things with the strut soon

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just wanted to share my greatest discovery in terms of artists with you
    Samson Francois waslike the miles davis of classical piano
    a troubled genius who had strong opinions and a very self absorbed lifestyle but so much distinctive emotion you could not help but be blown away by his talent

I found an incredible and rare record of his Debussy recital in my first warehouse dig and fell in love
    2 years later I went back to the same spot and found his nocturnes boxset which was now a grail to me
    more info and rec pics here
    http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/samson-francois-prelude-to-a-troubled-soul
    ...incredible artistic soul

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I usually find these attempts corny but I enjoyed this

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Death Metal Piano

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    +1 for Satie's Gymnopédies. For me, the definitve guide of how to place minimal notes and evoke maximum mood.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I too have an appreciation for the mellower, slightly melancholic, more minimal stuff; Satie, Chopin, Debussy, bits of Mendelssohn, Grieg, Hovhaness, Arvo Pärt etc. When it gets too hectic or pompous I can't deal, not for home listening anyway. I understand the appeal, when I was younger a friends Dad used to always BLAST classical music in the car. shit was intense. But it's just not for me.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    the blog looks great, looking forward to reading it! I have next to no musical training and know nothing about classical, other than the fact that the big, jaunty orchestral stuff is like big band jazz to me: I can enjoy seeing it live but odds are pretty slim that I'll ever put it on to listen to at home. There's lots of classical I enjoy, but if you tell me the name of any composer I couldn't tell you what their compositions are like. I've never known enough to be able to pick up a classical record and be able to tell if it's something I'll like or not, so this blog looks like what I needed to get more into this stuff.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    went back to the warehouse that started it all and it just keeps coming through

The Argerich sounds great and these are sealed (cool satie with fevrier and poulenc playing)

Some Philips Hifi

Living Stereo including a really cool promo text on the shostakovich

More finds

and the coup de grace