Ghetto House

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
Hey gang,

Are there any other ghetto house collectors on here?

While I feel that the demand is growing higher (via Discogs) I don't feel that there are a lot of people playing this shit.

Who's down with some seriously raunchy ghetto house from Dance Mania, Juke Trax etc?

Btw, here is a mix I did for my friends at Pluto, a local radio show in Iceland, with the most raunchy ghetto house I had at the time.

https://soundcloud.com/fmxtra/pluto-2014-12-20#t=1h14m48s

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I'm can get into the dirty ghetto tracks but don't have a ton of it filed away. Looking forward to hearing it all, and the rest of the posted mix before yours with the classic amen driven jungle tracks.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    It's a genre of music I know very little (nothing, really) about.

What are some of the key tracks to introduce a noob to?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

From Jack to Juke: 25 Years of Ghetto House

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    billbradley said:

This one recently got rejuvenated by its appearance in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I can't listen to audio ATM, but right away I have questions about what IS ghetto house. Is Ghetto Tech included (e.g., Assault, Godfather)? What about Baltimore Club ish (e.g., "You keep on fuckin around, I'm gon go get my guuuuuuun")? Seems like Ghetto House is a Chicago thing - is the newer Footwork era included?

I'm down with all that shit, tho. Just checkin. Looking forward to the mix!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    billbradley said:

This one recently got rejuvenated by its appearance in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

I actually know this track. I remember hearing it during my highschool years.

Thanks Bill!

ketan said:
    ISeems like Ghetto House is a Chicago thing - is the newer Footwork era included?

I believe the new Juke/Footwork stuff is based off the same sound but has a faster tempo.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ketan said:
    I can't listen to audio ATM, but right away I have questions about what IS ghetto house. Is Ghetto Tech included (e.g., Assault, Godfather)? What about Baltimore Club ish (e.g., "You keep on fuckin around, I'm gon go get my guuuuuuun")? Seems like Ghetto House is a Chicago thing - is the newer Footwork era included?

I'm down with all that shit, tho. Just checkin. Looking forward to the mix!

^^^ All separate microgenres that, of course, often are blended together.

Here's a link to one of my go-to tapes, DJ Funk's Ghetto Style from '96:

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Assault

Assault

This is one my fav Assault mixes

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Assault/mixpilation/

Apropos of everything right now

Apropos of everything all the time

Godfather THEN

Godfather NOW

DJ Godfather is killing it in the back of the store...see him tonight at Ryze

Posted by Play De Record on Saturday, 25 April 2015

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    The 90s Dance Mania stuff is where its at.
    DJ Deeon, DJ Funk, Paul Johnson, DJ Clent, DBG, Paris Mitchell, DJ Slugo, The Traxmen...

I've been collecting this stuff the last couple years and they are pretty hard to find in good condition. These records were all real ghetto not just in the lyrical sense but the actual pressings could be kinda poor, meaning the sound wasn't always great, record might be warped, label off center, although the later 90s releases seem to pressed with more care. There is also some great Chicago acid cuts on these records.

I play this stuff out frequently in 2015 and it still rocks the floor....

Paris Mitchell - Follow Me Ghetto

DJ Funk - Bitches

Paul Johnson - Feel My MF BASS

DJ Slugo - A Blunt

DJ Clent - 3rd Wurle (some early 140 juke stuff here)