De la Soul fans is this remix better than the original?

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
Ring Ring Ring was probably my least favorite De la single of all time. The CJ Mackintosh remix was super boring.
I think Rhythm Scholar did a great job on this one. If someone can get this to DLS I think they'd really dig it.
Give it a listen.

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Its fun and I would play it out, but the Whatnauts sample did it better.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    Ring Ring Ring was probably my least favorite De la single of all time.

I love the OG! Love how stripped down each of the parts is. The RS one feels a bit too house-y for my tastes. If you're name's not Fast Eddie, then I do not want to hear your hip house. (j/k)

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    If I remember right Fat Larry's Band actually sampled the Whatnauts for Act like ya know. It will be interesting to see what the new De la album will sound like.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    its ok, definitely not better (or even in the same ball park as the original), imo, De La Soul's production on the whole De La Soul Is Dead is some of my favorite production ever though so my opinion may be biased.
    I always liked this remix for playing out.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    the_dL said:
    its ok, definitely not better (or even in the same ball park as the original), imo, De La Soul's production on the whole De La Soul Is Dead is some of my favorite production ever though so my opinion may be biased.
    I always liked this remix for playing out.

Yeah I always played the sax mix instrumental. I just like that RS threw in some stuff like Curiosity Killed the Cat etc. Some people may not like that it's sped up though.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    djtopcat said:

Yeah I always played the sax mix instrumental. I just like that RS threw in some stuff like Curiosity Killed the Cat etc. Some people may not like that it's sped up though.

I just wish he had done a little more with it, its essentially the same track with a few edits and a stronger emphasis on the 4x4 drum. He could definitely taken the concept a lot further.