Freshman Year of College

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
Or first year away from your childhood home.

What year was it? What albums were you listening to?

For me, '89-'90:

Also should note that my next door neighbors (to the right) in my dorm would constantly be blasting this...

While my suitemates (to the left) in my dorm would constantly be blasting this...

Comments

• the goats - tricks of the shade
    tool - opiate
    pfunk - the double cd best of...
    james brown - some live joint i got on cd for cheap where james heralds the "princes of peace"
    nin- downward spiral

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    With respect to "new" music at the time...

Beatnuts - Stone Crazy
    Wu-Tang - Forever (such a Stan in '97 -- took me a few months to realize how crap that album was)
    Portishead - S/T
    Dj Shadow - Entroducing

I was a cargo-short wearing, coffeehouse drinking freshman for sure

Was also starting to get into more sample friendly soul music, and various "indie-rock" like Built to Spill, Sunny Day Real Estate, Modest Mouse and other sappy music that any cute girl told me to like.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Ahhh shit. Freshman year, for me, was 2000. I went to Clemson University because it was the best school I could get a full ride scholarship to.

Coming from the burbs of DC to a frat-dominated, voluntarily segregated town in the heart of the bible belt was a massive culture shock....but it was my new reality. Mushrooms, Asheville buds and camping helped with the adjustment.

The albums that I remember being a big deal on campus were Outkast's Stankonia and Radiohead's Kid A. I didn't really enjoy either of them at the time.

I personally was digging all things Native Tongue and Wu-Tang. I also recall being kind of addicted to B.B King's 'Live in Cook County Jail'.

One random memory that comes to mind was somehow getting an album by some dude named Joefinite the IS:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    harvey u old brah

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fall of '87

Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hardline According To....
    MJ- Bad
    Kool Moe Dee - How Ya Like Me Now
    Keith Sweat - Make It Last Forever
    Whitney - Whitney Houston
    Robert Cray - Strong Persuader

and still bumping Yo! Bum Rush The Show and the rest of the popular rap
    along w/ taping radio shows from local NY Hip Hop radio.

Next door dorm neighbor was rockin' Stryper.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Harvey,

During my freshman year of college (1987-88), I was listening to:

-"Sign of the Times"-Prince
    -"Criminal Minded"-Boogie Down Productions
    -"Believe Me, That's Bad"-Steady B
    -"Straight Out the Jungle"-The Jungle Brothers
    -"In Effect Mode"-Al B. Sure
    -"Music Madness"-Mantronix
    -"Long Live the Kane"-Big Daddy Kane
    -"Goin' Off"-Biz Markie
    -"Make it Last Forever"-Keith Sweat
    -"Zagora"-Loose Ends
    -"Danger Zone"-Tuff Crew
    -"Act a Fool"-King Tee
    -"Court's in Session"-Kaos

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Harvey,

During my freshman year of college (1987-88), I was listening to:

-"Sign of the Times"-Prince
    -"Criminal Minded"-Boogie Down Productions
    -"Believe Me, That's Bad"-Steady B
    -"Straight Out the Jungle"-The Jungle Brothers
    -"In Effect Mode"-Al B. Sure
    -"Music Madness"-Mantronix
    -"Long Live the Kane"-Big Daddy Kane
    -"Goin' Off"-Biz Markie
    -"Make it Last Forever"-Keith Sweat
    -"Zagora"-Loose Ends
    -"Danger Zone"-Tuff Crew
    -"Act a Fool"-King Tee
    -"Court's in Session"-Kaos

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That is an awesome list there, bud.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    1994:

batmon said:
    Fall of '87

Robert Cray - Strong Persuader

I was still in high school, but I loooooved that Still Hot Smoking Gun ish.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    It was 1996 and I had just moved from San Diego to Santa Cruz. Musically it was a move from punk to Bay Area themed hip hop. I was bright eyed and absorbing a new culture. The evolution of hand writing to newly developed handstyles is interesting.

1997-1998 saw a move into turntablism themed tapes and the more serious beginning of record collecting.

I was also getting into local Austin bands of the time, including...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    hit the road for Hollywood in '99

Midnite Vultures and Black on Both Sides got a lot of play and I was still very much into jungle/techno. I started go-go dancing at glam clubs and getting more into that type of stuff.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    1995-96, NYC

a lot of rap. Purple tape ruled everything around me. a lot of underground tapes from back home like Mystik Journeymen, Murs, Hobo Junction, etc (nobody in NYC knew these and either loved them or really, really hated them). Project Blowed, Volume 10... Alkoholiks 2nd record.... Pharcyde Labcabincalifornia... Company Flow... uh, Organized Konfusion, Beatnuts, J-Live, Fugees "The Score" was pretty big. Liquid Swords. various one-off fat beats 12"s... Tunnel Bangers/guilty pleasures like Tracy Lee "The Theme" lol. Was getting into a lot of genesis shit like Fearless Four, Crash Crew, Younger Generation, Mike & Dave etc. Got turned onto Hector Lavoe and Willie Colon around this time. Ruben Blades, Eddie Palmieri. I was getting real into Stevie Wonder at the time too, but older music was still just "beats" for the most part. I didn't know shit about records

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

these were all in pretty heavy rotation my freshman year

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    oh shit, Portishead "Dummy". And, uh... PRT "New World Order"

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Freshmen year, driving around in a 1980 dodge colt that I'd just souped up with... a tape deck, delivering Chinese food to pay for school (not to mention records and blank cassettes!). Community college beats (wall of records alert!):

...which opened the door to:

All in the span of a year! :face_melt: The thing is that the last year of high school and on into college is when I really started digging back into time with music. Routinely having my mind blown by exposure to all of these amazing records in such a short span of time is a big part of what made that era so special for me (and pretty much set me on the path as a full-on record junkie).

• 93-94
    Georgia Southern University
    Common Sense- Can I borrow a dollar
    Diamond D - Stunt Blunts
    Some random 2nd generation Stretch & Bobbito tapes.
    The Alkaholiks-21 and over
    During the fall, while I was there (1993)these albums dropped
    Black Moon
    ATCQ
    Souls of Mischief
    I had a 5 cassette changer too!!!
    Had my dorm on lock!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I remember this was played(out) at every house party that year after it came out.

I remember being stoned and lost, wandering around a new city with this in my the headphones.

I don't have many specific memories of LPs of the time. I think I've always been more into mixtapes and mixes, shit friends or I'd made, radio recordings or some free party dj tapes.

Some stuff that came out around that time that definitely spent time on the communal record player.

There were a bunch of blazing down tempo and UK hip hop lps/tapes in the mix as well but I cant remember them.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    One thing I'll never understand though is US dorm rooms and how you have to share a room with another dude. WTF is up with that? You live in a country with all the money and space you could possibly need, you spend a small fortune on your education, just to spend a year listening to another guy jack off. fucking wierd.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    That would've been 1994 for me. I distinctly recall these getting plenty of burn in my freshman dorm room:

Outkast--Southerplayalistic
    De La Soul--Buhloone Mindstate
    Del--No Need for Alarm
    Casual--Fear Itself
    Souls of Mischief--'93 Til Infinity
    KRS-One--Return of the Boom-Bap
    Jeru the Damaja--The Sun Rises in the East
    Gang Starr--Daily Operation
    Alkaholiks--21 and Over
    Cypress Hill--Cypress Hill
    Beatnuts--Street Level

I also had a shitload of Red Alert radio shows on tape that I played pretty constantly.

On the non-rap side, my go-to was Liz Phair--Exile in Guyville, but I mostly left the rock selections to my friends.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Okem said:

Yes! That one was :raw: Played it over and over.

That K&D and Mezzanine were like foundational material for me, in my DNA ("Keep On Believing" had me open back in the day). Based on those picks, I would guess you maybe came up just one or two years ahead of me.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Okem said:
    One thing I'll never understand though is US dorm rooms and how you have to share a room with another dude. WTF is up with that? You live in a country with all the money and space you could possibly need, you spend a small fortune on your education, just to spend a year listening to another guy jack off. fucking wierd.

aside from the obvious cost advantages of cramming as many kids as possible in small rooms, universities will imply that the goal is to attempt/force a freshman to build a new relationship.

my freshman roommate i think listened to Disney songs (no joke) -- I know he wracked up at least a $1,000 charge on his new credit card for long distance phone calls to a "girlfriend in Canada" -- and the dude could sleep for ever, on some go to bed at 1am, sleep to 3pm schitt that would drive me crazy.

also -- i saw some of the foulest schitt (literally) in the dorms at the University of Texas. Like make you lose faith in humanity type foul.

many things i miss about my college days -- dorm life not one of them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    jlee said:
    Okem said:

aside from the obvious cost advantages of cramming as many kids as possible in small rooms, universities will imply that the goal is to attempt/force a freshman to build a new relationship.

my freshman roommate i think listened to Disney songs (no joke) -- I know he wracked up at least a $1,000 charge on his new credit card for long distance phone calls to a "girlfriend in Canada" -- and the dude could sleep for ever, on some go to bed at 1am, sleep to 3pm schitt that would drive me crazy.

also -- i saw some of the foulest schitt (literally) in the dorms at the University of Texas. Like make you lose faith in humanity type foul.

I didn't have a bad dorm experience. In fact, I met most of my friends in the freshman dorm. I do think it teaches you how to deal with other people and live in shared space with them (namely, to shut the fuck up and not be a pain in the ass because we all have to live here and nobody wants to put up with your shit), which is a good thing.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    1995 Arizona
    Island anthology of Black Uhuru
    pharcyde bizzare ride II
    Atcq midnight marauders
    de la 3 ft high and rising
    A shit load of dead and phish tapes
    "classic rock"
    buncha shit I don't remember

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    jlee said:
    Okem said:

I didn't have a bad dorm experience. In fact, I met most of my friends in the freshman dorm. I do think it teaches you how to deal with other people and live in shared space with them (namely, to shut the fuck up and not be a pain in the ass because we all have to live here and nobody wants to put up with your shit), which is a good thing.
    Surely you can do this without having to be sleeping in the same room. That shit just seems like some weird puritanical hangup from the past that has become 'tradition' and therefore somehow sacrosanct. I loved the guys I lived with at University but the idea of having to share room with any of them just seems foul and backward. Sharing a bathroom with them was bad enough at times.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I still was listening to a lot of hip hop from well before my time boom bap and 80s stuff mainly.

Also I was starting to get into jazz, funk and disco through compilations and greatest hits CDs.

But in terms of contemporary music it was:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My freshman year was 1987-88, same as Stacks and Batmon. However I was at art school so I was getting exposed to a slightly different playlist, I brought all of the current NY hip-hop and NYHC with me but this is more what was playing in the dorm.

The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
    Echo & The Bunnymen - ST
    The Cult - Electric
    Sinead O’Connor - The Lion and the Cobra
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
    fIREHOSE - If’n
    The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
    Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands
    Sonic Youth - Sister

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    2004, Providence
    i remember that year of being more about exploring farther back, especially into jazz & funk, than about new releases...
    a lot of Herbie, especially Thrust & Man-Child
    a lot of Lee Morgan
    a lot of Grant Green
    a lot of Fela
    a lot of James Brown
    a lot of Meters
    the classic Parliament/Funkadelic albums
    more contemporary stuff was jam-jazz-funk: Medeski Martin & Wood, Soulive, that kinda stuff

also some Supertramp :/

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I also distinctly remember first getting into Brazilian music in my freshman dorm, I think through the Brazilian Beats series? I remember freaking out over Trio Mocoto & Banda Black Rio and wishing I could share it with my super lame roommate

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    '03 at Valley Community College, which was walking distance from my childhood pad. I slugged along here and there enough to get my Associates in general ed. A couple of backpack rappers introduced me to stuff like Mix Master Mike and PUTS in the square/weed spot on campus. That's where I also unknowingly smoked wet for my first and hopefully last time.