Multi-Room Wireless Sounds

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
Searched "Sonos" in the forums and didn't see much; figured that was the operative search term. Feel free to shame me if there's a recent thread on this topic; I've been away.

Possibly moving soon to a spot with high ceilings.

Interface/system: DLNA, Bluetooth, AirPlay...?

Speakers/hardware: Korus, Sonos, Phorus, Wren...?

I am an Android/PC user.

Acoustics are important, but let's face it we're not dealing with a lossless format to begin with, so don't need a $1M setup.

Please to knowledge me and/or share your current multi-room wireless setup?

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I have 3 airport expresses hooked up to older hi-fi stereos in my living room, record room, and lounge/kitchen. and have been relatively happy. My main receiver runs two rooms, so I can run 4 rooms at one time. The interface is very handy running everything from laptop or phone. Volumes are adjustable for each room separately, or the master volume turns them all up and down together. I am limited to MP3 for whole house sound though. The controls get a little glitchy if I'm outside.

Records are only one room at a time. I haven't figured that one out yet aside from running more wires through lathe and plaster walls which is far from my favorite thing to do.

I like this setup because my stereos are always changing and I can hook up the airport expresses to whatever is current. I can easily upgrade or downgrade the stereos without a major financial investment.

I have no experience with sonos or the others. I have heard the little wireless Bose units and was impressed in a small room. You have to consider the air space if you will have tall ceilings. You might need some power behind the speakers.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm using Gramofon. Really like it and it's just about to get a very handy update.