What's the Latest With You?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
Heavy nostalgia vibes in these archived threads. I made a bunch of friends through this site. Life kind of took over and I lost touch. Let's rekindle these emotions.

What are all of you guys up to these days professionally / personally?

How's life in general? Are you happy?

Are you still collecting. If so what?

What are your current hobbies?

Is vinyl back?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Heavy nostalgia vibes in these archived threads. I made a bunch of friends through this site. Life kind of took over and I lost touch. Let's rekindle these emotions.

Is vinyl back?

Mr. Bizzo. Nice to see you here (though I see you shredding it on Instagram quit a bit). I'm stuck reading the 2005 threads right now and it's bring me back too!

I'm still obviously working for exida, a global engineering firm my father-in-law started in 2000. I'm head of marketing here so I spend a lot of time on social media, graphic and web design, and keep folls in check.

Life is great, though it has it's ups and downs. My wife and I built a house on a lake a couple of years a go and it was the most emotionally taxing thing I have ever done. We bought an old barn, had it taken down, and re-raised on an 8 acre property. The builder ended up having some questionable business ethics and ended up disappearing only to re-appear on with his own TV show.

My kids are now 10 and 8 and I am finally able to start having "me" time again.

I just got back into buying records seriously again after about 5 years. Shit has changed so much.... less dollar bin miracles.... more competition... and a lot of familiar faces still doin' it. But yeah... my goal is to start archiving stuff so my kids have an idea of my listening habit when I go. Raer and classics.... I like buying classics now in shrink with the price tag on it. No genre is safe.

Other than this site and digging, I like to bike and buy antiques. yes, I have turned into one of those antique dudes too.

Is vinyl back?

Sadly yes... but those people are not here. Was it back when this place was off the charts? Describe back.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Nate Bizziness,

It's great to see your face back in the place. Here are my answers to your questions.

-I am a Full Professor now, so I'm sort of an 'old head' in the department. I finished a 3-year term as department chair back in June 2014, and now I'm on sabbatical grinding even harder on my research. I will be the PhD program director in the Fall, and I am advising several doctoral students on their research. My dean is pushing me toward seeking promotion to Distinguished Professor. I have to decide whether or not I'm going to make RU my permanent academic home. Distinguished Professor jobs are not plentiful in the larger job market, so getting promoted will likely curtail my job mobility. Finally, I am editor at a (research) journal and on the editorial boards of 5 others (so time is tough now). Also, I am serving in an administrative position in the Academy of Management, which is also time consuming. Yet, I'm loving every minute of work and it's all gravy!!!

-Life is fantastic!!! I have lost over 60 pounds, with the missus and I hitting the gym 5 days a week. I'm healthier than I've been in over a decade. I have gotten comfortable with middle age life as I have clearly delineated my priorities in life. Because of this, I have struck a better work-life balance where I can get stuff done professionally, yet not ignore my family/social life. A little over a decade ago, life was far more work-oriented to the relative neglect of rest-and-relaxation. As an example, I now get a therapeutic massage every two weeks to reduce stress and tension.

-Yes, I'm still collected, but not as much as I used to. I have a grip of records, so now my collecting is about finding novel recordings I do not have, or replacing others with either better copies or those that my brother had (of mine) but sold. I collected across a bunch of genres including various forms of jazz, rock, also soul, funk, dance music, soundtracks, latin, reggae, electronica, hip-hop, pop, etc., etc.

-I make beats, mix, play basketball, read, perform fitness training, watch sports, and patronize various forms of arts (concerts, exhibits, plays, etc.).

Is vinyl back?

-Yep, it seems that vinyl is more popular than ever. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of stores are moving toward overpriced reissues of dollar-bin fodder.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dear Mr Bizzo,
    Please forgive me gatecrahing the nostalgia fest; I'm a relative newbie from 07 or some such....

Professionally, head of operations at an investment bank; rewarding financially, love going in every day, and for the first time in a 30+year career, I love every single goddamn person in my team. Love them bastards, each and every one.
    Personally having a ball, being mature enough to understand exactly what I want from life, which is to live in the now, and remain energetic enough to go grab it.

Oh man. I have more than I thought I could ever have in 1977; less than I thought I'd ever have in 1994; much less than I did have in 2004; and more than I thought possible in 2011. More content than I've EVER been now in 2015. No relationship, 5 brilliant kids, do whatever the fuck with whoever the fuck whenever the fuck I want to. It's bliss.

No. Got rid of all rekkids. Recognised they were anchors that tied me down. Led to a lifetime cocooned in a routine of thumbing spines and lethargy.
    I confess to collecting connections on LinkedIn though. Yes. A guilty pleasure.

Playing guitar, drinking beer or coffee, watching the sunset over Greenwich while casting orange glow over skyscrapers.

Is vinyl back?
    It never went away, and you know that.

• Married with 5 month old beautiful baby girl. It's awesome and scary for me.

Going on tour with ugly duckling next month for 5 weeks in Europe.

Still love music/records.

Celebrating life!

Peace, stein...