northern soul "the film"

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
having not been there and a generation or 2 short of the time frame what do I know?
but I thought it was a decent film as far as trying to capture the nuances of a music scene which so easily can veer into velveeta territory
what do you think?

http://www.putlocker.sh/watch-northern-soul-online-free-putlocker-2014.html

Comments

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I did use to go to the Northern Soul all Dayer/Nighters as a 16 year old back in 1977 (started in school at 13 getting into the music).
    The film was pretty much accurate, though the storyline dwelt too much on the drugs aspect. Maybe because I was 16 and just starting out in club land that I didn't notice the taking of drugs so much in the beginning, though after around six months of going I became a lot more aware they were available if wanted (certainly never knew, or saw anybody on the hard smack back then though, only pills and speed).

Great times travelling around the North of England to various venues, but after a while I moved on over to the Disco/Jazz-Funk club scene and never looked back... )
    I actually enjoyed the movie 'Soulboy' slightly more from a few years before.
    Similar storyline, but a bit more humour and light hearted than the 'Northern Soul'movie. I'm probably in the minority though, certainly among present day Northern Soul followers!!!
    They gave better feedback to 'Northern Soul' the movie than the 'Soulboy' one . I think it had something to do with the dancing scenes, they were not very good!