Integrated Amp.

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I am looking to pick up a new amp. Currently, I have an old Bogen tuner/integrated amp (if they even had such a term) circa about 1965. It is absolutely beautiful with about 17 tubes, most of which I have replaced with new Philips tubes or other high-end alternates, but I'm still getting a little buzz out of it. Its fine for listening to records because you don't even hear the buzz except between songs and the bass and the richness of the sound, once it gets warmed up, more then makes up for it. But when I'm converting the lps to digital format for my website I have to bypass it and unplug everything so I can go direct from the turntable to the pc to avoid the buzz. I want to get a new integrated amp that I can use for everyday as well as converting to digital and maybe even plug the tv into and stuff. I wanted to spend around $1000 and I don't need a tuner. I was looking at Creek Audio but have very limited experience with electronics.Im a record collector not an electrical engineer.any suggestions?

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    even cheaper 70's stuff is fine. all my life ive been using random solid state 70's technics, pioneer, sansui, whatever amps and theyve all been great (for analog-to-digital transfer, anyway).

your amp sounds...well seems amazing though. is your turntable grounded? is your outlet grounded? have you tried taking it to a technician to see if he can help? are you running it through a preamp? do you have a flourescent light plugged in nearby? are your RCA cables in good shape? does the ground screw on your stereo need adjusting? a lot of factors could be causing the buzz...but youve probably checked for anything like that.

my dad has two sets of 50s/60s tube mono amps, great stuff. has one pair of altec lansings that he took to a local vintage audio store, the technician checked them out and said they needed no work, also that they were "the cleanest amps [he'd]ever heard", he also has a pair of david bogen amps from the 50s that were kits he got from his uncle-in-law...they have a problem similar to yours it seems, maybe something just goes bad? maybe some component inside needs to be replaced.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    even cheaper 70's stuff is fine. all my life ive been using random solid state 70's technics, pioneer, sansui, whatever amps and theyve all been great.

I think vintage is the way to go. This is my "new" baby:

Pioneer SX780 Receiver