Kon Re-edit appreciation

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
Since I've been running a venue in Sydney that is really hot on disco tip, I've been buying a lot of this kinda stuff and have branched out into the re-edit territory far more than I have previously - I used to be on some 'the original is always better' kinda deal, but that's just not always the case. So... I really haven't found any edits that even come close to the brilliance and production values of Kon's recent output. The recent [strong]Star Time[/strong] edits have all absolutely fucking killed it. Some of these and other relatively recent releases are creeping up in price on Discogs as they continue to go out of print. The BGs edits and the Pleasure 12 are also both amazing. So yeah... keep up the good work from someone who still only plays vinyl when they DJ.

PS: Remember when these types of posts were common on SS?

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Which venue are you running M#$% would love to come and check it out.

Also was a big fan of the OnTrack Edits Kon and Amir put out.

http://www.discogs.com/label/45573-On-Track

The Edition edit series is great as well.

http://www.discogs.com/label/53127-Editions-Disco

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    When Kon came to play in Melbourne the year before last, those of us who stayed late were treated to about an hour and a half of his edits (released and unreleased) back to back.

In time my memory has faded and I can't remember the many highlights, but I seem to recall his re-edit of "Nights over Egypt" by the Jones Girls being amazing!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yo KICKS79 - PM sent

Phatman... that woulda been fresh. I'm definitely keen to hear him play when he's in Sydney next.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I first heard his edits on here, and even though I still havent really embraced serato (mainly because I'm too lazy to digitize my collection) I find myself playing his edits when ever I get a chance either by CD or USB CDJ's. I was lucky enough to play before him when he came out a few years back, his set was a amazing and the edits were definitely a highlight, the only person I know that can really touch him in terms of output and quality is LNTG.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my friend who does the excellent voyage funktastique show will be teaming up with ohmega to do a disco edit label that will put out 45s every month or so..ill keep you poisted in this thread

love my kon cerrone edit..it sold out in less than 24h..the disco vinyl dj market is still strong

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Does anyone know what the specific legal agreements are when you remix these multitracks?
    Do the artists/label take a cut of any vinyl sales etc? Is there a contract?
    I'm curious because I own some pretty rare multitrack sessions that I've been sitting on for years that frankly I'm afraid to mess around with due to legal hassles. I've taken things like the acapella and drums, but never stripped down and totally rebuilt a track from scratch and put it out for the public.
    Just curious. thx

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    pcmr said:
    my friend who does the excellent voyage funktastique show will be teaming up with ohmega to do a disco edit label that will put out 45s every month or so..ill keep you poisted in this thread

love my kon cerrone edit..it sold out in less than 24h..the disco vinyl dj market is still strong

Please do!

And DL, who/what is LNTG?

• djtopcat said:
    Does anyone know what the specific legal agreements are when you remix these multitracks?
    I'm curious because I own some pretty rare multitrack sessions that I've been sitting on for years that frankly I'm afraid to mess around with due to legal hassles. I've taken things like the acapella and drums, but never stripped down and totally rebuilt a track from scratch and put it out for the public.
    Just curious. thx

these are very limited run, vinyl only releases and are often released under an alias...it's all under the radar.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Kinetic said:

And DL, who/what is LNTG?

Maybe its just an Adelaide thing, but I thought everyone was up on him
    https://soundcloud.com/late-nite-tuff-guy

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    kicks79 said:

big fan of kon over here, though i have to say that the sound quality of the on track series is really, really bad, at least on the skip jackson, firebolts and one more i have. Its a shame as those are all killer tracks, but like this virtually unplayable. something must have gone wrong while mastering i guess. Dont want to take anything away from the work, its just a fair warning ;)

oh, and yes i have originals to compare to.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Oh shit LNTG is DJ HMC !
    Great to see the techno king still doing stuff.

And yes to the bad sound quality on some on the On Track pressings.
    Bad mastering perhaps ?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i love the firebolts edit

is it unplayable on a big system..like clear the dancefloor unplayable distorted
    or just weak pressing

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Seems risky, I guess the chances of the copyright owners actually suing over them is small, but believe me it's still no fun to get direct letters from lawyers threatening huge amounts of money.

meistromoco said:
    djtopcat said:
    Just curious. thx

these are very limited run, vinyl only releases and are often released under an alias...it's all under the radar.

Kon related:

This mix is excellent!

But I am having trouble tracking down the opening song "Schmoove - The world is my playground".

Has this even been released and who is Schmoove?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    inVrs said:
    kicks79 said:

big fan of kon over here, though i have to say that the sound quality of the on track series is really, really bad, at least on the skip jackson, firebolts and one more i have. Its a shame as those are all killer tracks, but like this virtually unplayable. something must have gone wrong while mastering i guess. Dont want to take anything away from the work, its just a fair warning ;)

oh, and yes i have originals to compare to.

+1

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:
    Kon related:

This mix is excellent!

But I am having trouble tracking down the opening song "Schmoove - The world is my playground".

Schmoov has been around for at least 15 years (longer, maybe?) and does house--some good, some not so good. Generally unremarkable stuff, imo.

Is this the track you were after?

http://www.discogs.com/Schmoov-Playground/master/232466

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i love the firebolts edit

is it unplayable on a big system..like clear the dancefloor unplayable distorted
    or just weak pressing

honestly, i wouldnt play those out. And its not just one.. all the ones i have sound weird. I have the firebolts 7" and its night and day difference. made my own edit of it to play out then.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    inVrs said:
    made my own edit of it to play out then.

:bizzo:

parallax said:
    phatmoneysack said:
    Kon related:

This mix is excellent!

Schmoov has been around for at least 15 years (longer, maybe?) and does house--some good, some not so good. Generally unremarkable stuff, imo.

Is this the track you were after?

http://www.discogs.com/Schmoov-Playground/master/232466

yes! Thanks!

Its was the extra "e" on the name in the tracklist that threw out my searches.

Cheers!

• djtopcat said:
    Seems risky, I guess the chances of the copyright owners actually suing over them is small, but believe me it's still no fun to get direct letters from lawyers threatening huge amounts of money.

meistromoco said:
    djtopcat said:
    Just curious. thx

If you look at any online retailer of dance music, there are tons of under the radar edits that certainly have not cleared samples. I suppose most (but certainly not all) use more obscure source material than the Kon edits, but the practice is widespread.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Short run, sell them all fast.
    Then when you get the C&D letter you can just file it because you have already ceased and desisted.

Suing is for hits where there is money to recoup.

I don't know, but I am guessing that is how it works.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey I booked Kon for a show May 1st in Montreal
    its going to be bonkers..ive picked up a few releases based on this thread so thanks

once i get the artwork i will make proper thread..Strut por vida