• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Philadelphia Flyers / Pittsburgh Penguins

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Habs/Bruins

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Red Sox/Yankees

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ^^^pfffft, LOL^^^

Barcelona v Real Madrid = the Spanish Civil war re-enacted on the football pitch*, some of the fans having been alive with all of the bitter memories of Franco, war crimes, famine, etc etc.
    I sometimes try to argue with my Catalan friends that for Catalunya to be independent, Barcelona the football team would lose it's identity. The team represents the Catalan independence movement, the history of the war, and like it or not, it's defined by it's "enemy". Without Real Madrid to play against (shades of [em]Unbreakable[/em] which I really liked despite it's alcohol-is-bad message), Barcelona FC would be [em]just a club[/em].

Needless to say the hardliners couldn't give a fuck!

* see also Glasgow vs Celtic, which is 500 years of Protestant vs Catholic antipathy, but with added head-butts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Given what you say, who the fuck roots for Madrid?

Duder, have you read The Shadow Of The Wind?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My vote goes to: Dog versus Cat.

But yeah, Duke and Carolina games are almost always unreal in their intensity. I thought the Tar Heels had a win in the bag coming down the stretch last night, but nope.

LaserWolf said:
    Given what you say, who the fuck roots for Madrid?

Who the fuck admits in public to voting Republican?

History is written by the victors...

Madrid fans obviously find it easy to say that supporting their club isn't necessarily supporting Franco (but I expect some fans feel that it is!), and that they have moved on and it's just a sporting rivalry, but I'm sure they're all aware of what it means to Catalans, and nobody is pretending that it isn't at the very least a geographical/cultural rivalry with serious political undertones.

RE: Shadow Of The Wind - no, not yet, sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Duderonomy said:

Who the fuck admits in public to voting Republican?

Dallas Cowboy fans?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    For those that have watched multiple Duke/Carolina games, it is unreal.

No contest. Why are we even talking about Hockey or Futbol.

Red Sox/Yankees, ehhh.

DUKE/CAROLINA = EVERY YEAR. EVERY GAME. game over.

yuichi said:

Red Sox/Yankees, ehhh.

DUKE/CAROLINA = EVERY YEAR. EVERY GAME. game over.

You're right, we shouldn't mention hockey. It's kind of a soft batch "sport"

Here are some intense moments between Duke and Carolina...

etc.

Most rivalries fade.
    R**skins Cowboys who cares?
    Piston Bulls?

Duke NC endures like no other.

• the best rivalry in sports is yuichi "the human hyperbole" vs. batmon "they country as fuck" vs. Rock-thestarstheyshinesobright*clapclapclap*-adelic.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    yuichi said:

LOL

yuichi said:

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' [em]Bill Shankly[/em]

For reasons outlined in poasts above, football is often literally life-and-death vs some teenage college kids playing for parochial pride and future NBA contracts and ------------- wait a minute, we're arguing about which arseholes take sport too seriously.

• "The Football War (Spanish: La guerra del fútbol), also known as the Soccer War or 100 Hour War, was a brief war fought by El Salvador and Honduras in 1969. The cause of the war was economic in nature, namely issues concerning immigration from El Salvador to Honduras.[1] These existing tensions between the two countries coincided with rioting during the second North American qualifying round of the 1970 FIFA World Cup. The war began on 14 July 1969, when the Salvadoran military launched an attack against Honduras. The Organization of American States negotiated a ceasefire on the night of 18 July (hence "100-hour War"), which took full effect on 20 July. Salvadoran troops were withdrawn in early August."

"The Football War (Spanish: La guerra del fútbol), also known as the Soccer War or 100 Hour War, was a brief war fought by El Salvador and Honduras in 1969. The cause of the war was economic in nature, namely issues concerning immigration from El Salvador to Honduras.[1] These existing tensions between the two countries coincided with rioting during the second North American qualifying round of the 1970 FIFA World Cup. The war began on 14 July 1969, when the Salvadoran military launched an attack against Honduras. The Organization of American States negotiated a ceasefire on the night of 18 July (hence "100-hour War"), which took full effect on 20 July. Salvadoran troops were withdrawn in early August."

Supporter rivalry, no question, futbol for the win.

In terms of team rivalry, it's open to debate, but I think Flyers/Pens carries the most hate (lately). Leafs/Habs and yanks/sox for historical reasons.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lakers vs. Celtics

opposite coasts, multiple chips, hall of fame players, deluded fans.

Futball/Soccer is that real shit though.

Maybe we need to add Stockport County vs Worcester City:

I love the way #11 has his arm raised, watches the bodyslam and brings his arm down in-synch, then holds his head in his hands as he realises the consequences.

b/w

It's been a good weekend for bodyslams in English football:

[removed][removed]

Not for nothing, but three out of the four teams from my hometown have been mentioned, and the only reason the Pats haven't been is that nobody can even begin to compete with them. Pretty sure Boston wins for sports fanaticism and historical rivalries.

I don't think the question is, whose fans are the dumbest, or which teams physically attack each other the most.

NC and Duke play with more passion, leading to better, less predictable games, when they play each other. This has been true for decades.

How about United States v. England? Oh wait, that's not a rivalry because BOSTON WON THAT SHIT FOR US ALL 230 YEARS AGO.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Errol Morris' The Heist: about 4 Duke students who stole MJ's jersey

http://grantland.com/errol-morris-week/#theheist

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Y'all got it twisted.....the greatest rivalry in sports is YUICHI vs. BATMON

LaserWolf said:
    I don't think the question is, whose fans are the dumbest, or which teams physically attack each other the most.

NC and Duke play with more passion, leading to better, less predictable games, when they play each other. This has been true for decades.

No other rivalry is that close, EVERY time. That was my main point.

Rockadelic said:
    Y'all got it twisted.....the greatest rivalry in sports is YUICHI vs. BATMON

I'm undefeated against that fool.

by the way, I'm in Austin again (business trip). Seems like residents are running away to get away from the SXSW madness.

Dennis Berkgamp. Dennis Bergkamp. Dennis Bergkamp.

It's the way he's gasping like he has whooping cough - he can't get the oxygene back into his lungs quick enough to say DENNIS BERGKAMP. It has, for 15 seconds, become the only thing that his entire body, nervous system, brain, lungs & vocal chords are in existence for.