Self destruction Vs. we're all in the same game

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
Which is better and who had the best verse in each one?

I lean towards self destruction probably because nostgia.

Best verses: mc lyte / digital underground

Bonus beats: anybody remember "close the crack house"? There was also a similar stop the violence type mega posse cut with cypress hill. I have a copy of it somewhere. It wasn't very good. I don't even remember the name....

-----
Stop the violence was all peace and love but no juice crew...

"We all in the same gang"... Except ice cube because fuck that sellout right?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    THIS
    "I lean towards self destruction probably because nostgia."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Same Gang by a mile. We were fools for Eazy E and NWA back then. Plus, the Digital Underground section of the song where the beat changes...

• HarveyCanal said:
    Same Gang by a mile. We were fools for Eazy E and NWA back then. Plus, the Digital Underground section of the song where the beat changes...

this! for all the same reasons, that beat switch up on the D.U verse is dope..

• haha they dropped that p-funk clap in there because DU owned that shit back then

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    HarveyCanal said:

this! for all the same reasons, that beat switch up on the D.U verse is dope..

Yeah that is the best part of the song for sure. But I gotta take away points for Michelle talking in her mouse voice. I'll also subtract one point for MC Hammer, but I'm going to add that point back because there is something surreal about having MC Hammer and Eazy E in the same song, back to back... and in the video he does a couple of his Hammer moves right as Eazy's verse starts.

I wonder why Too Short didn't make it on there. Seems like an odd omission.

I've been googling trying to find the name of this Cypress Hill 'stop the violence' style posse cut and nothing is turning up. I swear it exists. If I didn't have all my records boxed away in the garage I would go look for it.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    ketan said:
    THIS
    "I lean towards self destruction probably because nostgia."

+1

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Gary said:
    Best verses: mc lyte

LL Cool J wrote Lyte's verse.

Self-Destruction for the win.

Guilty pleasure - Hammer's enthusiasm/verse.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Gary said:

I've been googling trying to find the name of this Cypress Hill 'stop the violence' style posse cut and nothing is turning up. I swear it exists. If I didn't have all my records boxed away in the garage I would go look for it.

I'm guessing you mean "Get the Fist"

Anyway, "Self Destruction" > "We're All in the Same Gang" It's all about MC Lyte's verse, plus one super-powerful couplet from Kool Moe Dee:
    "I never ever ran from the Ku Klux Klan
    And I shouldn't have to run from a Black man"

"Close the Crackhouse" was good and bad. Brother J killed it, of course, Digital Underground was great, and I dug hearing Wise Intelligent do that sing-songy style over the Meters drums. But seriously, why the fuck was Freedom Williams on there?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yes! Get the fist!

• HEAL's gotta at least be in the discussion...

They put LL Cool J on a track with a bunch of Conscious Sisters so he keeps it LL with this extended metaphor or simile or allegory or whatever:

"One of the biggest lies you hear from no one else
    Is when a girl tries to say she don't do it to herself
    Always fantasizing but steadily denying
    Last night she had to stop 'cause her baby was crying
    She do it on the phone all alone wit a smile
    Run the water, grab the shower cap and get buckwhyled
    Soap suds on the floor, oh Al B Sure
    Give it to me, give it to me, give me a little more
    I'm fiending, creaming, screaming, dreaming (what else)
    The girl's possessed by the basehead demon."

b/w:

Weusi Shule > the wack teachers and the wick-wack system

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

Anyway, "Self Destruction" > "We're All in the Same Gang"

Dude! You trying to get your MacArthur pass revoked or something?

• I have a hard time visualizing even one song like those coming out these days, let alone multiple. Drake telling the gangs to put the guns down, Lil Wayne saying to leave the pipe alone.

Same Gang definitely is the stronger track over Self Destruction. The beat for Self Destruction is mediocre and the chanting is not so hot. Same Gang's primary beat was tepid, and then they teased you with a bunch of beats interspersed that were all much better. Digital Underground part? 15 seconds of good beat. Above the Law part? 15 seconds of good beat. Intro? 15 seconds of good beat. Rest of the song? Not so much.

Digital Underground was hot back then, but doesn't it seem weird to have a guy in a plastic nose trying to be serious about gang violence? I guess that's not much different than Hammer being on the track, of course Hammer had serious songs on his albums that no one ever listened to because everyone just bought the U Can't Touch This cassingle and called it a day.

Then again Dana Dane had a song that got airplay that was all about kids getting molested, The 1990s were an interesting time in hip hop.

Gary's baby never hurt nobody, but he still got smoked at BeBe's party,

Harvey's not the first
    or the last
    Nothing but a short story
    from the past
    He's dead now
    Not a number one
    but a zero
    Take notes from Grafwrit-ee
    Your violent hero