dope covers of awful songs

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
I just picked up an ill Taarab song that is almost certainly a cover of the Lambada a/k/a the forbidden dance. I'll rip it when I'm home next week, but I'd love to hear other great successes of the sort in the meantime.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Related, a number of sought after break beat songs, like Little Green Apples and Na Na Hey Hey, are songs I hate. But some of the covers I have heard are aight.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    That ill cover of 'Holding On For A Hero' on one of the Shrek OSTs though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Essential heads know the transaction

• Ha. That song was awesome in the Transformers Animated Movie back in the 80's. There's a good article on the history of that song. Fun read.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I wouldn't call Louie Louie an awful song, but I have been enjoying Clarke/Duke Project's cover version this week.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    ^Totally.

Here's that taarab lambada. I know nothing of the backstory (are they covering the forbidden dance?) nor who the artist is.

More rap songs that turn doo-doo to dope...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ketan said:

Here's that taarab lambada. I know nothing of the backstory (are they covering the forbidden dance?) nor who the artist is.

HYPE. Nice version. I'm too nostalgic about the Lambada track to admit it's awful, though. Strangely enough, the original version is a Bolivian/Andean folk tune, first popularized in 80s Peru.