Solo Fender Rhodes LPs?

uttersutters 321 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
Racking my brains about LPs or even tracks out there of solo Fender Rhodes... pretty much only coming up with Clare Fischer 'Great White Hope' and 'The Bill Evans Album'. Non-library albums I mean

Anyone care to add?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can think of nothing apart from library stuff, such as some of Simon Park's albums for De Wolfe as Simon Haseley. I seem to remember some of them being solo performances.

If the Never Enough Rhodes blog can't find enough material to justify creating a "solo" tag, I suspect there can't be that much out there.

• gordon beck - french connection

steve halperin

i can think of a number of duos that feature rhodes like that pat martino record on muse...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    for sampling reasons, i m pretty obsessed with this subject, but in 10+ years i ve come up with very little.
    whole lps, except for the ones mentioned (halpern has multiple solo fender rhodes jams) i know none out of my head right now.
    there is a flexi disc from herbie hancock demonstrating the fender rhodes that is only rhodes.

as for solo fender rhodes tracks, there is loads. other times, the rhodes are hard panned on one channel so you can make it into a solo rhodes track.

edit: if i remember correct there is a lot of solo fender rhodes action on some of cal tjaders late 70s lps.

• check out that pat martino, i am revisiting for the first time in years right now. lots of solo rhodes action.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I am sure I've heard some Frank McComb solo pieces.
    Youtube it. Awesome talent.

Gordon Beck - good shout. Bill Evans used to run stuff by Gordon to see if he thought it was any good.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Lots of nice stuff. I know that Stanley Cowell, always thought it was acoustic piano though!

I'm the same as you invrs, I was thinking about this for sampling purposes

-Alfredo Remus '5' LP
    -Dave Grusin LP on Sheffield Labs
    - Robben Ford Schizophonic LP
    - Bar Kays 'Frame Of Mind'
    - Antonio Adolfo 'Encontro Musical' LP
    - Kimiko Kasai 'This Is My Love' LP

All notable in my collection for teh excellent solo Rhoedz

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I now realise I was confusing Simon Haseley the library dude with Steve Halpern/Halperin the solo Rhodes dude.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Not too sure about the Halpern/New Age stuff tbh, quite wishy-washy. Boring chords. Hoping to find more stuff like the Pat Martino, essentially jazz ballads (full of extended chords) played on Rhodes

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Sadly this isn't on LP, but Herbie sometimes solo'd live on the Rhodes during the 70's. I was blown away the first time I heard his Rhodes solo on the live recording from 28th October 1973 (Ann Arbor, Michigan) - so I figured out what was going on and played it at a gig a few years ago:

I also transcribed a live recording of Hermeto Pascoal:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Utters, I'm curious as to why you are leaving library stuff out. You can hear amazing rhodes on Paolo Zavallone's "Papillon Rouge", and Stefano Torossi's "Running Fast".

This isn't library but almost sounds like it is: Harry Roche Constellation - "Spiral" has wicked rhodes, too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    French Connection and the follow up are tepid verging on unlistenable, IMHO natch.

• there's a couple of great Dexter Wansel solo rhodes/ep records he did for Tuff City (iirc) I know this isn't exactly vintage but they are chill idk

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    parallax said:
    Utters, I'm curious as to why you are leaving library stuff out

Yeah fair point! I've slimmed down my collection to LPs that I can listen to the whole way through, and not keep stuff that just has one drum break or sample on etc

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    parallax said:
    You can hear amazing rhodes on Paolo Zavallone's "Papillon Rouge", and Stefano Torossi's "Running Fast".

This isn't library but almost sounds like it is: Harry Roche Constellation - "Spiral" has wicked rhodes, too.

I'm talking about unaccompanied/solo Rhodes though, not solos played on rhodes?

• do not sample those dexter wansel tuff city records. madlib got sued for that. stay away from tuff city.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    DjWillderness said:
    do not sample those dexter wansel tuff city records. madlib got sued for that. stay away from tuff city.

That would be his fault for not clearing it, not theirs!

Just checked it out actually, the recording is straight up shitty. Sounds like someone held up an iPhone on the other side of an untreated room...

• the piano conclave albums on mps/atlantic and the keyboard conclave albums on supraphon all have solo rhodes passages..