Do the vinyls off-gas??

LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
One of my buds raised the specter of me slowly becoming a drooling incontinent idiot due to my record collection off-gasing petroleum based toxins. It's in a room off my bedroom. There's a lot of records. I'd always been careful with mold, but off-gasing?? What do use thinks?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I don't think it would cause brain damage, but I think there is some kind of link between vinyl and cancer. But I would imagine there's other shit that will give you cancer before the records do.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have some acetates, I know they are off gassing because I can smell them.
    Records seem to be fairly stable, no smell.

Now the glue on the covers...
    And the ink, don't forget the ink, good chance of lead poisoning from the covers.
    Don't let your children touch them.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I don't think it would cause brain damage, but I think there is some kind of link between vinyl and cancer. But I would imagine there's other shit that will give you cancer before the records do.

What you're saying is I should start smoking again just to hedge my bets.

• I say you alter your diet to get gassy right back at them. Gas on Gas warfare. As long as your gas is the winner, you live!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    From 40 or 50 year old vinyl? Probably done doing most offgassing of any notice.

• As Laserwolf also said, my dubplates stink (there are some sitting behind me now and I love the smell), but surely normal records have been around long enough for a correlation to become apparent?
    I certainly hope there are no health hazards as my daughter has been in my crates, shelves since she could haul herself up to them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    johnblack said:

I'm pretty much the opposite of OCD, yet I still have an overwhelming urge to tighten up those records. AND SHE'S GOING TO PULL THEM OUT ALL OVER THE FLOOR DEAR GOD THE HUMANITY WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN RECORDS?

• hahahaha, yeah it became impossible to keep them tidy after she discovered them.
    anything important / valuable was put on a set of shelves in another room!

it WAS all pristine and organised pre-kid, but keeping records tidy slides down the list pretty quick.
    I didn't want to discourage her from having a dig either, she loves getting them out and I have been teaching her how to get them out and play them properly.
    She doesn't think it's properly music until it's a record on, which is equal parts cool and pretentious!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    johnblack said:

I'm pretty much the opposite of OCD, yet I still have an overwhelming urge to tighten up those records. AND SHE'S GOING TO PULL THEM OUT ALL OVER THE FLOOR DEAR GOD THE HUMANITY WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN RECORDS?

lol!