RIP A$AP YAMS

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
This is such sad news.

There seems little point in even starting a thread like this on here anymore, but fuck it, Yams completely changed the face of hip-hop. Whether or not you approve of the direction it's gone in since is beside the point - dude was a frighteningly thorough and knowledgeable student of hip-hop and street culture and, using just his own smarts and his own taste plus a little bit of inside knowledge acquired as a workie for Dipset, managed to turn the entire rap game on its head from a fucking tumblr. And to see so much of the shit he set off via that site bleeding into mainstream pop culture years later - with hardly anyone realising - was fucking crazy. One of the most important figures to have emerged in hip-hop this century. RIP.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    damn. too young

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Amen. Never realised he was that young considering "The Mature Diversity of his Portfolio".

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    100% on what doc said
    i know homies that were close with him
    its terribly sad cause he was only getting started

• Really sad news. I heard about it first on Instagram sometime yesterday. There are a lot of posts about him from people I wouldn't have expected to be fans. Just echoes the sentiments above about how influential and respected he was.

RIP

EDIT--
    Oh. And thanks to Doc for starting the thread. I hope in the future that when you think about a thread idea and say "ahhh that's probably pointless," you don't listen to your inner doc and post it anyways. We need more threads like this. I'm not young enough that I have any friends/colleagues into A$AP stuff, but I'm for sure old enough that most of my friends and colleagues do not even know they exist.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Fair to say that there isn't a lot of stuff to be "Into", if you're talking just music?

Loved "Trillmatic". The rest, not so memorable. I am not in the A$AP target demographic vis-a-vis the lifestyle-as-fashion element.

Which is what dude was winning at, and I guess that's where it's all going.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    RIP, and echoing all the plaudits above. I was a fan of all the rap references the mob stuff fit into their music, never felt lazy to me.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ketan said:
    RIP, and echoing all the plaudits above. I was a fan of all the rap references the mob stuff fit into their music, never felt lazy to me.

indeed

• Beyond Rocky and Ferg, I'm not very versed in the A$AP mob. I googled yams and hit a rolling stone article on his death. The comments were so depressing. I don't know what motivates people to be so ignorantly mean.

Anyhoo. I like the ASAP stuff, so I'm a fan of what he started even though I didn't know it.