Selma

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
Just saw the movie yesterday with the family. Can't recommend it enough.

Comments

• Saw the trailer in the theater around Xmas time. Chuck D's urgent call to "The People" paired with images of police brutality and citizen protest gave me chills. I'm not prone to feel moved by movie ads but this one struck a chord. Will peep for certain

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im checkin this.

Excellent film.

My only minor gripe was that it sometimes felt like a TV movie.
    Theres a lot of head shots.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:

Theres a lot of head shots.

• Saw it today. It's a powerful work even though it suffers from some of the usual problems true event films have.

What a disgrace it is that in the last two Presidential elections we still had (mostly black and poor) voters standing in line for hours to vote. And mostly in the same still-Confederate states you'd expect.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw it this weekend.
    Recommend.

I read and heard a lot about Prez LBJ. So much so I thought it was going to be a movie about MLK and LBJ. The LBJ historians were arguing that it was LBJ not king who got the Voting Rights Act passed.
    This worried me because in my view it was ordinary citizens standing up for their rights that it passed. Fortunately the movie showed that, though some might not see.
    What I was pleasantly surprised to see was the tension between SNCC and SCLC.
    I'm much more interested to know the historical accuracy of MLK's relationship with John Lewis, than with LBJ.

LaserWolf said:
    What I was pleasantly surprised to see was the tension between SNCC and SCLC.
    I'm much more interested to know the historical accuracy of MLK's relationship with John Lewis, than with LBJ.

The tensions between the groups were real.
    Im pretty sure the Eye on The Prize Documentary discusses their issues.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes. I remember.
    Just saying I read a lot about the accuracy of Johnson King interplay.
    I'm wondering if the Lewis King interplay is any more or less historical.
    All I know is that Lewis endorses the film.

The other SNCC volunteer, James Forman, has an interesting story too.

• LaserWolf said:
    The other SNCC volunteer, James Forman, has an interesting story too.

It's not explicit in the movie, but Forman was an atheist who wasn't thrilled with the sis-boom-Jesus-rah! approach to gaining civil rights.