Does Teh Strut give a damn that Joe Cocker is dead?

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
I'll guess 'not especially'

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Skel,

Personally, I've always enjoyed Mr. Cocker's music. I'm saddened to hear that he has passed. It's quite a coincidence that I included one of his tunes on my most recent mix. He made a huge imprint on popular music, thus assuring the strength of his legacy. Suffice it to say, I ride. RIP, Mr. Cocker.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• damn. RIP. guy had plenty of great joints and albums.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hard to think of a non-Beatle owning a Beatles song as much as he did

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    His "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" backing band had the best players in the business (Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, Carl Radle, Jim Price, Jim Keltner, Chris Stainton and Jim Gordon) and really made those early LP's what they were.

R.I.P.

• one of those classic rock artists who i always had respect for but still need to really delve into the catalog. he always came with an intensity & soulfulness that lots of his peers were missing.

RIP.

• His voice will always be a part of rock n roll.
    Woman to woman is my joint!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    He was a great singer. I think he gets thought of as our parents much with "up where we belong" etc but his eary stuff was solid. Got to give it to him for havin such a grimey hippie look in the beginning.

One of my favorite letterman appearances. Dave indroduces him saying the new album is titled "cocker". Then Dave pauses and says "cocker I didn't even know her". Big laugh. Then after joe sings he comes over for the interview and says he didn't understand Dave American joke and asked for an explanation. Dave says I'll tell you later.

• Great voice and a compelling performer if you hadn't seen him for a while.

Oh, wait, that was John Belushi.

RIP.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Other than the Wonder Years intro... I never much cared for dude. Tainted by Officer and a Gentleman soundtrack. Oh... and lung cancer battle. smoker?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    countmacula said:

• RAJ said:
    Oh... and lung cancer battle. smoker?

Honing his voice on a bottle of bourbon and 80 cigarettes a day, Cocker spent much of the Seventies in an alcohol and drug-fuelled haze. He reached the bottom in 1974 when the curtain was lowered on a performance in Los Angeles in which, having appeared in a vomit-encrusted jacket and cast-off jeans, he curled into the foetal position and was unable to continue.

The surprise is that he lasted this long.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Hard to think of a non-Beatle owning [strong]three[/strong] Beatles song as much as he did

And of course...

RIP.

• batmon said:
    countmacula said:

Yes!!!! Also that EPMD is a classic!

• LazarusOblong said:
    RAJ said:
    Oh... and lung cancer battle. smoker?

Honing his voice on a bottle of bourbon and 80 cigarettes a day, Cocker spent much of the Seventies in an alcohol and drug-fuelled haze. He reached the bottom in 1974 when the curtain was lowered on a performance in Los Angeles in which, having appeared in a vomit-encrusted jacket and cast-off jeans, he curled into the foetal position and was unable to continue.

The surprise is that he lasted this long.

damn, 80 cigarettes a day... i am glad to be a quitter! R.I.P, didnt know who he was until i started watching Wonder Years as a kid..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great voice, great band.
    Not many ugly spastics make it to the top, it takes a lot of talent.

I have had the Mad Dog and Englishmen doc in my queue for a long time.
    20 ft From Stardom uses clips from it, and Claudia Lennear talks fondly of the tour.