Xmas wants lists

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
It's that time of year again.. What are you'll going to be asking Santa for?

I ask mainly out of hope for inspiration. I don't really seem to want much, apart from proper expensive shit, otherwise if it's something i want I can just buy it for myself any time.

So what you after? What's the best thing you've gotten recently?

Some stuff I like

this place does custom lego kits http://ichibantoys.com/spinner/

this is an artbook of japanese artist Ikenaga Yasunari http://jp.japanese-finearts.com/item/list2/4-89-001/Ikenaga-Yasunari/Ikenaga-Yasunari-s-Art-Book

there used to be a good site that was like a hipsterish gift guide, but it shut down. anyone know of anything like that?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Socks. Always socks.

My brother has moved to Cambodia which is a shame as we'd always buy each other a nice bottle of single malt. That's about the only thing I look forward to present-wise.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    As far as xmas socks go I'm a big fan of these - http://www.happysocks.com/uk/men/

I'm weird with socks doe. I find that I have to wear ones that are quite thick (would Americans call them sweat socks?) like the cheap brands that sports shops often sell. The thinner the sock, the hotter my feet get. This seems illogical until you remember that wearing no socks should provide cool feet in shoes, but it actually makes your feet sweat like hell if you've ever tried it.
    This means that the current fad for bright socks with weird patterns is off-limits for me. Oh noes.

• Duderonomy said:

I'm weird with socks doe. I find that I have to wear ones that are quite thick (would Americans call them sweat socks?) like the cheap brands that sports shops often sell. The thinner the sock, the hotter my feet get. This seems illogical until you remember that wearing no socks should provide cool feet in shoes, but it actually makes your feet sweat like hell if you've ever tried it.
    This means that the current fad for bright socks with weird patterns is off-limits for me. Oh noes.

Preach!! Thin socks make my feet really gross and sweaty.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    weird hotfooted muthafuckers. no happy socks for you then. (:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Okem said:
    weird hotfooted muthafuckers.

I'll be pretty pissed if I don't get to use this once today while out Christmas gift sock hunting.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I stopped buying gifts for anyone other than my kids 2 years back; wish I'd made that move long before.
    I know the mother will get me something, but woman has abysmal taste so provided its consumable were good.
    I did buy 2 TVs today. Currys, permanent sale of LCD electronics for LCD punters.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    skel said:
    I stopped buying gifts for anyone other than my kids 2 years back; wish I'd made that move long before.
    I know the mother will get me something, but woman has abysmal taste so provided its consumable were good.
    I did buy 2 TVs today. Currys, permanent sale of LCD electronics for LCD punters.

Word.

I told my wife in October that I'm done with buying gifts for anyone other than kids.

My wife LOVES Christmas and buying/opening gifts. She asked me to reconsider. But she too has abysmal taste.

Last year I got her a $500+ Coach bag (one of the rare nice ones that are understated, elegant, and don't have the "C" barfed all over it) She had her eye on it but couldn't pull the trigger.

Year before, a 64G iPad (she loves Apple).

Year before, a Kate Spade clutch and gown (which she fawned over for weeks).

Year before that, Louboutin shoes and fine Cole Haan leather gloves.

You get the picture.

In the last few Xmas', I've received $10 70's couch-grey Old Navy house shoes and a box of Turtles; fuckin' Joe Boxer pajama pants in a hideous plaid with a pyramid of Ferrero Rocher chocolates; ghastly and ill-fitting Gap sweaters; etc.

At first, I thought she was fucking with me. But it turns out that she's horrible at buying gifts, even though she has a high-paying gig and we carry zero debt (outside of housing mortgage).

It's comical, but still, I've now excused myself from crowded malls and long-ass lines. Fuck that.

Merry Christmas!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Give it a year or so & I think I'll be there. But I'm still not zen enough to pass up free stuff.

I am looking to get a fancy new tv as well, just one will do me though. Which model did you buy S?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I only buy for the wife and the kids in the immediate family (5). Just too expensive otherwise and none of the adults NEED anything. I don't personally need anything that Santa can mitigate (job, house, lottery win).

I wouldn't mind another bass, a five-string, but it's just too expensive. I don't want anything else. No doubt the Mrs will do her best to fill my stocking :ayo:, but I can't see what she's going to do that won't constitute a waste of money.

It will be thermal underwear, won't it?

#1 has had an Xbox ONE for a joint birthday/Christmas present (his birthday was last week). Christ, I can't recall ever having that spent on me by somone else, ever. #2 is getting a Wii-U. Rest assured they only play videogames at weekends, as opposed to the Xbox-as-surrogate-parent approach that some folks at school seem to take.

They have no fear of any technology. I have grown to accept they are not going to have the wooden-hoop-and-orange Victorian Christmases that marked my own childhood. Well, it was Action Man, Dinky cars and books, then an Atari (used) from '82 onwards.

I have dealt.

Okem said:
    Give it a year or so & I think I'll be there. But I'm still not zen enough to pass up free stuff.

I am looking to get a fancy new tv as well, just one will do me though. Which model did you buy S?

Panasonic 32 and a 40, with some Soundstage thing for better ambiance. Add in various cables and set-up man and it's 800 all in. Next up: media stands.

What, no Wizard Balls™ ???

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    skel said:
    Okem said:

Panasonic 32 and a 40, with some Soundstage thing for better ambiance. Add in various cables and set-up man and it's 800 all in. Next up: media stands.
    I was expecting you to say one of those giant curved beasts. I'm looking at a 48" Samsung tomorrow. Gona go big & go home? Well bigish by todays standard. It's seems kinda comically large, but the only thing I'm really going to use it for is watching movies, so it makes sense. Kinda fancy a bit of novelty 3d as well, even if it is a dying format already.

• Okem said:
    As far as xmas socks go I'm a big fan of these - http://www.happysocks.com/uk/men/

http://socksandlaces.com/

one pair of socks with matching laces delivered every month. i get it for myself every xmas.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My wife and I are combining xmas gifts and wedding gifts to eachother for a vacation.

That's all I ever really want is to travel.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I hate the gift giving. And receiving.
    If I want something I will buy it, thank you.

I give some home made things.
    And some gift cards for the nieces.

I had to listen to The Chipmunk Christmas Song while on hold today.

But hey, I'm Jewish.
    I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, or other holiday of your choosing.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I need some chukkas, but damn if the quality of the big names hasn't gone down the swanee. Current pair have lasted less than a year, heels worn through and I don't even scuff when I walk.

Might have to buy actual work boots with steely toes to get that quality, but then it feels like you have concrete wrapped around your feet.

Anyone got recommendations?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Rishan said:
    I need some chukkas, but damn if the quality of the big names hasn't gone down the swanee. Current pair have lasted less than a year, heels worn through and I don't even scuff when I walk.

Might have to buy actual work boots with steely toes to get that quality, but then it feels like you have concrete wrapped around your feet.

I've had Timberland boots last me a good while, and they weren't the steel-toe work boots either. One of those slip-on type things with the elastic on the side. They were waterproof and not too heavy or stiff, great for winter. Don't know about their chukkas though.

Rishan said:

A good repair shop can put on superior heels and soles if needed.
    If you are doing construction or are working in a shop with a concrete floor and hazards laying around, get a good pair of work boots. They will not be as stylish or comfortable.
    Don't get steel toes unless it is required by your employer.

Check Red Wings.

skel said:

I'm going out on a limb here and claiming that you're getting old if only because this sounds like my dad's behaviour. First thing he did once he'd moved house was buy a fuck-off 60" tv with surround sound etc.

He also has the same attitude to presents.

Duderonomy said:
    skel said:

I'm going out on a limb here and claiming that you're getting old if only because this sounds like my dad's behaviour. First thing he did once he'd moved house was buy a fuck-off 60" tv with surround sound etc.

Where's that Luke/Vader gif when you need it?

Anyways, fule kno that I don't watch TV ever. Purely for purposes of multiple kids and their various Xbox n ps4 configurations.
    I've outsourced my "quality time" and parental duties to Minecraft and GTA.
    Word to Jimster.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

OOFFF!

skel said:
    Duderonomy said:
    skel said:

Where's that Luke/Vader gif when you need it?

Anyways, fule kno that I don't watch TV ever. Purely for purposes of multiple kids and their various Xbox n ps4 configurations.
    I've outsourced my "quality time" and parental duties to Minecraft and GTA.
    Word to Jimster.

Hah! My dad is all about PGA Golf & Skyrim.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    this seems like a handy resource for the holiday season: http://peewee.com/gifts

FINALLY.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=12543&promo=The-Unexpected&catid=1746

The Life Size Tyrannosaurus Skeleton.

Spanning 40' from tail to snout, this is the life-size replica fossil skeleton of Stan, a Tyrannosaur first unearthed in South Dakota’s Black Hills in 1992. Found in a disarticulated state (each bone was separated from the others), Stan’s skeleton fossilized over millions of years with little-to-no distortion or crushing, making him the most complete (190 bones) male Tyrannosaurus rex ever found. This museum-quality replica is expertly crafted using GI-1000-grade silicone molds that impart stunning, authentic detail to the polyurethane resin casts that faithfully preserve the healed injuries Stan suffered during life, including a broken neck and ribs as well as puncture wounds in his skull and lower jaw. Supported by a cleverly concealed steel structure, Stan can be customized into any anatomically possible pose desired by a complimentary assembly crew, whether vertically at 15' tall as if surveying the landscape or horizontally at 12' tall as if lunging for prey. Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply. Please call 1-800-227-3528 for details. 40' L x 5' W x 15' H. (1,500 lbs.)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Here's some other sites to make you want shit you don't need

http://neeed.com/
    http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/new/

J i m s t e r said:
    FINALLY.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=12543&promo=The-Unexpected&catid=1746

The Life Size Tyrannosaurus Skeleton.

Spanning 40' from tail to snout, this is the life-size replica fossil skeleton of Stan, a Tyrannosaur first unearthed in South Dakota’s Black Hills in 1992. Found in a disarticulated state (each bone was separated from the others), Stan’s skeleton fossilized over millions of years with little-to-no distortion or crushing, making him the most complete (190 bones) male Tyrannosaurus rex ever found. This museum-quality replica is expertly crafted using GI-1000-grade silicone molds that impart stunning, authentic detail to the polyurethane resin casts that faithfully preserve the healed injuries Stan suffered during life, including a broken neck and ribs as well as puncture wounds in his skull and lower jaw. Supported by a cleverly concealed steel structure, Stan can be customized into any anatomically possible pose desired by a complimentary assembly crew, whether vertically at 15' tall as if surveying the landscape or horizontally at 12' tall as if lunging for prey. Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply. Please call 1-800-227-3528 for details. 40' L x 5' W x 15' H. (1,500 lbs.)

The dino is cool but they have many other cool items in their catalog.
    I want this nap anywhere pillow.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I WAS GONNA RAGE ON XMAS AND THEN I SEE THIS PILLOW AND I AM HYPED FOR THE SEASON NOW

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Organic vs Synthetic material related.