podcast recommendations

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
I love listening to podcasts and welcome all Strutter recommendations.

My regular listens (pretty vanilla fare but like I said - hip me to teh good shit):

Hardcore History
Common Sense
Duncan Trussell Family Hour
SOFREP
Lowy Institute
CSIS
Joe Rogan podcast
Ten Minute Podcast

Comments

• I was thinking of doing this very same post. The new podcast app that showed up with the iOS update got me hooked recently.

I am currently into these:

Serial - a week by week investigation of the same topic - currently a 1999 murder case. It's Sarah Koenig from This American Life and uses interviews and historical documents. Totally addicting.

Working - very simple format. What do people do all day. First ep was Stephen Colbert. Lots of info and really interesting. Second ep was a doctor in a low income area. Also really interesting.

Strangers - I'm only a few episodes in, but am enjoying it. The "falling slowly" episode hooked me. I'm currently on the Love Hurts episodes. Interesting idea, having people talk about strangers that impacted their life.

Stuff You Should Know - only listened to a few, but pretty good.

I have the Jeff Garlin By The Way podcast cued up, but haven't checked it out yet.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I like Harmontown, aka what Dan Harmon did after getting fired from Community. It's probably at its best with a strong guest on the show like Kumail Nanjiani.

Welcome to Night Vale is pretty good for falling asleep to.

& No Such Thing As Fish, which is a UK based podcast made by the researchers for a show called Qi. It's basically interesting and unusual facts show.

• I know it was mentioned on here already, but The Combat Jack show is pretty amazeballs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The homies do a show called Cratery. Which sometimes has guest like Amir, Jake One, Etc.

http://cratery.com/category/podcast/

Itunes link

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/cratery/id580278924

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Awesome. Thanks fellas, subscribing now.

• How did this get made?, The Champs and Dead Authors are all pretty awesome. Hound Tall with Moshe Kasher is new with only two episodes up, but both were entertaining.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Stuff You Should Know
    A History of The World In 100 Objects (BBC)
    David Choe's DVDASA (tasteless as fuck but it makes me laugh)

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    StarTalk. NDT is the man.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Serial - a week by week investigation of the same topic - currently a 1999 murder case. It's Sarah Koenig from This American Life and uses interviews and historical documents. Totally addicting.

Completely addicting. I listened to one and immediately had to listen to all of them.

• Depends what you dig.

On the art front I have a lot of time for the Live Free podcast Mike Maxwell does. Depends on the interviewee, obviously, but there are some great conversations there. Also on a similar note the Adventures in Design Podcasts are interesting, especially the Morning Breath Inc one.

If you dig "alternative" comics (books, not comedians) the Make It Then Tell Everybody podcast has some nice interviews too.

I downloaded a gang of the Redbull Fireside Chats interviews which are also pretty interesting and the Wandering Wolf podcasts Yoni Wolf (WHY?) does are worth a listen if you dig that style of thing. One of the early episodes has pretty much the best/most insightful Mr Dibbs interview I've ever heard. Jeff Weiss and Nocando's Shots Fired is worth a look too.