attacks on ottawa

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
fuck.

canada just became a very different country all of the sudden.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Awful.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    What's happening?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Some guy shot and killed a ceremonial guard in the canadian forces and then ran into our parliament and exchanged fire with security forces. They guy was killed in that exchange. There *may* be another shooter running around downtown Ottawa, but it's not clear. The whole area is under lock down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-hill-attack-1-gunman-dead-after-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2808710

• vintageinfants said:
    fuck.

canada just became a very different country all of the sudden.

ah, welcome. guns are just ahead to your right, you can hang your civil liberties on the hooks to your left. saddle up and have a drink.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    This is going to be pushed as a terrorist attack. If this was just one dude, I hope they don't push that agenda. Unless the other incident is connected.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    This is going to be pushed as a terrorist attack. If this was just one dude, I hope they don't push that agenda. Unless the other incident is connected.

isnt this ISIS related? Canada joins the "war against" reaction.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    PM Harper steps up his Islamophobia game.

• Stats Canada @stats_canada ┬À 12m 12 minutes ago

Canadians are 100% united and 100% pissed off

• this is the dude who aced the shooter. good looks on you seargent-at-arms Kevin Vickers

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cool, I wish he did it w/the club he's holding though.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    the Nova Scotia Legislature building was on lockdown today and all the military bases in the province have heightnened security and they are telling military people here to dress down unless they are on duty - WTF

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Definitely keeping mellow tonight. Playing the Whispers and drinkin a cold one. Different vibe to a city on lockdown, that's for sure. An eery calm tinged with checked hysteria makes for an edgy brew. I had 3 kids in three separate schools in lockdown today. They all had a story to tell at the dinner table, that's for sure. We live a 10 min bike ride from parliament, oof. My girl was going to show a german exchange student the Peace tower today. Glad she didn't.
    All's well that ends well I guess. Unfortunately Harper is going to pick up this ball and run with it.

Being originally from Ottawa. Every time I go to visit family with my gf we take a walk up to Parliament Hill. I have always loved laying on the grass on a hot summers day. Walking behind and looking over the Ottawa river across to Hull.

Having such freedom to walk around at any time during the day really makes me happy and feel a sense of what Canada means to me. I hope that never changes.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago after midnight.

And on a side note. Great coverage by the CBC and Peter Mansbridge. Calm reporting not filled with speculation, wild rumours and more importantly, fear.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Creepy as fuck PM spouting the same shit that was said 13 years ago south of the border. Expecting some northern Patriot Act type thing any day. Fuck this shit.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    I had 3 kids in three separate schools in lockdown today.

OOF. That can't be easy. Glad everyone is okay.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Lone gun man.
    Mentally ill drug addict.
    Keep Calm.

• LaserWolf said:
    Lone gun man.
    Mentally ill drug addict.
    Keep Calm.

Zehaf-BibeauÔÇÖs Quebec criminal record includes 11 charges.
    In a one-month period between Nov. 20 and Dec. 15, 2001, he received an absolute discharge for credit card fraud in Montreal and fines for drunk driving in Mont-Tremblant and assault in Laval.
    In March 2003, he was sentenced to three months in prison for theft and another six months for possession of a dangerous weapon in Saint-J├®r├┤me, north of Montreal. In 2004, he received another brief jail term to escaping custody twice and possession of marijuana and PCP. In mid 2005 and again in 2006, he was charged with marijuana possession in Montreal, for which he received first a small fine and, on the second occasion, another absolute discharge.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He was hired by the Sith Lord to persuade the Council.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yesterdays headline: Halifax police say no indication of ÔÇÿany local threatÔÇÖ following incidents in Ottawa, Quebec

todays headline: Man arrested after firearm found on Halifax Transit bus in downtown core

woke up this morning to Halifax being on lockdown after someone saw a dude with a gun roaming around...finally caught the dude and found his gun... but a crazy situation this morning for sure..