Austin! (Once again)

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Just found out I'm going this weekend. A friend who moved there in June bought me a tic to come help him rock a house party. I know there have been numerous threads about Austin...
I'm only there from fri night til Sunday afternoon. What's a top 3 list for cant miss food joints or other fun stuffs?
Harv?

Thanks in advance for any tips. My friend is still quite new there. I'm sure he'd like to know teh real.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Depends on what you are looking to do? And what you are looking to eat? We got lots of options around here nowadays.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I would def want to peep some bbq. I like really spicy foods. I'm into most everything.

My go-to bbq spot for the past 25 years is Ruby's on 29th at Guadalupe. Not to be confused with Rudy's.

La Barbeque and of course Franklin for the trendy, but truly top notch craft barbeque.

Or you could go all-the-way old school and hit up Sam's Barbeque on 12th at Chicon.

Hoover's on Manor or Threadgill's on North Lamar for Southern cooking.

My go-to Mexican spot is El Caribe on North Lamar at Koenig.

I also really like Little Mexico on South 1st.

Also on South 1st, La Mexicana Bakery for 24 hour tacos.

I'd recommend hitting up one of the East Side King's for amazing Asian fusion food.

Oh yeah, we've got Tito's vodka down here. But better yet, Deep Eddy ruby red grapefruit vodka.

ABGB on Oltorf is a decent brewpub. And East 6th Street is where a bunch of good bars are located...Liberty, Shangri La, Grackle, Volstead, etc.

My favorite local beers are Thirsty Goat Amber, Fireman's 4 Blonde Ale, and Pearl Snap Pils.

Enjoy.

Thanks man!! Sounds great!

So how did it go?

I had blast out there! I got in friday night and had to leave sunday morning so not much time unfortunately. We didn't make it to any of the places on your list but my friend will def be hitting them up. I plan to go back for about a week in the end of January. We went to Barton Springs saturday morning which was great! I'd never heard of cold springs before.