DAYCARE FUNK (PLAESE TO RECOMMEND AND DO IT FOR TEH CHILDRENS)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
SO MY LADY WENT TO PICK UP OUR KID FROM TEH DAYCARES AND THEY WERE PLAYING ENYA AND SHIT. SHE GOT ON ABOUT WHAT'S THE HELL WITH TEH ENYAS AND MY DUDE KNOWS TEH GOOD MUSICS AND LONG STORY SHORT I NEED TO PROVIDE A BUNCH OF CDS TO TEH DAYCARES OF THAT REAL KID-FRIENDLY SCHITT.

SO.

PLAESE TO RECOMMEND TEH POSITIVE INSTRUMENTAL FUNKS AND SOULS AND KID-FRIENDLY JAWNS LIKE TEH SHIRLEY ELLIS CLAPPING SONG. ALSO SOMEONE PLAESE TO PROVIDE A RIP OF MULTIPLICATION ROCK.

HALP ME SOULTRUST. YOU'RE MY ONLY HAPE.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Do you really need recommendations for this?

If you are already up on the Hand Clapping Song and Multiplication Rock, I'm pretty sure you can handle it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

If you are already up on the Hand Clapping Song and Multiplication Rock, I'm pretty sure you can handle it.

Well, I'm also going to throw some JBs in there and Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm, but I'm looking for dudes to, you know, PARTICIPATE AND POAST ABOUT MUSIC PLAESE.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I meant to post this for the last "day of sharing the vinyl rips" and didn't get around to it. I have the wav on my HD; I will chop it up tonight and poast. It's an old timey Indian take on kids songs that is utterly adorable at times, and super weird at other times. I'm going to give i my kid's daycare and so should everyone else.

http://www.discogs.com/Amjad-Ali-Khan-Sings-With-The-Children/release/3682973

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    from what I understand The Ramones is also quite appealing to people ages 12 & under

• Bossa Nova, folk and classical. You want mellow music because these kids are hyper to begin with.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Well, I'm also going to throw some JBs in there and Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm, but I'm looking for dudes to, you know, PARTICIPATE AND POAST ABOUT MUSIC PLAESE.

I just played a bunch of classic breaks and electro for a group of kids and they loved it.

When I was a kid in school, we listened to a lot of Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang, and the Meters. We loved it.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Keep em mellow w/ something in the Hysear Don Walker vol 2 vein . In my experience kids are great at judging a good groove. Fatback Band always hits mine between the eyes: Going to my Baby's place etc... Mine love the soul as well, following the lyrics way more then I tend to.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Bob Marley, agent 23 skidoo.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No

Misdemeanour
    One Bad Apple
    Mr Telephone Man
    Mr Blue Sky
    Rat In Me Kitchen
    Candy Girl

Kids be loving that shit

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    That ill 70s Sesame Skreet counting jernt.
    JBs are on point
    Specials - Guns of Navarrone
    Madness - One Step Beyond
    Stevie - Sir Duke for make teh scats
    I had #2 clapping along to Bennie Maupin's Slow Traffic set.
    My brhatz love Dem some brassy tings

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    this is dope! i have a 14 month old daughter and we play music all the time when we are home together, but i have yet to hear them playing any music at the daycare that isnt some "do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around" ish...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Bossa Nova, folk and classical. You want mellow music because these kids are hyper to begin with.

What is the purpose of the music? For the kids to chill out/background music or to sing/dance along to?

leon said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Bossa Nova, folk and classical. You want mellow music because these kids are hyper to begin with.

What is the purpose of the music? For the kids to chill out/background music or to sing/dance along to?

Background music for everything from playtime, to meals, to pre-nap. I basically need to come up with a few days worth of music that works as background for the gamut of things kids do at daycare.

Also, RIPS POR FAVOR!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Kool & the gang

bootsy collins

stevie wonder

Doesn't need to be obscure either. Like, Mr. Blue Sky is a good call. Archie Bell - Tighten Up would be right, you know?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Joe Tex

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ZOOM/PLAYGROUNDS

M'BOOM - Max Roach and them.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    This is my 2-yr old's joint, which is not funky, but an ill cut that fits both adults and children.

I would suggest throwing some jazz in the mix rather than boiling it all down to deh braeks. Things like Tenorio Jr's "Nebulosa", Guaraldi joints, etc. seem like good choices.

parallax said:
    This is my 2-yr old's joint, which is not funky, but an ill cut that fits both adults and children.

I would suggest throwing some jazz in the mix rather than boiling it all down to deh braeks. Things like Tenorio Jr's "Nebulosa", Guaraldi joints, etc. seem like good choices.

I'm actually totally about that. A mix of styles would be best.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Nebulosa is a good call, except for the dissonant piano chords in the middle which, when mixed with E numbers, causes havoc.

I have 5 boys and found THEE soporific cd is one composed of pop reggae staples; kids asleep within the 20 mins guaranteed:

Janet Kay silly games
    Marley jammin
    Pluto Shervington Dat
    Maxi Priest strolling on
    Martumbi empire road
    LKJ want fi goh rave
    Barry Biggs sideshow
    Ub40,rat in me kitchen

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If the provider is listening to Enya they will throw your James Brown/Ramones/Madness mix cd in the trash.

The Tighten It Up, Twine Time, Clapping Song, Name Game mix might go over well.
    Beatles have a ton of kids songs, Yellow Sub, All Together Now, Bungalow Bill, Good Day Sunshine...

On the mellow tip, my favorite Miles today is Sketches of Spain. I think kids and Enya fans might like.

Cosign M'Boom.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Maybe some good options in the 'sleepy sunday jazz joints' thread!
    If they played the uptempo funk stuff all the time at the day care for my youngest, i'd have to scrape the lil guy off the ceiling at the end of the day...

LaserWolf said:
    If the provider is listening to Enya they will throw your James Brown/Ramones/Madness mix cd in the trash.

Turns out the Enya thing was only because they just played what they had laying around there, which was basically old CDs that someone had brought in at some point. They're dying for new, better music, which is how I got nominated. I think a nice mix of kiddie soul, instrumental funk, mellow jazz, bossanova, reggae, and Mr. Blue Sky-type jams would be very welcome.

I would think that kids would love Booker T MGS, and Meters.
    Great thing about kids is that the hits aint played out.
    It's not cliched if you have never heard anything like it before.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

b/w

Talking Heads - Anything but "Burning Down The House" or "Psycho Killer" haha