Disc Stabilizers - Yay or Nay?

2»

Comments

• Horseleech said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    I've only heard that they were "shipping mats" and were to be used for transport. If they add sonic value with their weight, why wouldn't they just make the platter heavier instead of giving you the option to remove them?

I've read a fair amount on this subject and have never encountered the 'shipping mat' idea. In fact, iirc, the mat is packed separately from the platter when shipped.

And I don't see anybody saying it's the weight that makes the difference - it's the vibration dampening of the rubber.

I thought the whole science behind the stabalizers was the weight, but I see that is a whole other thing.

• asstro said:
    The mat is definitely packed separately, I have a 1200 still packed in the box with most of the OG packing material in place. The rubber mat is in the original brown paper sleeve. The platter isn't even mounted on a new, fresh-out-the-box 1200, to prevent the spindle/motor being damaged in transit. If you ever have to ship one you should make sure to remove the platter or you could be responsible for not packing it properly if it gets damaged.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    I've only heard that they were "shipping mats" and were to be used for transport. If they add sonic value with their weight, why wouldn't they just make the platter heavier instead of giving you the option to remove them?

When the 1200 was designed there was no though that anyone would want to remove the mat, it was an integral part of the design to limit resonance. Remember it wasn't designed for designed for DJ's, DJ's adopted it and made changes that worked and Technics recognized that and made some of those things standard (like slipmats and getting rid of the dustcover hinges).

If it wasn't designed to be removed, then why make it removable at all? Why not just make it part of the platter? And if it is just about the rubber surface, why not just have the surface of the platter be rubber?
    I don't doubt the truth of what you are saying, I'm just curious.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My guess is that it was probably cheaper to make a separate rubber mat, rather than finding a way to attach it permanently to the platter. Plus it allows the mat to be cleaned, or replaced if it got damaged somehow.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    With most turntables, they leave the mat as a separate piece so that you can replace it when it's worn out, or if you want to swap it for a different type of mat. The 1200 was not originally designed to be run without a mat, even though most don't have one these days. My Thorens came with an aftermarket "Platter Matter" rubber mat that is slightly tacky and holds the record to the platter. It's really heavy on a belt drive table, which doesn't burn out the motor but it does take a while to spin up and occasionally throws the belt off the motor pulley when switching to 45.