Living legends still Kickin' it like they mean it (Jazz I guess)

LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
The Pharoah thread has got me thinking about those artists that have been putting on good shows for what seems like forever and have no intension of stopping anytime soon. Apparently he still slays, I gotta see him before one of us dies. Other legends that I've seen in the past 8 yrs or so that never disappoint:

Hancock (with Wayne Shorter and Dave Holland and a great drummer) Top Show lost my mind good
Sonny Rollins
Ornette Coleman... amazing super crazy humble dude

who else is still producing great shows? Does Eddie Henderson play? Bobbi Humphrey? Hugh Masekela? A lot of people have dropped off in recent years. What about Europeans? ( I saw Doldinger by chance in Berlin this june, 15 minutes was just the right amount of Klaus... though they still played well) Brasillians?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Dom Salvador is still around and plays somewhat regularly in NYC from what I understand. Milton Nascimento, not jazz but close and he was in pretty poor health some years ago, so he's in that "better see him before he dies" list.

I'd love to see Phil Cohran play.

• ahmad jamal
    phil woods
    mark murphy
    eddie palmieri
    mccoy tyner
    pat martino
    roy ayers
    lonnie smith
    george benson
    gary burton
    jack dejohnette
    gary bartz
    roy haynes
    sheila jordan
    warren smith
    archie shepp
    chick corea
    janusz muniak
    buster wiliams
    sonny fortune
    dee dee bridgewater
    bucky pizzarelli
    benny golson
    dr. eddie henderson
    monty alexander
    john mclaughlin
    azar lawrence
    annie ross
    larry coyrell
    jack wilkins
    reggie workman
    andy bey
    poncho sanchez
    henry "pucho" brown
    john abercrombie
    jan garabek
    curtis fuller

• crabmongerfunk said:

eddie palmieri
    mccoy tyner
    roy ayers
    lonnie smith
    jack dejohnette
    gary bartz
    roy haynes
    archie shepp
    buster wiliams
    dee dee bridgewater
    dr. eddie henderson
    jack wilkins

Thanks crab these are the ones from that list I'd go out of my way to see live. Though I could see Bartz, Ayers and lonnie being a letdown depending on where they're at right now. Henderson would be dope I'm glad to here he's still going strong. I'd drive several hours to see Buster Williams play for sure...

A bud of mine once drove all day to see Jimmy Smith play. All he got was a drunkin' tirade... memorable none the less.

• ppadilha said:
    Dom Salvador is still around and plays somewhat regularly in NYC from what I understand. Milton Nascimento, not jazz but close and he was in pretty poor health some years ago, so he's in that "better see him before he dies" list.

Man, Cohran would be nuts. Funny you should mention Dom Salvador, I was wondering about him last night while playing his session on Muse.

Anyone seen Plunky play recently? Am listening to Space Jungle Luv right now.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

andy bey

I saw Andy about 10 years ago and he was amazing. Would see again, but haven't noticed him playing in Toronto since then.

crabmongerfunk said:

jacques des john ette

Would love to see him play - Equipoise is the joint (and album!).

RIP Charlie Haden - wish I had seen him play.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ketan said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

andy bey

I saw Andy about 10 years ago and he was amazing. Would see again, but haven't noticed him playing in Toronto since then.

crabmongerfunk said:

jacques des john ette

Would love to see him play - Equipoise is the joint (and album!).

RIP Charlie Haden - wish I had seen him play.

on the Jack DeJohnette. I absolutely love that LP.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Patrice Rushen puts on a great show. I don't see any upcoming dates but I saw her a few years ago and she kilt it

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    George Benson still has it. His voice sounds great for 71 and his guitar playing is as good as it ever was. Maybe a bit on the "smooth jazz" tip for some people but he is definitely worth seeing, he is doing some dates in the US this fall.

• add to the list:

kenny burrell
    ron carter
    wayne shorter
    mose allison
    david friedman
    ernie watts
    sam rivers
    jan garabek
    steve swallow
    keith jarrett
    bernard purdie
    jimmy heath
    toodie heath
    mtume
    morris jennings
    lee konitz
    candido
    ramsey lewis
    bunky green
    lou donaldson
    lonnie liston smith
    houston person
    gato barbieri
    plas johnson
    stanley cowell
    steve kuhn
    richard davis
    billy hart
    louis hayes

• crabmongerfunk said:
    sam rivers

No longer with us.

ppadilha said:

Me too. Definitely one of the most consistent and interesting 'out' jazz guys for decades now.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

jan garabek

saw him in durham cathedral a few years back with a men's vocal quartet. parts of it were epic.

kahil el'zabar is still pretty nice if you can handle a lot of kalimba.

• charles macpherson
    joe chambers
    rolf kuhn
    bennie maupin
    bob james
    chuck mangione
    hal galper
    dick hyman
    les mccann
    james blood ulmer
    brian auger
    bobby hutcherson
    larry carlton
    larry willis
    joey pastrana
    johnny colon
    steve gadd
    peter erskine
    carol kaye
    carlos garnett
    eddie daniels
    mike nock
    dave holland

• Crab, this is a 'gotta see before I/ they die list" I can't see every jazz great that's still alive. I don't live in New York unfortunately. Lou Donaldson is one of my heroes, I love him dearly, and I saw him play a couple of years ago. It was a good show, but it doesn't resonate yrs later like the Hancock/Shorter/ Holland show did. Maybe I'm after dudes that are still challenging themselves and their audiences.

I guess I'm also asking who have you seen recently live that blew your mind?

That said there's lot's of people I'd kill to see on your list