Eddie Palmieri sound quality

YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
I do not own the original vinyl of Eddie Palmieri's Unfinished Masterpiece and recently felt a need to get Oyelo Que Te Conviene on CD after watching Magna Gopal dance to it. Due to the mess with the Fania catalogue rights I could not find a full album reissue at a decent price and ended up buying the Nascente Dbl CD compilation "Salsa Brothers" (Eddie Palmieri & Charlie).
The track selection is good but especially on Oyelo Que Te Conviene and Cobarde (both from Unfinished Masterpiece) the sound quality is horrible. Have they messed up when they reissued this or do the originals sound poor as well? Didn't this album win a Grammy when it came out?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    I just listened to my copy and compared it to Mother of the Future by Norman Connors. Both were from clean records. The Eddie sounded muddier/less crisp, but not terrible. Pretty standard for latin jazz.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Lp sounds OK, no real issues there but by no means pristine audio. GREAT LP.

• Thanks for the feedback.
    I still don't have an original album to compare it to, but I found a 1990 CD reissue of Unfinished Masterpiece on the Musical Productions label in Miami. Clearly also a vinyl rip, but of acceptable quality. The tracks on the Nascente compilation really sound like they were ripped from Lubi Jovanovic's well worn DJ vinyl.
    Hopefully the Fania copyright situation gets resolved and a decent reissue from Masters will be issued.