Is the Art of the Crate Digging DJ mix DEAD?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central
So... I am working on a site redesign. The idea is to widdle down the mixes section and create an archive of the best vinyl / "crate digging" mixes featured on this site and promoted by strut brethren over 15 years.

See

I've noticed that the pre-Serato / pre-Soundcloud / pre-high speed Internet mixes had a lot more care and personality put into them. It was more of an event.

The post 2010 mixes were less and less exciting and in some cases dudes just slapping records together (come see my weekly DJ night type mixes.).

Do people care in 2015? Have the greats graduated on to being producers and spinning Mad Decent for wide appeal?

Just curious. If I am wrong, please steer me to some game changers. I am feeling nostalgic.

Comments

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I've done a couple projects that were mixtape/albums that were done like an actual mixtape instead of a pseudo "street album." (put them out on cassette too) Is it a dying art? I'd have to say yes, but it doesn't mean that there aren't people that want to hear them. Honestly have had some really positve feedback from people saying they miss shit like that.

http://dawhud.bandcamp.com/album/the-dig-up-aka-the-dirty-tape-hosted-by-evil-dee

^^^The one I did with DJ Evil Dee of collabs, b-sides and new ish.

http://dawhud.bandcamp.com/album/dub-styles-walkman-redemption-chronic-tape-version

^^^The one I did with all reggae records.

AIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR HORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This mix is great and it's recent:

I also enjoyed Johnny's recent mix cassette:

• I think folks still like a well thought out and composed mix (I sure do), but around 2009 or so it became so easy to share a mix via soundcloud, mixcloud, etc that I think (understandably) a lot more folks were eager to use these platforms and put stuff out there. Before that you could share via a file sharing site (divshare, mediafire, etc) but there was no social network to go with it so it was still tough to really get it out there. And before that, you had to find a website to host. And before that you were slangin CDs, and so on...

But I still love me a good mix.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    EDIT:
    Unfortunately, most djs I come across are lazy; they don't dig, they don't take any sort of risk, they just play it safe and stick to the obvious played out stuff even in scenarios where there would be nothing to lose from not doing so. Their track-lists read like any run of the mil compilation. I only know a few dudes who still actively dig, or have already built a respectable collection, and focus on selection and are willing to take risks. What I do miss about the pre-Serato era is that you truly had to be committed. First, to acquire all the gear. Second, to spend the time digging and amassing a collection. Now, you have dudes who not only don't dig but they rely on others to do it for them. For instance, via blogs, by just basically downloading everything on there. I even recall a couple of instances where people came on to this board and asked others for songs, then just put a mix together of said songs presumably using Serato. Why not just ask someone to mix it for you while you're at it.
    Maybe it's an elitist thing, but with a few exceptions based on music eras or genres, I don't really bother listening to mixes that aren't from records, and preferably originals.
    (For the record: I don't have anything against Serato, I think it's great.)
    But, yeah, it seems like everyone's a dj now, and I see people put together 'mixes' featuring rare grails they just downloaded 15 minutes ago.
    Like you mentioned Raj, a lot of the mixes out there seem like they were put together in a few minutes with little to no mixing and/or effort.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    To add to that, to me, it really boils down to selection. I like mixes that feature music I didn't know of before, unless it's mixed in a really unique or compelling way.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    RAJ said:
    So... I am working on a site redesign. The idea is to widdle down the mixes section and create an archive of the best vinyl / "crate digging" mixes featured on this site and promoted by strut brethren over 15 years.

Do people care in 2015? Have the greats graduated on to being producers and spinning Mad Decent for wide appeal?

I've noticed the flood of SS mixes on my soundcloud stream - it's amazing and overwhelming. Looks like there's some fairly good uptake across the whole lot given how many are up. Any sense on whether they're Strutteurs or non-Strutteurs listening?

I particularly love 'cut-n-paste- type mixes that go beyond just using 'vinyl-only' to mix media. Michael 'Mixxin' Moore, Coldcut/DJ Food, X-Men, Cut Chemist type of things. I definitely haven't seen those types of mixes on the radar very much in recent years... but I also haven't been looking very hard. I'd love to discover some recent classics if anyone has tips.

Not a game changer by any stretch, but my last mix was on some wannabe shit:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes. Crate digging is dying slowly.

There are still diggers out there. I see cats working hard. but only a few.
    Record collectors, lots.

Example, Discogs just put on a great show here called Crate Diggers. I brought over 150 library records. No one looked at them. Those who did look just wanted to know what they were. There was a time when dudes would buy them just because.

Shout out to Supreme and Shines. Supreme had the whole run already, Shines listened through them before the show.

Few people are looking to buy a record because it has a sample or break, or potential sample.

No. Crate digging is not dying.
    People are scooping up boogie 12s, post punk and private psych/experimental like they are CTIs in 1995.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    A lot of my mixes are still driven by what ever I am buying at the time, so I would say most of my mixes fall into that catagory. I haven't done a layered mix in a long time though, it's funny the mixes I did do that with where I spent many hours looping/layering and so on are often the mixes I still listen back to but find are less popular online, where as the mixes I just press record and go for it tend to have a fairly good uptake online but I don't find a lot of replay value in them. I think soundcloud and mix cloud etc have a lot to answer for, there is so much out there now and the good stuff is hard to find, so I have nearly given up looking.

• First of all, thanks for the kind words on the Darmels House mix.

I do one of these every couple of years, if that. In between, I might mess around with some records but it's too time consuming and mixes need to be a f&cking; event now. How many more ways can you spin the same records? DJing for people in a live setting is one thing, but the internets require a certain level of novelty to stand out. And ain't nobody got time for that especially now since you're expected to just stream everything for free and moving physical product is next to impossible.

There's so many ways to hear new/different music, the guys that could conceivably move the needle a bit aren't going to spend the time doing it for free and the guys that want to spend their days cranking out soundcloud mixes are for the most part not into this same aesthetic.

The "vinyl is making a comeback" generation are for the most part NOT into rare groove, more established DJs are doing established DJ things.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Kind of on the same line I stumbled on a youtube video where this cat was talking about how to sample and use the new MPC software. In the video he's going through how to set up everything and then after a few minutes finally goes, "let's dig in the crates." I'm thinking he's going to finally bust out a record, but the dude just pulls up youtube on his laptop. SMH

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    hey guys... check out this this compilation of other peoples music i blended together mathematically, and then slapped my name on!!!

seriously though. now that pretty much everyone is, or has the ability to dj, the mystery is gone. trying to fight that momentum is just too exhausting. they even have some color wheel now that will code your digital crates so they mix in key. i'm glad to be part of an era, and i will hold that time sacred, but my money is on writing and recording my own tunes nowadays.

i always thought that one day your archive of these mixes would be a great asset. it will come back.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    A mixed tape used to be a fuckin' cassette.

Im sorry but cats arent bred for that shit no more.

Certain eras create a specific hunger.

The parameters have changed u not gonna get that shit on the regular anymore.

• I put the aforementioned mix on cassette and it definitely sold more copies than if I had done a CD. So there's that.

also I feel like the attention span is super short now so the mix has to be 30-45 min, 60 at absolute most (even then u are pushing it)

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I put the aforementioned mix on cassette and it definitely sold more copies than if I had done a CD. So there's that.

also I feel like the attention span is super short now so the mix has to be 30-45 min, 60 at absolute most (even then u are pushing it)

I know u put your shit out on tape, but your from the older generation.

• I mean.... dude this is soulstrut. we are the older generation.

as far as the younger generation is concerned, who gives a shit?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I mean.... dude this is soulstrut. we are the older generation.

as far as the younger generation is concerned, who gives a shit?

i interpreted his question as new cats as well

• I miss the intricate layered cut and paste style mixes as well...

That Darmel's House mix by Johnny was great!!! Thanks for that man! Some classiques that I hadn't listened to in a while. Great blending and mixing as well w/ classy scratching! Thanks again!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    even amongst the "elite" of old school crate digger's mixtapes I have always found a LOT of incestuousness and lazy mixes.

Dude's rightfully want to floss their copy of ball of eyes,stark reality or hang on in there etc, but man i went on a 15 year binge of copping every name brand funk/soul/rare groove dj mixtape i could get my hands on ...... and there was a ton of the same 95 wof joints being dropped over and over.

i'd say 15-20% were really breaking out and going bonsai gonzo with euro lp's,library,ethnic breaks, doubles,edits and production work [aeiou,paul nice breaks for days etc]
    just an 'imho" ayo

• this whole summer I've been burning Disco To Get Drunk To. I wish I knew of more mixes like that. It's not all revolutionary "HOLY SHIT" records. There's some recent edits, some classics, some random pulls, and some grails. It's fucking dope to throw on when you're at the beach or when you're at some random friend's party and they look to you like HEY RECORD BRO WHERE'S THE TUNES??

I just wish more people still did 'em. I'm gonna finish the mix I'm working on now that we're on the topic.

PS (plug) my mixcloud has some random mixes of records maybe perhaps you like? http://www.mixcloud.com/GoodRecordsNYC/

• Just found an old mp3 of Greentea's Les Impression Des Demoiselles Dramatiques. Always loved that mix. What was Rory's ebay store called?? Stop'n'Cop?? I actually went to University with the dude...

Raj you should post it up to SoundCloud!

• I just put together a mix for the first time inna long minute. It was a blast... they can be such a mindfuck. But I do them for myself, it's just joints I want to bump in the ride. I still dig all the time, all the while collating sounds/ emotions that will flow, it becomes second nature.. It's an organic process that goes hand in hand with digging, and I know many guys that still think that way, but we're a crusty breed. I don't spend time layering anymore, I'm not good enough nor patient enough, and to be honest it's the source music I'm after, which is usually left field enough to keep it interesting. So yeah I guess my Mixmaster Mike type days are DEAD so to speak.
    People in the real world still love a good mix. Put some work into packaging and bang. I get sucha a kick out of going to a buds place and seeing a mix I made 5 yrs ago filed with the small collection of cassettes or CD's they still own.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    There's some recent edits, some classics, some random pulls, and some grails.

I think this is an underrated approach as well. It links into the DJ night concept of not just spinning only obscure stuff. That shit goes down with Joe Average a lot easier if you lard in the right ratio of better-known tracks.