Still Tippin' Revisited (Bringin' Up Ol' Strut-Related).

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central
The saga continues...

"Not only was he miffed that someone accused him of sampling the loop, but he maintained that he doesn't listen to classical music...ever." - Archaic aka Harvey Canal

(Salih Williams at 8:10) "I don't know where it was from, but it was some classical piece I heard..." then he goes on to talk about how he recreated it on his Fantom (X-8?) keyboard.

Is there anybody from those days even on the board anymore??

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Aside from the whole "why you gotta bring up old shit?!" shit, this is a good watch.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    :latte:

Just listened to the beat - I don't give a fuck what the guy says he does or doesn't listen to, that's a violin sample not a keyboard.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I thought we had it pegged as a lift from the Clockwork Orange soundtrack. I even changed my mind on the whole thing and gave Salih shit about it back then. But when I saw this article go up the other day, I listened through the supposed source multiple times and couldn't find the sample.

But you know what? I really don't care.

Still Tippin' is a great, landmark song...however it was made.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ha, yeah. That wasn't quite the relentless pursuit of the "Shook Ones" or the "Ice Cream" sample, but it was in the same ballpark.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "OK, why is he "miffed" about it, and why does he take it as an accusation? It's not as though people who were feeling the beat are all of a sudden saying, "Aww, he sampled that shit? Fuck that. That shit is wack now." Is there an "I don't sample" pride that I'm not hip to? "

haha, good one.