RIP Robin Williams (NRR)

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is sad. Depression is some fucked up shit. No matter how much fame, money, etc., it consumes you.

I was never a huge fan of him as a comedian, but enjoyed his dramatic roles like Goodwill Hunting.

Actually, my favorite comedic movie role of his is probably considered his worse:

RIP

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Can't even...

For my entire life this guy has been making me laugh and enjoy his work. Such a huge range as an actor.

Wish this wasn't true.

http://imgur.com/gallery/cIBWG

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Sad news. He was a great actor and humanitarian.

RIP

• parallax said:
    Sad news. He was a great actor and humanitarian.

RIP

Now it's my turn to agree with you. RIP.

And looking at some clips of early Robin, it surprises me how much he looks like the young Mel Gibson. Which is very strange.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    SF. Comedy. Bikes. All my favorite stuff.

He was a genuinely nice man. Super bummer. Deep breath shit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Shit. RIP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• Which brings us to the thing about saving SimonÔÇÖs television career.

His performance in that Homicide episode was brilliant and thorough, and when broadcast, the ratings assured that the NBC drama would run another five years. Yesterday, after the news broke, Jim Yoshimura wrote to me his sadness and reflected on the fact that he would be a starving playwright now or worse if not for Robin Williams. Me, IÔÇÖd be on a newspaper copy desk somewhere. David Mills, too, would have departed this vale as something other than a dramatist. All of our lives turned because a very rare and talented man came to Baltimore for a week and a half to film a television episode.

So, to recap: If Robin Williams doesnÔÇÖt agree to take a guest spot on a low-rated network cop show, in an era when film stars didnÔÇÖt just pop up on television all the time (and especially not in roles so far outside their perceived wheelhouse), thereÔÇÖs a decent chance The Wire never comes to be. ThatÔÇÖs far from the most important takeaway from his passing, but it does go to show how many lives one person can affect.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/david-simon-explains-how-the-wire-might-not-have-existed-without-robin-williams/

• vintageinfants, thank you for that link. I have been a long time fan of David Simon and his work (both as a writer and creator of TV). I remember seeing the episode with Robin Williams and being blown away by his portrayal of a man who lose his wife in an instant and while Homicide degenerated into mush by season 4 and 5 those first 3 seasons were gold.