Smiling Young White People Make App for Avoiding Black Neighborhoods

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central

http://valleywag.gawker.com/smiling-young-white-people-make-app-for-avoiding-black-1617775138/+sambiddle

SketchFactor, the brainchild of co-founders Allison McGuire and Daniel Herrington, is a Manhattan-based navigation app that crowdsources user experiences along with publicly available data to rate the relative "sketchiness" of certain areas in major cities. The app will launch on the iTunes on Friday, capping off a big week for the startup, which was named as a finalist in the NYC BigApps competition.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/smiling-young-white-people-make-app-for-avoiding-black-1617775138/+sambiddle

SketchFactor, the brainchild of co-founders Allison McGuire and Daniel Herrington, is a Manhattan-based navigation app that crowdsources user experiences along with publicly available data to rate the relative "sketchiness" of certain areas in major cities. The app will launch on the iTunes on Friday, capping off a big week for the startup, which was named as a finalist in the NYC BigApps competition.

Dude who wrote the article is a race-baiting idiot. A "sketchy" neighbourhood is not the same as a "black" neighbourhood.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Calling it right now...this app will be fucked with....think hacking it to do the opposite of what it claims to do.

It wasn't me.

• Someone make an app to avoid sketchy poasters please.

Controller_7 said:
    Someone make an app to avoid sketchy poasters please.

LOL!

• "Sketchy" absolutely = black.

Closest I've gotten to a physical altercation in the last 5 years was with polish louts in greenpoint. Nobody would describe that neighborhood as "sketchy".

• Battyboy420 said:
    Why hasn't a county in Africa created a cure for Ebola?

Too busy getting their space programs off the ground, I guess.

You fucking moron.

Why didn't your mom dump all of her substandard eggs before she dropped any frogs?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    "We're going to need a bigger boat"

His handle is Battyboy... Troll poaster, do not take the bait.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I don't know, maybe he's got a point. After all, DC and NYC are known for their sketchy redneck trailer parks.

• i don't know,

even battyboy's game is skippin, and he's only been alive a month

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the app says it's using publicly available data
    if that = crime data then pick on that

b / w

on their homepage it says that million hoodies partnered with them to monitor racial profiling

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Somewhat off topic but speaking of sketchy neighborhoods did anyone see the HBO doc The Newburgh Sting? There's a 'hood the feds probably could have avoided spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and being none the wiser.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Where to get the best ethnic food your all white neighborhood has to offer.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    parallax said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Dude who wrote the article is a race-baiting idiot. A "sketchy" neighbourhood is not the same as a "black" neighbourhood.

True... Can't forget those Mexican neighborhoods.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If your fuckin' scurred in these post Guliani/Bloomberg Disney Doorman Gentrification Laptop on the Subway NYC you go back to your small city/town.

Fuckin soft ass bitches. What the fuck? Go to Orlando or some shit.

Unless you in some way out Deep Brooklyn,Queens, Bronx hoods were NOBODY is walking around at night, I dont even know a whole entire "sketchy" Hood.

Are there sketchy blocks...most def. But "Avoid Spanish Harlem" is fucking stupid.

Whitey is somethin' else, man.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I just want to know if 77 E. 3rd is on the list?

Rockadelic said:

By the time I was down there nobody was getting harrassed or robbed or random gunplay on that block.

I really doubt they were terrorizing folks w/ the precinct right up the ave all these years.

They looked scary though at first site....cant front.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Doubt it will ever take off, but seems like a great way to sloooooow down gentrification...

batmon said:

Fuck you, you racist sack of shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    parallax said:
    batmon said:

Batmon ain't racist. He'd totally fuck a white chick.

• parallax said:
    batmon said:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    parallax said:
    batmon said:

Unbelievable.

Hey SoulStrut - Can't say this is a place I want to be anymore - please PM me if you want to stay in touch through email.
    Between this thread and the Israel one, it's fucking grim. It's been grand.
    xox

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    bassie said:
    parallax said:
    batmon said:

Unbelievable.

Hey SoulStrut - Can't say this is a place I want to be anymore - please PM me if you want to stay in touch through email.
    xox

HarveyCanal said:
    parallax said:
    batmon said:

Batmon ain't racist. He'd totally fuck a white chick.

Truth.

Para-Ex-Lax will be downloading the APP.

• bassie > rootlesscosmo + parralax

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    which one are you again? I get all the lil dudes confused.

bassie said:
    parallax said:
    batmon said:

Unbelievable.

xox

b/w

Mind if I call you Darkie? Serious question.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This thread is hilarious.

But seriously though, white dudes get offended over "whitey?" For reals?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yup, definitely. Even in its driest moments, I still loved it here. It was a community I valued and wanted to be part of. I made real world friends here. That's not a small thing to me.

The political threads are nothing new; the hyperboles, the willful ignorance, the expected responses from certain folks so predictable you can almost time it...all of which I have been party to myself. The lack of music posts is not a great sign but this used to be a place to get away from the bs and now it's just part of it. It's hard to get away from the acrimony when there are so many perpetrators.
    There is too much to do in the real world with like-minded people to make things better than to fight it out here.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    "Whitey"

I don't get offended by it. But I get mildly irritated that white doesn't even seem to be a race in the same way as other colours. Obama is a black president, or if somebody is feeling nit-picky, he's half-black. The other half?
    Mildly, I add. Like seeing bad grammar or something.

Back to the OP, would this app be used to sabotage property prices or something? Or if it takes off, would the website start taking bribes to alter a neighbourhood's "sketchiness"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

By the time I was down there nobody was getting harrassed or robbed or random gunplay on that block.

I really doubt they were terrorizing folks w/ the precinct right up the ave all these years.

They looked scary though at first site....cant front.

Bitd there was nowhere in the city I would not and did not go except for that street....I'd walk TWO blocks out of the way to avoid it