This New Yorker article on De La Soul

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central
http://www.newyorker.com/culture-desk/sarah-larson/magic-number-de-la-soul-twenty-five

Kind of a weird article overall, but this made me laugh.
A guy behind me with a great Q-Tip voice sang along with ???Can I Kick It?,??? which played on the speakers: ???Mr. Dinkins, will you please be my mayor?

Q-tip you say? As a writer, wouldn't you just quote a Q-tip line so that it made sense? Or does she not know the difference. Nerd level complaint and an honest mistake, but you'd think someone getting paid to write would pull up their rap genius app and verify if their memory was correct.

/nerd.

I was googling to see if there was a new De La on the horizon and stumbled on this. Happy 25th dudes.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    treadwater

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Close enough...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    On the Combat Jack show Maseo said that "Tush-et-lele-poo" is actually "Pu Lleh Eht Tuhs"... "shut the hell up" backwards!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    How many feathers are on a Perdue chicken?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Gary said:
    On the Combat Jack show Maseo said that "Tush-et-lele-poo" is actually "Pu Lleh Eht Tuhs"... "shut the hell up" backwards!

:feelin_it:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    http://www.newyorker.com/culture-desk/sarah-larson/magic-number-de-la-soul-twenty-five

Kind of a weird article overall, but this made me laugh.

A guy behind me with a great Q-Tip voice sang along with ÔÇ£Can I Kick It?,ÔÇØ which played on the speakers: ÔÇ£Mr. Dinkins, will you please be my mayor?

Q-tip you say? As a writer, wouldn't you just quote a Q-tip line so that it made sense? Or does she not know the difference. Nerd level complaint and an honest mistake, but you'd think someone getting paid to write would pull up their rap genius app and verify if their memory was correct.

/nerd.

I was googling to see if there was a new De La on the horizon and stumbled on this. Happy 25th dudes.

Sounds like you might be questionin' the author's hip-hop bonafides.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Oh my gawd, there was someone at this party I was at who knew the words to Can I Kick It by that group Tribe Called Vest. Totally have to blog about it.