Help 180 Proof Bring Strata Records To The People

2»

Comments

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    I'm a big fan of Strata sound and can't wait to hear next releases but you won't have any money from me if it's to press
    those horrible "collector" edition on blue, red or whatever color vinyl, or double LP with 45 RPM speed.

And you are wondering why you loose money?

Why don't just try to press 500 or 1000 single Lp? If labels like jazzman, kindred spirits or Superfly manage to do it and to be successful (in the way they don't have to beg on an internet forum to maintain their business) you should manage to do it to. You are on the same type of market.

Nothing personnal Amir, but it pisses me off to see such a great label catalog be ruined that way.

Just my 2 cents (that you won't get).

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Tough Crowed up in here

• vinegar said:
    I'm a big fan of Strata sound and can't wait to hear next releases but you won't have any money from me if it's to press
    those horrible "collector" edition on blue, red or whatever color vinyl, or double LP with 45 RPM speed.

And you are wondering why you loose money?

Why don't just try to press 500 or 1000 single Lp? If labels like jazzman, kindred spirits or Superfly manage to do it and to be successful (in the way they don't have to beg on an internet forum to maintain their business) you should manage to do it to. You are on the same type of market.

Nothing personnal Amir, but it pisses me off to see such a great label catalog be ruined that way.

Just my 2 cents (that you won't get).

Well, I posted on here because this is supposed to be a forum of international music lovers who support each other. I wanted to reach out to soulstrut to solicit support for what I am doing. I am in no way 'begging' for anything here. You think that my reissues are 'horrific' because I do limited edition color vinyl and double LP on 45 rpm. Ok fair enough, to each his own. However, there are plenty of djs, collectors, jazz music lovers and just music lovers that love how I am re-releasing the Strata catalog.

To clarify, I do double vinyl because most of the songs are too long to fit on just one side of the record. When I say too long, I mean a record should just only have 14 minutes or less on each side; more than that the sound quality drastically suffers. I do the records at 45 rpm because as my engineer who has over 40 years of experience in mastering explained to me 'that is the REAL proper way to have better sound quality.' I do the color ways because I thought and still think that is a fun way to do the limited editions. I also put a lot of time and money into research, restoring, archiving and curating these releases. I am a truly a one-man show!

Furthermore, Barbara Cox the owner of Strata absolutely loves what I am doing. She called me today to say that " you keep doing a great job with the packaging and sound quality. My husband Kenny would be VERY happy." Honestly, at the end of the day her opinion means a lot to me. She and all the musicians that are alive from the strata era don't think i am ruining anything at all.

I absolutely love what Jazzman, Kindred Spirits and Superfly are doing! However, I am trying to blaze my own path. I don't want to copy them.

Lastly, i am really sorry that I am 'pissing' you off with how I am presenting the strata catalog. I hope one day I can change your opinion.

Sincerely,
    amir

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Classy response, Amir.

You're obviously in it for the music and I wish you success.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    parallax said:
    Classy response, Amir.

You're obviously in it for the music and I wish you success.

just bought my copy of Maulawi on the horrible blue vinyl and looking forward to being pissed off when it arrives..

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Rishan said:

just bought my copy of Maulawi on the horrible blue vinyl and looking forward to being pissed off when it arrives..

Hahah!

Amir, i don't doubt that you put a lot of passion into this project but
    if you need to find funds after only 3 releases it's mabe time
    to question yourself a little bit...

And if so many collectors around the world like double LPS at 45 RPM with crazy colors
    i don't understand why all your previous has not been sold out.

But, yeah, that's your business...I just hope that you will be abble to reissue all this amazing catalog.
    Doesn't seem well engaged..

Ps: and,as a customer, i would like to be able to buy a strata release on single black vinyl at 33 RPM
    like the "original" six strata releases. Is is too much to ask?

ps: Rishan, you should wipe your lips, you still have a little bit of "it " on.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is not Amir's first foray into the record world.
    It appears to me that Amir has chosen not to rerelease the most profitable recordings he could find.
    Instead he is attempting to archive and preserve a label that has a very small niche in the market.
    It seems clear that the reason for this endeavor is love.
    Don't criticize him for his trying to make it work, criticize him for not releasing a heavily sampled funk 45 that you and your friends would buy doubles of.

Like i already said, it's not personnal. I criticize a man that does't seem to be
    abble to manage his business properly. I feel concern because i had great attempts
    on those Strata reissues and it seems that the story could turn short.

The "small niche" excuse doesn't work. SeriE.WOC for example reissues not
    easy to sell Lps and, for me, does a perfect work. As Superfly or Jazzmnan.

The love you put into a (musical) project has never been enough to make it work.
    If so, most of the great and rare records we are all diggin for, would have been platinum.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    vinegar said:
    Amir, i don't doubt that you put a lot of passion into this project but
    if you need to find funds after only 3 releases it's mabe time
    to question yourself a little bit...

And if so many collectors around the world like double LPS at 45 RPM with crazy colors
    i don't understand why all your previous has not been sold out.

But, yeah, that's your business...I just hope that you will be abble to reissue all this amazing catalog.
    Doesn't seem well engaged..

Ps: and,as a customer, i would like to be able to buy a strata release on single black vinyl at 33 RPM
    like the "original" six strata releases. Is is too much to ask?

ps: Rishan, you should wipe your lips, you still have a little bit of "it " on.

um, the coloured versions have all sold out. you don't even know enough about the label or products to run your mouth like this.

and yes, it is too much to ask, and it was explained clearly why. if you don't want to buy them then don't. not a tricky concept.

dearly sorry that you can't get exactly what you want in life.

how's your ass, a little bit hurt?

my couch is confortable. But thank you to worry about my ass.

Amir comes here to ask for money. I just explain him why i won't give him any, which is
    also a way to make him understand why a potential customer don't by his releases.

When your business is not that well, those kind of constructive critics can be take into account..

End of the story.

• Amir is doing a great job with Strata, no doubt.

At the same time it's a very strange concept for a for-profit company to ask for donations.

Because Amir used to be on SS many years back users on here give him a pass.

If it was anybody else people would be all over them; Thriller vs Off The Wall etc etc etc.

There's many small labour-of-love indie labels that make it work with niche releases.

Why can't 180 Proof do the same?

I think it would help Amir's cause if he explained the reason he's asking for donations.

Is it for transferring all the tapes before they deteriorate further or is it for a research trip to Bahamas?

I know it's not for the latter but some explanation would probably help.

Keep up the good work.

Good luck!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    vinegar said:
    my couch is confortable. But thank you to worry about my ass.

Amir comes here to ask for money. I just explain him why i won't give him any, which is
    also a way to make him understand why a potential customer don't by his releases.

When your business is not that well, those kind of constructive critics can be take into account..

End of the story.

you came here and criticised someone's significant achievements. I only wish you'd tried this in Soulstrut v.2006 and received far greater wits than me explaining why it is total douchebag behaviour. it is pure record snobbery, actually

• THE MAN WANTS YOUR MONEY NOT YOUR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ALSO HE REALLY LOVES MUSIC AND YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY HE LOOKS AT HER DONATE NOW

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Too bad this all becomes so negative.
    Amir only asks us to buy his releases or (in case you don't want a piece of platter) donate something.
    He's a real cool guy who kept me informed about my order which was send out this week.
    I knew in advance he was going to press the Maulawi record after a certain amount of orders came in, SO WHAT ???
    Just be thankful for what he's doing. Instead of archiving this material for private reasons, he wants to share it with all of us. Thank God he found the masters !!!

Keep in keeping on Amir

Greetings from Demonfuzz Records, Rotterdam

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Amir, thank you!
    Got my record today. Everything about is beautiful. Especially the never before heard music.