edited July 2014 in Strut Central
Hahaha... what's up with this shit?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Brooklyn disappeared at least 10 years ago

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Clearly a homage to Stonehenge

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    It's just sad. Was hanging out next to the domino sugar factory last week. Sad to see it go.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    skel said:

I think you're reading too much into it:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Frank said:
    skel said:

I think you're reading too much into it:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/12/manhattanhenge-new-york-rare-beautiful

Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium and star of Cosmos: a Spacetime Odyssey, is credited with popularising the term ÔÇ£ManhattanhengeÔÇØ ÔÇô he compares it to meanings modern society ascribes to Stonehenge, a circle of 20ft prehistoric rocks on Salisbury Plain in England.
    In a 2001 essay, Tyson surmised that when future archeologists unearth New YorkÔÇÖs remains and discover the perfect sunset between cross streets on 29 May (Memorial Day) and 12 July (the MLB All-Star break) they will inevitably conclude that the city worshipped ÔÇ£war and baseballÔÇØ.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Didn't know it was Manahattanhenge last night but I happened to be hanging on a Greenpoint pier with a friend and caught this:

@ 23rd St

A couple days earlier at 9th St:

But yeah, that Domino shit is some hideous egotecture for real.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    *this* is the plan De Blasio approved with additional "affordable housing" units.

Waiting to see how that shakes down. I'm sure it will result in a mixed income development the likes of which we've scarcely seen in this city for years.

*chortle*

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Brooklyn disappeared at least 10 years ago

There's more to Brooklyn than Williamsburg.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    *this* is the plan De Blasio approved with additional "affordable housing" units.

Waiting to see how that shakes down. I'm sure it will result in a mixed income development the likes of which we've scarcely seen in this city for years.

*chortle*

Well, it was the plan that Bloomberg approved and De Blasio held up until they put in more affordable housing units. But yeah, it will be interesting to see just how 'affordable' those units are. While I dig that they've cleaned up the parks along the East River, I don't really feel all the disneyfied shops and housing in that area.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They could've at least made it spell out LOL or YOLO.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Frank said:
    Hahaha... what's up with this shit?

Perhaps they're trying to build the world's largest Google Doodle

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    egotecture
    That is a truly appropriate and hilarious term.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    makes me want to move back...