Yo TexStrut, Austin 4th July Weekend what's poppin?

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
I'm taking the 15 year old and his best friend to Austin 3rd thru 6th for the Rooster Teeth convention, a gaming con.
This was supposed to be me and the wife, her mom got sick, so it's just me and the kids. Staying at the Radisson downtown on Chavez
and congress. So I got two days and nights and no plans, the teens are self sustaining, can walk few blocks to the convention center and
back, so I'm free all day and night after dinner.

I want to keep around downtown.
I like dicey bars and funky clubs.
I like looking at records and thrift shit.
I like high end design.
Anybody been to the skatepark?
I like to smoke trees with friendly people.
I like beer and whiskey.

What's happening, who's around?
First drink is on me.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Walk to East 6th Street, go beneath the highway over to Liberty (con East Side King), the Grackle, Hotel Vegas, etc. That's your grimy bar section downtown.

For less grimy, go to the bars at the Stephen F. Austin and Driskill Hotels.

Records are to be had at Friends of Sound and Breakaway Records.

Also, don't sleep on Sol y la Luna for breakfast. It's in a janky spot, but it's good food.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    End of an Ear might be worth checking out also. They have a lot of re-issues but you can find some gems mixed in.

There's a map of shops around Austin on this site just in case you start venturing out of the center of town.
    http://www.vinylaroundaustin.com/

This Thursday 7/3
    The Boogie with The Austin Boogie Crew (at Plush)
    https://www.facebook.com/events/573556202760728/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Whiskey in Austin
    http://www.thrillist.com/drink/austin/downtown/the-10-best-whiskey-bars-in-austin-thrillist-austin

East Side Showroom makes some damn good cocktails.

The Gatsby makes a good Old Fashioned also.
    http://www.thegatsbyaustin.com/

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    on Liberty (con East Side King). The ESK pork belly in steamed buns are worth making the trip.

• Thanks doods!

Is FOS in walking distance from my spot? That's probably the only vinyl stop I'll need.

Trying to make this a little solo vacation, so walking around window shopping and stopping
    in spots for a cocktail as the day goes by is what I'm after. Any cool shops or galleries I shouldn't miss?

If you wanted to get a steak downtown on Sat. nite, where would you go?

I'm bringing the vaporizer, and have a connect there for materials.
    I'm used to being able to inconspicuously walk and vape in Nola.
    Where's a good park or less-inhabited block downtown to enjoy such a thing?

This may be a stretch, but do y'all know any skatable ditches around? Austin is kinda famous for that,
    but all the kids on the Sk8 forums are snarky and flame me when I ask about it. Ha.

I lived in San Antonio for years and took lots of day trips to Austin, so I've seen the bats, been to Franklins,
    swam in the lakes, etc.

Harvey, no Rapp Showz that weekend?

Drinks still on me, Holleur on the PM Shied!

vinylstalker said:
    Thanks doods!

Is FOS in walking distance from my spot? That's probably the only vinyl stop I'll need.

Trying to make this a little solo vacation, so walking around window shopping and stopping
    in spots for a cocktail as the day goes by is what I'm after. Any cool shops or galleries I shouldn't miss?

If you wanted to get a steak downtown on Sat. nite, where would you go?

I'm bringing the vaporizer, and have a connect there for materials.
    I'm used to being able to inconspicuously walk and vape in Nola.
    Where's a good park or less-inhabited block downtown to enjoy such a thing?

This may be a stretch, but do y'all know any skatable ditches around? Austin is kinda famous for that,
    but all the kids on the Sk8 forums are snarky and flame me when I ask about it. Ha.

I lived in San Antonio for years and took lots of day trips to Austin, so I've seen the bats, been to Franklins,
    swam in the lakes, etc.

Harvey, no Rapp Showz that weekend?

Drinks still on me, Holleur on the PM Shied!

FOS is just over a mile walk from the Radisson.

Perry's for a classier steak spot downtown. If you want something cheaper and low key Hoffbrau.
    http://www.originalhoffbrausteaks.com/

Walk down South Congress near FOS for window shopping. Stop in Perla's for a drink and/or some oysters.

Skateparks and ditches map:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109640080368066199778.000462203e3041c486e2b&dg=feature

Skate ditch = 45th and Guadalupe.

The skate park is very nice, but often very crowdeded.

The BMX track on 9th Street is otherwordly. Even just to watch.

A steak downtown? Go to the Vince Young Steakhouse and tell me how the Pete Carroll's chin on a platter tastes. I've never been.

Friends of Sound you can walk to from the Convention Center. It's about a mile or less.

Friday Night at the Sahara Lounge is Body Rock where dj's Chorizo Funk and Chicken George are doing an Outkast/Stevie Wonder thingy.

I'll have my daughter most of the weekend, so not sure if I'll be available for beers.

Hell to the yes on Hoffbrau.

• BBradley, that map is amazing, thanks much! I know what i'm doing Sunday now.

Hofbrau has been googled and looks rad. That's where i'll be sat nite fo sho.

Lunch maybe? My kid won't be with me but i'm kid friendly.

A mile walk is nothing. Sounds like the blocks around FOS will be good for a stroll.

Keep em coming!

vinylstalker said:
    BBradley, that map is amazing, thanks much! I know what i'm doing Sunday now.

Hofbrau has been googled and looks rad. That's where i'll be sat nite fo sho.

Lunch maybe? My kid won't be with me but i'm kid friendly.

A mile walk is nothing. Sounds like the blocks around FOS will be good for a stroll.

Keep em coming!

My friend told me about Banister Ditch (on the map) a couple weeks ago. The pictures he showed me looked pretty cool.

I'm pretty busy this week. Otherwise, I'd offer to drive you around to see some spots.

• BB: I'm driving over from La, so I'll have my car.
    I'm thinking Sunday Ditch Tour.
    I'm an old crusty dude, just hit my 30 years on the board mark, but I still like to Riiiipppp.
    Would love to session if you're around.

Is No Comply the go to shop?

vinylstalker said:
    BB: I'm driving over from La, so I'll have my car.
    I'm thinking Sunday Ditch Tour.
    I'm an old crusty dude, just hit my 30 years on the board mark, but I still like to Riiiipppp.
    Would love to session if you're around.

Is No Comply the go to shop?

I haven't really skated in years so I'm out of the loop. No Comply and Tekgnar are closest to downtown though.

http://www.nocomplyatx.com/
    http://austinskateboards.com/

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Was down last weekend and visited some dive bars on E. 6th.....Shangri-La was Hipster Heaven and Rio Rita Lounge was more laid back and down to earth......but the bar I actually enjoyed the most was a brand new spot called Wonderland.

• Rockadelic said:
    ......but the bar I actually enjoyed the most was a brand new spot called Wonderland.

Googled, looks like a hipster bar.
    What makes it Rock-Approved?

And what is East Side King? Texan for Thai food?

Please to spill beans on best mexican for friday lunch.
    Will drive if I must.
    Mexican. Not TexMex.
    I'm all Tex-Mexed out after a lifetime of Houston trips and SanAntonio college days, thanks.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    Rockadelic said:
    ......but the bar I actually enjoyed the most was a brand new spot called Wonderland.

The first two spots were packed, hot and had one too many VU tracks being played by the hipster "DJ"......the funny thing is Wonderland apparently took over a spot that was a hipster stalwart so the locals are are "boycotting" this new spot which meant it was not very crowded so you could actually have a conversation, cool temperature wise, served a decent drink and had pictures of Roky Erickson all over the place.

All that, plus I'm old.

Rockadelic said:
    vinylstalker said:
    Rockadelic said:

The first two spots were packed, hot and had one too many VU tracks being played by the hipster "DJ"......the funny thing is Wonderland apparently took over a spot that was a hipster stalwart so the locals are are "boycotting" this new spot which meant it was not very crowded so you could actually have a conversation, cool temperature wise, served a decent drink and had pictures of Roky Erickson all over the place.

All that, plus I'm old.

Ah, Wonderland took over Cheer Up Charlie's spot. That's right. Never takes much to get the lesbians riled up. Of course, now people are bent out of shape over Cheer Up Charlie's re-opening in place of Club DeVille. We're always playing some sort of venue shuffle around here.

If you want to splurge on some amazing Mexican food, go to Fonda San Miguel on North Loop. It's worth the high prices, trust me. On cheaper levels, I'd recommend El Caribe on North Lamar, Curra's on Oltorf, Little Mexico on South 1st, and La Cazuela's on Cesar Chavez. Also, La Mexicana Bakery on South 1st is great for to-go tacos.

• Aha, Fonda San Miguel! My Austin schwerb connect (an old college bf of the wife, kinda creepy, passing on going out bar hopping with the dude)
    recommended this place. How expensive can Mexican be?
    I think I'll try it as it's only tex-mex here in the boot.

vinylstalker said:
    Rockadelic said:

And what is East Side King? Texan for Thai food?

Please to spill beans on best mexican for friday lunch.
    Will drive if I must.
    Mexican. Not TexMex.
    I'm all Tex-Mexed out after a lifetime of Houston trips and SanAntonio college days, thanks.

My favorite Mexican Food for lunch is La Tapatia (https://plus.google.com/101135553571960559316/about?gl=us&hl=en). It's about as authentic as you can get (to me anyway). The clientele is mostly Mexican workers during the day, the staff barely speaks English, and you'll come out stinking like grease when you leave.

I can't remember what day but they have a $4.99 special with Chicken enchiladas, tostada, taco, beans and rice.

The Bistec a la Mexicana is what I usually get

vinylstalker said:
    Aha, Fonda San Miguel! My Austin schwerb connect (an old college bf of the wife, kinda creepy, passing on going out bar hopping with the dude)
    recommended this place. How expensive can Mexican be?
    I think I'll try it as it's only tex-mex here in the boot.

http://www.fondasanmiguel.com/Fonda_Menu.pdf

• HarveyCanal said:

Fuckin' YUM.

And for really well made ethnic food of any type, those prices aren't too bad.

So, wandering downtown Friday, Hofbrau friday nite, maybe check out dj chorizo thingy.
    Saturday ditch tour, back to hotel for shower, and FondaSanMiguel that evening, followed
    by mellow barhopping.
    Sunday skatepark tour, you guys have like 3 Grindline parks, that's amazing.

Looking good, thanks so much!

Oh yeah. Papalote Taco House...

http://yumpapalote.com/menu

• Good morning Austin! Got in super late, but it's all good.
    Heading out in search of coffee.
    I'm thinking breakfast slash brunch at the driskill.

Gonna need a full report.