NYC Strut Meetup (Late June/Early July 2014)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
Friday, June 27, 2014 or Saturday, June 28, 2014 or Tuesday, July 1, 2014 or Wednesday, July 2, 2014 after 8:00 pm

what days are best for folks? thinking drinks and bro/broette down. who is down? suggestions on a venue?

Comments

• yeah I'm in

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hmmmm.........

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Friday, June 27, 2014 or Saturday, June 28, 2014 or Tuesday, July 1, 2014 or Wednesday, July 2, 2014 after 8:00 pm

what days are best for folks? thinking drinks and bro/broette down. who is down? suggestions on a venue?

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

Saturday works best for me so that I don't disrupt my massage on Friday evenings :necessary: . It would be great to finally meet you, my man!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• looking forward to meeting stacks and vi.

who else is out there?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    who wants to hang out

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Tuesday 7/1 is the only day that would really work for me out of those but don't let me stop you.

Saturday on the late tip might work.... coming back from a family vacation that day though and might be wiped.

• Hey folks--- so how about a meet-up on Tuesday, July 1, 2013 (Canada's b-day) anywhere in nyc for a few drinks (day or night)?

walking around bklyn today if anybody is around and feels like record shopping.

questions:

-best flea for jazz/latin records?

- is that jazz shop in harlem something to see?

-any private dealers i need to hook up with? fishing for some leads here...(PM with deets)

-is peter luger's really that good, is it a crowd-pleaser and are the prices anywhere near reasonable (aka, can i get a nice steak for under $50.00?

-big stacks, i am in t-neck on Sunday and Monday, is that your neck of the woods?

- i am probably getting dragged to a musical tonight. has anyone seen "holla if ya hear me" and if so is it bearable or will it be cringefest? are there any other "musicals" anyone can recommend for a guy who generally fucking hates musicals?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

-is peter luger's really that good, is it a crowd-pleaser and are the prices anywhere near reasonable (aka, can i get a nice steak for under $50.00?

I think it's really good, and a steak for two is something like $80, but I don't think you'll spend less than $100 per head including sides (which aren't included with the steak) and drinks. I always recommend the lunchtime burger - it's reasonably priced and pretty delicious. Get it without the cheese though, from what I remember they put shitty american square cheese on it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you're not going to get into luger if you don't already have a reservation
    absolutely worth it though

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

-big stacks, i am in t-neck on Sunday and Monday, is that your neck of the woods?

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

I'm down in Franklin Township about 30 or so minutes southwest from you. Get at me on the PMs for contact information.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    you're not going to get into luger if you don't already have a reservation
    absolutely worth it though

Lunch is the secret at Lugers's. Cheaper and not nearly as crowded.

crabmongerfunk said:

-best flea for jazz/latin records?

- is that jazz shop in harlem something to see?

there is no flea market in NYC that is particularly good for records - development has closed most of the smaller fleas and people hit the remaining ones hard and early but Chelsea is probably your best bet for randomness at a reasonable hour - sometimes folks set up late after the wolves have already returned home, and you won't be out in the sticks in the event you come up with nothing.

are you talking about the Jazz Museum in Harlem?

• Shop in harlem called "big apple jazz"

Is that jazz museum good?

Please more recommendations on cheap to mid priced eats

never heard of it. you have a link?

the Jazz Museum is small but has some interesting artifacts. I dunno, if you're headed to Harlem it might be worth it.

mentioned elsehwere, but Mighty Quinn's BBQ is around the corner from my shop and for under $10 you can get a heaping plate of brisket with slaw and pickled veggies, pretty good deal and it's delicious.

pizza has been covered elsewhere but if you do happen to be uptown, the original Patsy's in the old Italian part of East Harlem is allegedly the first place to sell by the slice; is still one of the best slices in NYC and at $1.75 also one of the cheapest. 1st Ave btwn 117th/118th

• thanks.

here is a link for that shop:

http://nyc.jazznearyou.com/big-apple-jazz-nyc.php#.U679QbH7DVg

Big Apple Jazz is located in the historic jazz district of Harlem. We feature the largest indie jazz selection featuring the rare and hard to find recordings of local legends such as Bob Cunningham, Bill Saxton, Annete St. John, Hakim Jami, David Doorah, Bobbi Humphrey, Leonore Raphael, and the great up and comers like Claire Daly, Eri Yamamoto, Leeolive Tucker, Gene Ess, Sedric Choukron, and Kevin McNeal.

We also have an amazing collection of legendary concerts recorded live in New Yorks historic and current clubs and concert stages like Charles Mingus at Cafe Bohemia, Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall, and the Five Spot, Stanley Turrentine at Minton's Playhouse, and Joe Williams at Count Basie's (recorded across the street from Big Apple Jazz).

Fine art and posters, T-shirts and hats, notecards and postcards, dvds and books, and a wide selection of jazz themed gift items round out our jazz boutique's inventory. But our back room performance center finishes the story with free jazz concerts daily up in EZ's Woodshed every afternoon.

closed, and I don't believe had vinyl.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Closed years ago. I think it was mostly a club that had some Jazz ephemera and a few CDs.

EDIT: What he said.

• dudes, thanks. you basically just saved my afternoon.

ha. you could do worse than wandering around Harlem on a sunny Saturday, though [/homer]

• JP: going to amble around Harlem. Any spots I need to check? Food? Any no go areas?

B/w mighty Quinn brisket was great! Butta

crabmongerfunk said:
    JP: going to amble around Harlem. Any spots I need to check? Food? Any no go areas?

You probably dont need to go above 135th. But walkthru 125th street just to say u did.

If u can...check out the old Fire Watchtower at the top of Marcus Garvey Park.

Yeah. the fire tower is cool. those steps used to be a 24/7 drug market not too long ago and now you can jog there with your pet. Sisters is a Jamaican spot on 124th/Madison (NE corner of Marcus Garvey Park) that has really good food. Curry Goat, Jerk Chicken, etc. But there's not much else around there and if you keep going east you will find yourself in a world of doped up zombies. A couple nice juice bars, Madison @ 126th and a few down 125th if you go for the cold pressed juice thing. Not much great food on 125th, but Lenox Ave has a lot of options. Sylvia's is okay for soul food but mostly it's kind of a tourist destination, Red Rooster gets a lot of press and has a lively bar scene but honestly is wild overrated to me (it was ill when Chairman Mao was playing classics there every Sat night but that is alas no more). Actually I find most of the new upscale spots on Lenox to be lacking. Harlem Shake at 124th/Lenox is kind of nice for the overall experience and a quick lunch. Soda fountain style with shake shack-esque burgers, last time I was in there they were playing NWA.

I would try to get off 125th it's basically just a shopping mall at this point. f you just meander around in the 120s-130s you'll find historic blocks and buildings, a little googling can find the old locations of various important venues/spots or what have you.... cool if u geek out on that stuff. walk back down Lenox to Central Park at 110th. You could hop on the 2 there or keep strolling through the park.

More food... some great African joints along 116th from 7th/ACP to 8th/FDB, also lots of new places along 8th/FDB but nothing to really write home about. I like Les Ambassades for fresh croissants and Senegalese fare. Spanish Harlem is a whole nother thing. Mentioned Patsy's elsewhere, cruise by Rao's and wonder what it tastes like because nobody can get a table there without connections. Charles Pan Fried Chicken is bomb, that's way up top though 152nd/8th next to Jackie Robinson Park. If you find yourself venturing west towards Columbia Spoonbread II on 110th/Columbus is good soul food. But that's kind of far from central Harlem.

I think Apollo/State Building/Mosque #7 a must see.

Its not like some Empire State shit where u have to play a fee and all that hassle.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon the dogs are scared right now
    how is the cat doing